I'm glad they finally made it easier to figure out. Picking through the forums for the right version was a nightmare.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 86post #1276 of 166811/23/13 at 2:31am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1277 of 166811/23/13 at 12:54pm
^And getting copies of the firmware files is easier now (plus they provide specific instructions to force load earlier versions).
Thanks out to the members that were kind enough to email files behind the scenes to each other!
(Have to say that email w/PS Audio has been good, they responded when I requested files...but this move should make it much easier for all of us.) Glad they keep supporting this DAC and trying to make improvements to the firmware. It still sounds great.post #1278 of 166811/23/13 at 1:44pm
I am even happier with the PWD2 post 2.4.1. It was the best firmware so far. Improved dynamics and focus but retaining the organic element as well. I did not like the early 2.0.x firmware versions, but 2.4.1 is the best out of both worlds imo.
I tried a version of 2.4.3 but there were some faint pops when changing tracks. I will give a try to the one that's published now.
Edited by negura - 11/23/13 at 1:45pmpost #1279 of 166811/23/13 at 2:02pmpost #1280 of 166811/23/13 at 2:04pmpost #1281 of 166811/23/13 at 2:15pmpost #1282 of 166811/23/13 at 2:17pmpost #1283 of 166811/23/13 at 2:23pmOk I have speakers with the Pwd mkii. I have not tried the new firmware with headphones, I'm glad to hear it sounds fine. I had emailed Paul a couple of times regarding headphones to make changes in firmware as well as speakers . But he is old school just speakers.
Al Dpost #1284 of 166811/23/13 at 5:24pmQuote:post #1285 of 166811/23/13 at 5:36pm
2.4.3 is on. No more radio tuning noise. Sounds similar to 2.4.1 or I didn't pick up any SQ changes and not going to rollback and forth to check it. :P
Still some bugs with 2.4.3: When using the PS Audio USB driver 2.4.3 and changing the sample rate say: 44khz to 192khz there's a weird noise for about 1 second. Sampling back down there's no problem. With Asio4All I don't get this problem.
Overall I think over the various firmware upgrades the PWD2 stepped up a notch. The most noticeable was 2.2.0 to 2.4.1.
Edited by negura - 11/23/13 at 5:46pmpost #1286 of 166811/25/13 at 4:34pm
I've been recently experimenting with feeding the PWD2 some "better" juice. The stacking of 1 + 2 below has been transformational. The PWD2 stepped out 1 or 2 classes in SQ, mainly in: instrument separation, imaging, transparency, focus, details, micro-details. There is an even more natural and profound extension to anything from the pluck of a guitar chord to the human voice. The realism level is now breathtaking. It's 10 years+ since I last touched a guitar, but it's the first time listening through my rig that I get an eery feeling the guitar is in the room and there's no rig at all. I am also getting a feeling for the size and shape of the studio where the recording was made. (This is with Joe Bonamassa and my reference Stockfisch recordings).
1. Power regen. One of these cleaning-up the mains http://www.powerinspired.com/ac-regenerators-c-98.html. For people in the US, I'm sure you are spoilt with choice. This is feeding no.2
2. Balanced PSU. http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced_power_supply/conditioning_balanced_power_supply/ (I use a step down balanced PSU as I am the UK with an US version PWD2)
Also very worthwhile:
I still use the PUC2Lite USB->AES interface which gets rid of the slight confusion, darkness and mudiness of the stock PWD2 USB. The PUC2Lite provides a neutral tonal balance, improves the level of details and micro-details and expands the soundstage with a cleaner background. I've also added a SOTM txUSBexp card and that is at least as good (or better) than the PUC2Lite. The SOTM adds slam, better focus and PRAT and a natural extension at both ends of the spectrum.
My 2c. YMMV, FWIW etc. :)
The rest of the testing gear was:
SET tube amplifier (Amperex 6922 pinched waist, GEC U52/RCA 5Y3GT, Amperex EL84)
Custom 96dB front loaded horns
PWD2 firmware 2.4.1 & 2.4.3
Edited by negura - 11/25/13 at 4:53pmpost #1287 of 166811/25/13 at 4:44pmpost #1288 of 166811/29/13 at 3:05pm
I can highly recommend the PS Audio Powerbase - for me it was a definite and clear improvement ito of sq.
Worth the money if you can pick one up used for around $500-$600.
PS Audio's spiel:post #1289 of 166811/29/13 at 3:29pmI think there products perform as good they look. I own several products by them
There power products are the best in the industry.
Great to see appreciation in this forum. They truly deserve the respect as great products
With great support.
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 51 seconds ago
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 with Alo 8 reference cable 5 minutes ago
- › [FS] Sennheiser HD650 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear