Took me about half a day because I probably didn't get the mezzling board fully connected.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 40post #586 of 16685/2/12 at 11:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #587 of 16685/2/12 at 12:02pm
Yeah, I had never done anything like the upgrade before but it was pretty easy. The only things I wish the videos or manual pointed out, which may be self-evident to other people:
- The supplied screwdriver was too large for me to properly remove the screws on the bottom of the case, I had to use a smaller one of my own.
- Give the I2S cable a very firm press in, I was too gentle with mine and it actually came out after about an hour of operation. I was freaking out when the music stopped, thinking of all possible causes, until I opened the case and saw the problem.
- You have to remove the washer on the MK2's coax port before you can line up the board with the screws and slide it through the back.
Maybe I'm just dumb and everyone instinctively knew these things, but I hope these tips save you some time.
I think my MK2 is nearing the 100 hour mark, and the sound really seems to be opening up. The soundstage had been very dimensional and full from the beginning, but now the sound just seems more robust and the slight hint of tinniness and timidity the DAC had initially is gone. I'm also burning in my Liquid Fire simultaneously, so this could account for some of the changes I'm hearing.
I'm using firmware version 2.02, is there any word on whether a new update is on the way? I don't have any issues with 2.02, and it works fine with my USB to coax converter (Halide Design Bridge). But I'm curious to see what, if any, improvements a new firmware could provide in response to the criticism of the sound of version 2.10.post #588 of 16685/2/12 at 12:30pmThread Starterpost #589 of 16685/2/12 at 12:34pmpost #590 of 16685/2/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #591 of 16685/2/12 at 2:07pm
Thanks, but it seems the link in that post was removed. I'm logged into the PS forums, and when I run my cursor over the white page attached to his file, there's no option to download the 2.03 firmware. Is it still available somewhere else? I'm especially curious to try 2.03 since it seems to have some adjustments for coax, which is what I use.
Seems like PS Audio really buried 2.03, the only version I can get under "My PS" is 2.10, and the only one that still seems to be on the forums is 2.02.post #592 of 16685/2/12 at 2:18pmpost #593 of 16685/2/12 at 3:56pmQuote:
I'll take you up on that, too, if you don't mind ;)post #594 of 16685/3/12 at 4:25ampost #595 of 16685/3/12 at 9:34am
It's not very intuitive, but the dedicated page for firmware seems to be under the "My PS" tab, once you've registered your device. The site and the forums are a mess.
purrin, thanks for sending me the firmware. I'm going to give it a try now to see if I hear any differences. I'm still haven't had the time or inclination to do any critical comparisons of the 2 outputs with my LCD-3; my very initial and gut reaction is that the #1 output has a slightly wider and more diffuse soundstage, at the cost of some midrange presence. On the other hand, the #2 output has a slightly more forward midrange and maybe a brighter presentation overall, but at the expense of some soundstage width.post #596 of 16685/3/12 at 9:57am
I was running the 2.1 then I tried the 2.0.2 (thanks to Purrin) and I found it a little bit in the darker side of the sound then I loaded the 2.0.3 and really like it. IMO it is in the middle between the 2.1 and the 2.0.2 regarding sound.post #597 of 16685/3/12 at 10:31am
Just got my MK II board installed.
Not difficult apart from the directions were confusing when trying to determine if you had board A or B. Had to call & talk to Mark to get clarification. Got to go listen now....post #598 of 16685/3/12 at 8:36pmpost #599 of 16685/3/12 at 8:37pm
I think so. I tried navigating through J River, but that caused everything to crash. Supposedly PS Audio will be implementing a play function on eMMpost #600 of 16685/3/12 at 8:46pmQuote:
That would be a nice addition. I was afraid I was going to have to use this as an excuse to buy an iPad.
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 4 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 7 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 8 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 8 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 8 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 9 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 9 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › IC : Grado HP1000 9 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear