Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread - Page 39

post #571 of 694

Here's a pic of my amp + headphones.  I own PA2V2 #10246.

 

post #572 of 694

Has anyone used this amp with a Zune HD? I would need to use the 3.5mm jack since it seems getting line out from the dock connector of the Zune is impractical.

post #573 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy23 View Post

so comparing with fiio e11, e17, e7, e10.

can we say pa2v2 a clear winner?


I have been using "iPhone 3GS + Fiio L9 + Fiio E11 + ATH-ANC7b/ATH-M50s" setup for some time.

I am very used to the sound E11 generates and I like it much and you might feel the same if you like little bassy and impactful sound but still gives you good details.

 

For example, when you hear a person clapping, the clapping sound does really sound impactful.

I would say E11 provides more warmer sound and suitable for people who like bassy sound or just main stream, hiphop fans might light it too.

It is also not bad as it gives you good detail, for example when one pulls the guitar string, you can actually hear it or rather "feel" it as if that vibration comes at you right on your face.

It makes the music fun to listen to. This amp has led me to consider trying other amps and that is how I got to order PA2V2.

I am listening to main stream and sounds great and I bought it for 64 Australian Dollars.

The only downside of E11 is that the battery lasts 10+ hours only(rated 15 hours) so that was another reason to look for PA2V2.

 

 

Now I got the PA2V2 and used it for couple of days and I am puzzled.

First, the sound is not that great.

It isn't that clear or detailed either.

The lows were not clear nor impactful but more recessed.

The highs were tinny and sibilant and distorted.

Really was confused and in fact I find myself prefer connecting the ATH-M50 directly to my iPhone without the PA2V2.

 

So I started reducing the gain control(turn counterclock-wise) until the minimum and the sound actually got better.

It was much better than the first impression.

The bass is more refined and the highs are less sibilant but still sound a bit tinny.

For me, either it has to be fun listening to the music or it has to be original but it was neither of them.

Since I have adjusted to the lowest gain(which I think it is) I am not sure if I like this amp at the moment.

 

I am going to try a few more days and see if I get to like it.

 

I actually have 2 units and both sound exactly the same(obviously).

I got them for USD71 and 72.

They came with USB charge cable and rechargeable batteries.

 

I told Gary that I will try a few more days and let him know how it goes.

post #574 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhuankim View Post


I have been using "iPhone 3GS + Fiio L9 + Fiio E11 + ATH-ANC7b/ATH-M50s" setup for some time.

I am very used to the sound E11 generates and I like it much and you might feel the same if you like little bassy and impactful sound but still gives you good details.

 

For example, when you hear a person clapping, the clapping sound does really sound impactful.

I would say E11 provides more warmer sound and suitable for people who like bassy sound or just main stream, hiphop fans might light it too.

It is also not bad as it gives you good detail, for example when one pulls the guitar string, you can actually hear it or rather "feel" it as if that vibration comes at you right on your face.

It makes the music fun to listen to. This amp has led me to consider trying other amps and that is how I got to order PA2V2.

I am listening to main stream and sounds great and I bought it for 64 Australian Dollars.

The only downside of E11 is that the battery lasts 10+ hours only(rated 15 hours) so that was another reason to look for PA2V2.

 

 

Now I got the PA2V2 and used it for couple of days and I am puzzled.

First, the sound is not that great.

It isn't that clear or detailed either.

The lows were not clear nor impactful but more recessed.

The highs were tinny and sibilant and distorted.

Really was confused and in fact I find myself prefer connecting the ATH-M50 directly to my iPhone without the PA2V2.

 

So I started reducing the gain control(turn counterclock-wise) until the minimum and the sound actually got better.

It was much better than the first impression.

The bass is more refined and the highs are less sibilant but still sound a bit tinny.

For me, either it has to be fun listening to the music or it has to be original but it was neither of them.

Since I have adjusted to the lowest gain(which I think it is) I am not sure if I like this amp at the moment.

 

I am going to try a few more days and see if I get to like it.

 

I actually have 2 units and both sound exactly the same(obviously).

I got them for USD71 and 72.

They came with USB charge cable and rechargeable batteries.

 

I told Gary that I will try a few more days and let him know how it goes.

Odd that you don't notice the improvment. The Fiio might just simply have better synergy with the iPhone or that you are used to the Fiio at the moment. 
I find the sound stage much more expanded and crisper. Phones just simply output loudness and end up not being good to listen to.
It also may simply not be synergising with your headphones.

post #575 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroker View Post

Odd that you don't notice the improvment. The Fiio might just simply have better synergy with the iPhone or that you are used to the Fiio at the moment. 
I find the sound stage much more expanded and crisper. Phones just simply output loudness and end up not being good to listen to.
It also may simply not be synergising with your headphones.

 

While E11 was fun to listen to, after comparing with PA2V2 there were 3 issues that came up.

 

1. Audio Source

I had from poor quality mp3 to good alac(converted from flac) songs.

Most of the songs that I enjoyed(then having issues with PA2V2) were mp3 songs.

I am not saying "mp3" is no good but E11 did cover some of those problems when playing some low quality(bit rate) songs(smoothens out some rough parts).

After being so used to the E11, I wrongly took that as the base to compare to which was a mistake.

PA2V2 was not merciful at all when I played low quality songs.

The detail was too clear that it has highlighted all the imperfections in the audio source which presented all its noise and harshness which wasn't so apparent with E11.

So while I was happy with the details from E11, PA2V2 came with details from another level.

 

 

2. Signal Interference

PA2V2 picks up all the interference signals from 3G and WIFI so you hear noise when they are turned on and in use.

I saw a post about shielding the internals of the PA2V2 casing with aluminum foil and I think that is what I need.

 

 

3. Fun or Original

I would say its clearly original.

In other words, E11 colors the song in a good way so it was fun.

But PA2V2 is very original.

 

 

I will surely be keeping the amp but I need to replace all my low quality songs or I won't be enjoying them as much.

Also waiting for iPhone 5 to be released and hoping it comes with better DAC so I can upgrade my phone as well.

 

And I must mention about the battery!

I have been using the amp day and night and it did not run out of battery YET(way past 100hours)!

It is amazing, I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the amp because I know I won't run out of juice :)

 

Gary was kind to include 2300mAh batteries on both my units.

post #576 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhuankim View Post

 

While E11 was fun to listen to, after comparing with PA2V2 there were 3 issues that came up.

 

1. Audio Source

I had from poor quality mp3 to good alac(converted from flac) songs.

Most of the songs that I enjoyed(then having issues with PA2V2) were mp3 songs.

I am not saying "mp3" is no good but E11 did cover some of those problems when playing some low quality(bit rate) songs(smoothens out some rough parts).

After being so used to the E11, I wrongly took that as the base to compare to which was a mistake.

PA2V2 was not merciful at all when I played low quality songs.

The detail was too clear that it has highlighted all the imperfections in the audio source which presented all its noise and harshness which wasn't so apparent with E11.

So while I was happy with the details from E11, PA2V2 came with details from another level.

 

 

2. Signal Interference

PA2V2 picks up all the interference signals from 3G and WIFI so you hear noise when they are turned on and in use.

I saw a post about shielding the internals of the PA2V2 casing with aluminum foil and I think that is what I need.

 

 

3. Fun or Original

I would say its clearly original.

In other words, E11 colors the song in a good way so it was fun.

But PA2V2 is very original.

 

 

I will surely be keeping the amp but I need to replace all my low quality songs or I won't be enjoying them as much.

Also waiting for iPhone 5 to be released and hoping it comes with better DAC so I can upgrade my phone as well.

 

And I must mention about the battery!

I have been using the amp day and night and it did not run out of battery YET(way past 100hours)!

It is amazing, I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the amp because I know I won't run out of juice :)

 

Gary was kind to include 2300mAh batteries on both my units.

 

 

The battery life alone is reason enough to pick this over other options in this price range.  Plus, unlike some amps cough*E11*cough, you can charge and use it at the same time.

post #577 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketE View Post

For me, the PA2v2 was my first amp too, and my first nice sounding amp too. Gary is a very good guy, whatever the question is, he answer it very gentle. I'm still very happy with it.

Just ordered mine 2 days ago:)

post #578 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhuankim View Post

 

Gary was kind to include 2300mAh batteries on both my units.

Is this the norm? I take it they are not usually included?

 

Reason I ask is I ordered my PA2V2 two daze (sic) ago.smily_headphones1.gif

 

TIA - Rich

post #579 of 694
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhuankim View Post

 

Gary was kind to include 2300mAh batteries on both my units.

Originally Posted by FACSman View Post

Is this the norm? I take it they are not usually included?

 

Reason I ask is I ordered my PA2V2 two daze (sic) ago.smily_headphones1.gif

 

TIA - Rich

 

I think it depends on how much you paid for the unit.

He sells them for USD60 directly but he also posts them on ebay for bidding.

In my case, the price went up to USD71 and USD72.

That could be the reason why the batteries were included.

post #580 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSman View Post

Is this the norm? I take it they are not usually included?

 

Reason I ask is I ordered my PA2V2 two daze (sic) ago.smily_headphones1.gif

 

TIA - Rich

Can't wait for you to get them! They are pretty good and have a nice sound stage to them.
I think he has started to include them.

post #581 of 694

Just received my PA2V2 yesterday after some shipping mishaps but Gary had sorted it out. This is my first headphone amp and so far noticed slight improvement using it with the HD25-1 and ATH-M50. It does help improve the sound quality but I'm using this with an iPhone 4S to grab my music off iTunes Match. I've noticed that I get a significant amount of signal interference from GSM from using the amp and the Fiio LOD.

 

This might be the deal breaker, is there any methods to reduce the GSM interference? I don't want to turn on airplane mode.

post #582 of 694

Rec'd mine on 9-29 - LOVE IT!

 

Listening to iTunes downloads from an iPhone 4s thru a HiFiMan HE-300.

 

Also, listened yesterday using Westone 4R's; heard things in the music I had never heard before:)

 

Now, I'm gonna have to give serious thoughts as to buying the new Leck or the Porta 627:(

post #583 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSman View Post

Now, I'm gonna have to give serious thoughts as to buying the new Leck or the Porta 627:(

Having moved from the PA2V2 to the UHA6S, I must say its been a clear step up in terms of clarity and soundstage. But the PA2V2 can't be beat for its battery life, and If you have cans that need a touch of tubey gooey mids, this is the amp for you, at this price point.
post #584 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybongo View Post

Just received my PA2V2 yesterday after some shipping mishaps but Gary had sorted it out. This is my first headphone amp and so far noticed slight improvement using it with the HD25-1 and ATH-M50. It does help improve the sound quality but I'm using this with an iPhone 4S to grab my music off iTunes Match. I've noticed that I get a significant amount of signal interference from GSM from using the amp and the Fiio LOD.

 

This might be the deal breaker, is there any methods to reduce the GSM interference? I don't want to turn on airplane mode.

 

In order to block those interferences, one needs to be shielded.

Shielding meaning it has to be covered with something that will absorb those interfering signals and drain them.

 

There was a suggestion to glue aluminium foil on the inner side of the PA2V2 and I think it is a good idea.

Another thing I find on ebay is a glue itself that can absorb those.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330795423927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

But the more important thing is to connect those aluminium foil or that special glue to the PA2V2's ground.

This should drain those interfering signals.

 

I wanted to try this but I find myself enjoying more the Fiio E11 at the moment until I get a iPhone 4S or 5 so I did not bother to do it but listed in my next list of actions.

 

If you get to do it, or find better ways, please do share.

post #585 of 694
My amp is connected to the iPod using a Fiio L9 cable. Not sure if anyone agrees, but it seem the PA2V2 sounds better with closed headphones or IEMs than open ones. Compared to the headphone jack of the iPod 5.5, it doesn't sound as airy. This sound signature makes my triplefi sound tighter, but I would still prefer my grados on the headphone jack of iPod 5.5G.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread