- 5,939 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
They are re-branded Takstar Pro's with a mic attachment. Very good pair of headphones for the price, readily available and frequently on sale even here in Canada. The bass on these is...
Worth the money for anyone wanting a cheap pair of headphones. Won't blow anyone away but for $40 you can't do much better. Build quality is lacking and the cables really suck, so these do have...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 4post #46 of 16668/1/10 at 12:21pmThread StarterWell, the beta got ship out couple days ago. Let's hope we will get ours by the end of the month.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 16668/1/10 at 12:32pmpost #48 of 16668/2/10 at 7:20amThread Starterpost #49 of 16668/5/10 at 8:31am
For grins, did anyone ever compare one of these PWDs against a Lavry DA11 or a Cambridge 840c?
I'm looking at features and such and I could see a situation down the road where I might consider a PWD and PWT with bridge setup for myself if the funds are there and the situation is right. If did that, obviously I'd be selling my Cambridge 840c and probably another piece of gear. I'm in no hurry on the subject, just tantalized for now. I'm certainly happy with what I currently have but I admit to having been watching this product line with increasing interest.post #50 of 16668/5/10 at 8:48amThe Network Bridge is installed and up and running :)
No real problems with the Bridge install. At first it didn't see the wired network, cycled the power and wa-la network connection, no problem. Typical network type issue that makes non-computer people pull their hair out.
Tonight I'll try a comparison of full wav fed across the network to the bridge vs full wav fed via SPDIF fed directly from a M Audio Audiophile 192 (coax 75 ohm) properly configured Exemplar Audio Music Server.
Fun! fun! fun!post #51 of 16668/5/10 at 5:09pm
For those who are interested PS Audio has created a PWD Network Bridge Beta Blog. Totally transparent. The Beta Testers (I'm Ethan) are posting the entire naked truth for all to see.
Give PS Audio Credit.
I am. Now I'm going back to listening to the Bridge/PWDpost #52 of 16668/5/10 at 7:50pmQuote:
Thanks for the heads up.
post #53 of 16668/18/10 at 11:27pmpost #54 of 16668/19/10 at 7:39am
I found out yesterday that as of August 15th, authorized PS Audio dealers in the country including Audio Advisor and Music Direct on the Internet, are running a promotion where you can get up to $1000 worth of trade in value towards the purchase of either a Perfectwave DAC or a Perfectwave Transport. I would suspect that would also include any Head-Fi sponsors that carry them but obviously I don't want to speak for anyone.
$1000 is the most you can get per piece of equipment and it has to be a 1:1 ratio and confined to DACs, Transports, CD players, and DVD players on trade. They determine by condition of unit and MSRP of unit.
Promotion runs until about the end of October. Does not include the Bridge.
Doesn't count for B-Stock. New units only. The only downside is I'd still be out three grand upfront for the DAC and then the $1000 would come back to me after I send in the trade in unit and assuming all was well with it.
I'm casually thinking about it. Plenty of time to stew on it. I figured I'd give you all the heads up.
How are you owners getting along these days?
Edited by A.Thorsen - 8/19/10 at 7:49ampost #55 of 16668/19/10 at 9:40amThe Beta testing is proceeding. I've run into a hardware problem (System related, not PWD/Bridge related) so until parts arrive I'm in a holding pattern.
In direct comparisons between WAV streamed via the Bridge vs WAV via SPDIF using Siltech Golden Ridge II from my Exemplar/Oppo BDP-83SE there is next to no difference. I for one am surprised, I was not buying into PS Audio's spiel that the Bridge would be as good as any transport. I don't have a PWT, so I can't speak to that comparison, but so far sonic quality is exceeding my expectations.
Updates for the iPad/iTouch/iPhone interface are coming fast and furious, so it is too early to reach any conclusion concerning the user interface. What I can say is the PS Audio is addressing any issues with amazing speed.
Edited by Yikes - 8/19/10 at 9:58ampost #56 of 16668/19/10 at 9:47amThread Starterpost #57 of 16668/19/10 at 11:05am
I too am super excited with the bridge coming out. I was able to snag a PWD 6 months ago for less than $2k so it was a good investment to me, along with the discounted Bridge pre-order. I am just hoping that the Bridge will make an audible difference compared to listening straight out of itunes on my iMac through USB.post #58 of 16668/30/10 at 9:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Yikes
Sorry, with the heat and everything I actually haven't been doing much listening, so I haven't done the comparisons between my Exemplar DAC and my PWD. Someone asked me about the USB input; I replied - I don't use USB. It is a flawed format. It was not engineered with high performance Audio transmission as the goal, SPDIF and AES/EBU were. I am 100% convinced that the headlong plunge that DAC's are taking towards the USB interface is Marketing driven. End users who want to use their computers as a source want it to be High Performance, but more importantly they want it to be easy, and magically low and behold USB (Which certainly is easy) suddenly becomes good, I don't buy it.
Of course the new USB DAC's are better than they were before, but that doesn't mean that the USB interface matches the performance of the older but DEDICATED digital audio transmission methods. It just means that they are getting better. So eventually I will do some comparisons between my DAC's, but not with USB. I have no interest in pursuing a flawed format. I anticipate that for Computer based audio I will be using PS Audio's Network Bridge (If it lives up to expectations (Hype)), and for spinning Discs I'll be using my Exemplar BDP-83SE (Which is still breaking in, but already sounding great).Quote:
That's good I'll be sure to leave it off.
post #59 of 16668/30/10 at 9:59pm
The bridge sounds great and I'll probably end up getting it, but would it really be that much better than perhaps a Squeezebox touch running S/Pdif to the unit? Am I totally off here? Is the network bridge driving the DAC with I2S?
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Aegis Amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 9 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 9 minutes ago
- › Headamp Pico Amp/DAC 9 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 11 minutes ago
- › Ears problem with headphones, please help 12 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Brainwavz B150 by B9Scrambler
- › Cayin i5 by howdy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear