I didn't see this as having been made already, so here it is! My PA2V2 was my first foray into the world of portable amps (and I'm sure it was for quite a few others as well) from the minimalist design of the little black box with it's red faceplate, to it's (my experience) slightly warm coloring, to the PHENOMENAL customer service of one Gary Ali, the PA2V2 cut the teeth for a lot of "Ampers" And in this thread, I felt, we should show it a little love.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Just got Westone 2's. Portable amp? Last post on 9/9/11 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Reasonably Priced Portable Amp..? Last post on 8/20/11 at 10:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which IEMs would you suggest that don't exceed ~$80? (details listed) Last post on 9/25/12 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP? Last post on 6/21/13 at 12:53am in Portable Headphone Amps
- do i really need an amp? Last post on 6/9/12 at 11:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I bought these headphones a little over a week ago, and thought I should post my impressions. I work in a small office, and sit close to my boss, who is constantly on the phone, so I wanted a...
Sources used: Macbook Pro, iphone 4s, Fiio e10, Schiit Magni, This is a personal Unit: Bought at LMUE for 38USD during pre-sale Burn-in time: I don’t believe in huge differences, but in order...
Note to the Reader This was a demo unit, part of a program organized by Todd the Vinyl Junkie. A big thanks to Todd for his generosity and allowing me a week to fool around with these little...
This is a review and comparison of Ostry KC06 and KC06A in-ear headphones. http://www.ostry.com.cn/item/detailPage?itemid=28 and http://www.ostry.com.cn/item/detailPage?itemid=29 I get a...
I have the 600 Ohm version of these, so other impedance models will probably vary in sound. This said, I find this to be a wonderfully balanced set. They exhibit no harshness to my ears across...
The PA2V2 Appreciation Threadpost #1 of 6895/15/10 at 10:16pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 6895/16/10 at 5:57ampost #3 of 6895/16/10 at 6:51am
Yup, it was my introduction into portable amps too. I used mine primarily for gym use where I amped a minidisc player. I actually walked around with this:
I made custom "clips" from 16 gauge sheet metal.
The Shure E4Pro was my IEM.
A closer look:
Gary's personal touch:
Crossfeed anyone??post #4 of 6895/16/10 at 7:02am
I've had mine since December. Coupled with my Sansa Clip v1 and current headphones, a winning combo.
The PAV2 represemts the best value for money, I think.
Being an audiphle, my current headphones DO leave alot to be desired, but for the money NO COMPLAINTS.
Having tried my current headphones with and without the PAV2, there is a BIG difference.
Listening to a recent Chamber Music cd this morning on the way to work really surprized me. I could believe the sense of colour and articulation I heard from this recording.
The current headphones are a pair of cheap Magnavox MPH1100's I paid $10. This level of refinement can only be due to the PAV2.
For pop music, I listen to mostly '80's stuff (First generation cd's where possible) The PAV2 REALLY gets the bottom end going on these headphones. I can really feal the drivers flapping.
The ONLY thing these headphones is a nasty H/F glare and these headphones will be changed shortly to a pair of budget Shure over the ear headsets.
This can only bring out the true potential of the PAV2.
At some point, IF I get rich, I plan to buy a pair of the Stax portable electrostats. This would truly bring out the PAV2's potential.
For my first headphone amp, I have NOTHING but praise for it and it's designer Gary Ali.
Hopefully this provides some insight from a 30 year + audiophile who is now getting into decent sounding portable audiopost #5 of 6895/20/10 at 9:02pm
I just ordered the PA2V2 from Gary. Very nice man indeed. I have a Clip+, and also just ordered the Hippo VB's. Really looking forward to receiving them.
GreatDane, love the case. I was trying to think of something to do for a case myself.post #6 of 6895/20/10 at 10:00pmpost #7 of 6895/21/10 at 1:09ampost #8 of 6895/21/10 at 1:37ampost #9 of 6895/21/10 at 10:53ampost #10 of 6895/21/10 at 9:46pm
I love mine and Gary is the perfect gentleman. It powers my K701's perfectly and also really increases the already great enjoyment I get from my Denon C700's.
I use mine with a Barqy LOD but am awaiting an ebay bargin of a qables silvercab pro in mint condition I just won for $46!post #11 of 6895/21/10 at 10:49pmpost #12 of 6895/22/10 at 12:44pm
I have owned two, one in mid 2005 being my first portable amp. Bought the second PA2V2 about two months ago and it sounds as good as I remembered. Gary's service is fantastic.post #13 of 6895/22/10 at 4:58pmpost #14 of 6895/26/10 at 4:01pmpost #15 of 6895/26/10 at 5:28pm
Bought mine back in '06 and have loved everything about it from the way it works and sounds, down to Gary's phenomenal customer service in the initial ordering phase, packing phase and follow-up.
- The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread
- Headphone Impedance
- › How to remove tabs from sennheiser hd650's 40 seconds ago
- › WTB: Beyerdynamic T90 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 5 minutes ago
- › The BEST-LOOKING Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 5 minutes ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 5 minutes ago
- › DAC help. 6 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by twister6
- › beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones by Xyrium
- › DacMagic XS USB DAC Headphone Amp by Davidoffdgh
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by classycans
- › Audio Poutine CDAC+ by WhiskeyJacks
- › Hama HK-3063 by Blanejmc
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)