I didn't see this as having been made already, so here it is! My PA2V2 was my first foray into the world of portable amps (and I'm sure it was for quite a few others as well) from the minimalist design of the little black box with it's red faceplate, to it's (my experience) slightly warm coloring, to the PHENOMENAL customer service of one Gary Ali, the PA2V2 cut the teeth for a lot of "Ampers" And in this thread, I felt, we should show it a little love.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Just got Westone 2's. Portable amp? Last post on 9/9/11 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Reasonably Priced Portable Amp..? Last post on 8/20/11 at 10:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which IEMs would you suggest that don't exceed ~$80? (details listed) Last post on 9/25/12 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP? Last post on 10/19/12 at 5:30am in Portable Headphone Amps
- do i really need an amp? Last post on 6/9/12 at 11:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesEdited on 3/22/12
This is one of the last things you need to upgrade when your making your portable rig. Vs the fiio L9 this lod cable was a big step up. The first thing that will hit you is the increase in...
Thanks to NoiseHush for the review sample!! Here we have the NoiseHush i7 Noise Cancelling headphones. These headphones have some high points, but fall a bit short in terms of...
Introduction First off, I’d like to thank the folks at Audio-Technica for the sample of the WS77 for review. Yes, I’ve been on something of a roll recently with Audio-Technica...
(caution: this is a long review (I know this because I just typed it out in Word and it spanned 7 pages!) I think this is a long awaited review of the 1Plus2s. I've had the stock cable for...
I have been looking for "THAT" amp, the one for me. I tried a WA6SE, and it had a problem with distorted bass. I have the Lyr, but looking to upgrade. The soloist is really the only other amp...
The PA2V2 Appreciation Threadpost #1 of 6485/15/10 at 10:16pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 6485/16/10 at 5:57ampost #3 of 6485/16/10 at 6:51am
Yup, it was my introduction into portable amps too. I used mine primarily for gym use where I amped a minidisc player. I actually walked around with this:
I made custom "clips" from 16 gauge sheet metal.
The Shure E4Pro was my IEM.
A closer look:
Gary's personal touch:
Crossfeed anyone??post #4 of 6485/16/10 at 7:02am
I've had mine since December. Coupled with my Sansa Clip v1 and current headphones, a winning combo.
The PAV2 represemts the best value for money, I think.
Being an audiphle, my current headphones DO leave alot to be desired, but for the money NO COMPLAINTS.
Having tried my current headphones with and without the PAV2, there is a BIG difference.
Listening to a recent Chamber Music cd this morning on the way to work really surprized me. I could believe the sense of colour and articulation I heard from this recording.
The current headphones are a pair of cheap Magnavox MPH1100's I paid $10. This level of refinement can only be due to the PAV2.
For pop music, I listen to mostly '80's stuff (First generation cd's where possible) The PAV2 REALLY gets the bottom end going on these headphones. I can really feal the drivers flapping.
The ONLY thing these headphones is a nasty H/F glare and these headphones will be changed shortly to a pair of budget Shure over the ear headsets.
This can only bring out the true potential of the PAV2.
At some point, IF I get rich, I plan to buy a pair of the Stax portable electrostats. This would truly bring out the PAV2's potential.
For my first headphone amp, I have NOTHING but praise for it and it's designer Gary Ali.
Hopefully this provides some insight from a 30 year + audiophile who is now getting into decent sounding portable audiopost #5 of 6485/20/10 at 9:02pm
I just ordered the PA2V2 from Gary. Very nice man indeed. I have a Clip+, and also just ordered the Hippo VB's. Really looking forward to receiving them.
GreatDane, love the case. I was trying to think of something to do for a case myself.post #6 of 6485/20/10 at 10:00pmpost #7 of 6485/21/10 at 1:09ampost #8 of 6485/21/10 at 1:37ampost #9 of 6485/21/10 at 10:53ampost #10 of 6485/21/10 at 9:46pm
I love mine and Gary is the perfect gentleman. It powers my K701's perfectly and also really increases the already great enjoyment I get from my Denon C700's.
I use mine with a Barqy LOD but am awaiting an ebay bargin of a qables silvercab pro in mint condition I just won for $46!post #11 of 6485/21/10 at 10:49pmpost #12 of 6485/22/10 at 12:44pm
I have owned two, one in mid 2005 being my first portable amp. Bought the second PA2V2 about two months ago and it sounds as good as I remembered. Gary's service is fantastic.post #13 of 6485/22/10 at 4:58pmpost #14 of 6485/26/10 at 4:01pmpost #15 of 6485/26/10 at 5:28pm
Bought mine back in '06 and have loved everything about it from the way it works and sounds, down to Gary's phenomenal customer service in the initial ordering phase, packing phase and follow-up.
- The PA2V2 Appreciation Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 12 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 21 seconds ago
- › worst date stories 1 minute ago
- › Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables... 1 minute ago
- › Most underrated/ Forgotten IEMs.....(only IEM please) 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short... 2 minutes ago
- › FS Fiio E17 and Fiio E12 3 minutes ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 4 minutes ago
- › ALO audio 22awg OCC Cryo Dock by David Chavez
- › NoiseHush i7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Black - Retail by pro1137
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe