I didn't see this as having been made already, so here it is! My PA2V2 was my first foray into the world of portable amps (and I'm sure it was for quite a few others as well) from the minimalist design of the little black box with it's red faceplate, to it's (my experience) slightly warm coloring, to the PHENOMENAL customer service of one Gary Ali, the PA2V2 cut the teeth for a lot of "Ampers" And in this thread, I felt, we should show it a little love.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Just got Westone 2's. Portable amp? Last post on 9/9/11 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Reasonably Priced Portable Amp..? Last post on 8/20/11 at 10:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which IEMs would you suggest that don't exceed ~$80? (details listed) Last post on 9/25/12 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP? Last post on 6/21/13 at 12:53am in Portable Headphone Amps
- do i really need an amp? Last post on 6/9/12 at 11:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe better...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
The PA2V2 Appreciation Threadpost #1 of 6745/15/10 at 10:16pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 6745/16/10 at 5:57ampost #3 of 6745/16/10 at 6:51am
Yup, it was my introduction into portable amps too. I used mine primarily for gym use where I amped a minidisc player. I actually walked around with this:
I made custom "clips" from 16 gauge sheet metal.
The Shure E4Pro was my IEM.
A closer look:
Gary's personal touch:
Crossfeed anyone??post #4 of 6745/16/10 at 7:02am
I've had mine since December. Coupled with my Sansa Clip v1 and current headphones, a winning combo.
The PAV2 represemts the best value for money, I think.
Being an audiphle, my current headphones DO leave alot to be desired, but for the money NO COMPLAINTS.
Having tried my current headphones with and without the PAV2, there is a BIG difference.
Listening to a recent Chamber Music cd this morning on the way to work really surprized me. I could believe the sense of colour and articulation I heard from this recording.
The current headphones are a pair of cheap Magnavox MPH1100's I paid $10. This level of refinement can only be due to the PAV2.
For pop music, I listen to mostly '80's stuff (First generation cd's where possible) The PAV2 REALLY gets the bottom end going on these headphones. I can really feal the drivers flapping.
The ONLY thing these headphones is a nasty H/F glare and these headphones will be changed shortly to a pair of budget Shure over the ear headsets.
This can only bring out the true potential of the PAV2.
At some point, IF I get rich, I plan to buy a pair of the Stax portable electrostats. This would truly bring out the PAV2's potential.
For my first headphone amp, I have NOTHING but praise for it and it's designer Gary Ali.
Hopefully this provides some insight from a 30 year + audiophile who is now getting into decent sounding portable audiopost #5 of 6745/20/10 at 9:02pm
I just ordered the PA2V2 from Gary. Very nice man indeed. I have a Clip+, and also just ordered the Hippo VB's. Really looking forward to receiving them.
GreatDane, love the case. I was trying to think of something to do for a case myself.post #6 of 6745/20/10 at 10:00pmpost #7 of 6745/21/10 at 1:09ampost #8 of 6745/21/10 at 1:37ampost #9 of 6745/21/10 at 10:53ampost #10 of 6745/21/10 at 9:46pm
I love mine and Gary is the perfect gentleman. It powers my K701's perfectly and also really increases the already great enjoyment I get from my Denon C700's.
I use mine with a Barqy LOD but am awaiting an ebay bargin of a qables silvercab pro in mint condition I just won for $46!post #11 of 6745/21/10 at 10:49pmpost #12 of 6745/22/10 at 12:44pm
I have owned two, one in mid 2005 being my first portable amp. Bought the second PA2V2 about two months ago and it sounds as good as I remembered. Gary's service is fantastic.post #13 of 6745/22/10 at 4:58pmpost #14 of 6745/26/10 at 4:01pmpost #15 of 6745/26/10 at 5:28pm
Bought mine back in '06 and have loved everything about it from the way it works and sounds, down to Gary's phenomenal customer service in the initial ordering phase, packing phase and follow-up.
- The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 10 seconds ago
- › Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations 52 seconds ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) incoming... 1 minute ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 1 minute ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › I need to replace my earphone pads, help? 2 minutes ago
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude