- 334 Posts. Joined 12/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
First of all, thank you so much to Ifi-Audio for sending me a black edition to review for free! Really awesome of them to involve the audio community to such a degree. I will keep this review...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 91post #1351 of 16663/4/14 at 2:47pmTo your point, I just bought a brand new one yesterday at a great price, to be delivered tomorrow, and will wait to or if update until expected DS bugs get worked out!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1352 of 16663/5/14 at 10:40ampost #1353 of 16663/5/14 at 7:02pmQuote:
I will get one and keep my PWD2 once you can get them for a discount through a dealer.post #1354 of 16663/6/14 at 12:46amQuote:
It's $1995 until the run out of a limited supply, and it's discontinued. I think you guys should jump on the $2K price, don't upgrade, and then lose PS Audio's phone number to avoid temptation...
Also their site is misleading because it's showing the new DAC as $3995 on the main page, but when you click on it to get to the DAC page then it's $5995 unless you take the $2K trade-in.post #1355 of 16663/12/14 at 9:29ampost #1356 of 16663/12/14 at 9:42ampost #1357 of 16663/13/14 at 7:00amBTW, here is an awesome guide how to setup gapless streaming with the bridge using foobar2000 and control via headless remote app using either iOS or android:
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/6573/giving-back-howto-gapless-audio-on-pwd-ii-with-bridgepost #1358 of 16663/13/14 at 5:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW
The product not only sounds amazing and cheap compared to 30 k dacs , but makes all inputs sound the same as well as not having to use expensive cables anymore. A cheap rats hack cable sounds the same as audio quest diamond that cost 750 . Usd. That is ground breaking. To me. .
They said the Digital Lens (NativeX) would make all inputs into the PW MK2 sound the same, which was baloney. And I guess this seems like a bargain if you are comparing it to the excess of a $30K DAC (which is probably depreciating more each year than the full retail price of the Direct Stream) but PS Audio with this launch has left me feeling less like I own a finished product than a high cost annual subscription to their "DAC of the month" club.
Also, before selling your expensive cables for Radio Shack's budget line, remember that PS Audio tends to over promise and under deliver. Yes, the upgraded MK1 to MK2 DAC was a step up from the MK1, but the Bridge sounded lousy, new production MK2s didn't sound anywhere near as good as upgraded MK1s, and most of their firmware "upgrades" were sonic downgrades.post #1359 of 16663/13/14 at 6:06pmWhen using my offramp the native x must remain off as the offramp does the heavy lifting . I never owned a Pwd mkii. . Imowned the bridge and the offramp best that easily .
So I figure the new dac will best the offramp. At that point it's really good dac worth much more than it's asking price. So as I a not looking to disagree but I do hear things a little different . But we all have our opinions . Do you use the Pwd with headphones or speakers . And what firmware are u using ?
Alpost #1360 of 16663/14/14 at 4:28am
As an FYI to any lurkers sitting on the fence the PWD2 is now $2495 and...
The PerfectWave DAC has been discontinued and replaced by the DirectStream DAC.
Four left, get them while you still can. Guessing the price went up after owners of the MK2 collectively went ape **** on PS for trashing their resale value ;)post #1361 of 16663/14/14 at 10:20pm
I'm a new PWD MKII owner. The PWD was furnished with firmware v 2.4.1, which sounded great. But eventually I updated to 2.4.3 as recommended by PS Audio, which IMO is a downgrade in sound quality. Anyone else here have similar experience? Thanks.post #1362 of 16663/15/14 at 3:34ampost #1363 of 16663/15/14 at 9:30amI don't have the bridge. I'm using USB input only for now. I was hesitant in buying the bridge after reading about the problems others were having with its implementation. Thanks.post #1364 of 16663/15/14 at 10:30amIf you do not own a bridge do not buy one. , at some point in the future they will have a bridge 2 and hopefully this one will be fine.
Now I did read that the Pwd sounds better with the bridge inside but not using it. As I do not have one I cannot comment. I am using the 243 and that is what has been shipping with the dac. Also how do you connect it to your amp.
How is the volume control being implemented in your system.
Alpost #1365 of 16663/15/14 at 11:00am
I am new owner of PWD MKII too, got it just few days back. Using it USB->MKII_>Emo UPA-200 (power amp)->HE-6, and it sounds great. I need do EQ a bit, but I am happy with it.
I am wondering if I am missing an Premap, not sure if the output volts from MKII RCA output is ideal match for power amps which has input sensitivity of 1.1 V (for full output; 8 ohms). I have read that output volts of MKII can be change using remote, but not sure how to do that.
Please suggest if I can change the output volts on MKII, if yes what should be appropriate output volts.
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 8 seconds ago
- › Is there a meaningful limit to resolution? Optics analogy to Audio 36 seconds ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › iTunes vs the world! (AAC quality?) 2 minutes ago
- › Looking to upgrade from Icon IDO DAC/amp for Ipod 2 minutes ago
- › xuelin ihifi780 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 3 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear