- 648 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help finding IEMs or headphones under $800. Big soundstage, rich vocals, slightly sparkling highs Last post on 9/9/12 at 9:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review: Heir Audio 4.A Last post on Yesterday at 9:40 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Customs on customs! Last post on 5/30/12 at 12:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesEdited on 3/22/12
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
HFI (High Fi International) Appreciation and Rooth Impressions Thread - New online company in Japan - Page 4post #46 of 857/5/10 at 8:43pmThread StarterFrenchblat - you and me both
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 857/8/10 at 7:34amThread Starter
7.8.10 – Rooth’s LS8 and the reshelled JH13s have arrived. I want to preface a few things before jumping into initial impressions/reviews.
- This is an initial first impression based upon one hour of late evening listening. I normally spend the bulk of my music listening on the Tokyo commute.
- I have never really reviewed any hi-fi components so please excuse me in advance if I do not use hi-fi jargon. Also much of what I have gleaned when it comes to portable hi-fi has come from this site. So a big thanks to all who have contributed.
- The first impressions/comparisons are based upon the (4) same rock and punk rock songs.
- Band of Horses – “Ghost in the House”
- Rolling Stones – “Shattered”
- Green Day – “21st Century Breakdown”
- The Raconteurs – “Consolers of the Lonely”
Well enough of the rigamarole … First off, the LS8s come in a nicely designed box along with a descent sized semi-hard carrying case useful for briefcases or backpacks, along with a cleaning tool, users manual and a silver business card sized 2-year warranty (yes two years).
The craftsmanship of the LS8s are flawless - beautiful work by the engineers at Rooth. The reshelled 13s have a few very minor bubbles, but nothing to complain about.
One of my biggest worries was fit, specifically the seal. And I am happy to report that the fit is absolutely perfect for both units. (Thanks to Suyama/Fitear for the top notch impressions)
I first listened to the reshelled JH13s and right off the bat I found that they had a large or wide soundstage. The music and instruments felt spread out but not too separate, which felt like they did not pick up as much detail. Not that it was muddy just not detailed. While the LS8s seemed to have a tighter soundstage feel, there was a noticeable difference in the instrument separation and detail. I could pick up some amazing sounds that I had never heard before when listening specifically to Shattered. Bass seems to be more prominent with the LS8s, although not a big difference.
I listened to the LS8s this afternoon on my commute home for about an hour. There is some serious bass going on in these units. It does not take much to get them pounding. I had to change the levels on my Rockboxed IMOD to compensate. Although I did find out that I had them set high in the first place. After playing around with the levels I found a nice balance that allows for a more neutral sound. Of course I need to continue to give them a listen. But my overall first impression is that I am very very pleased with the LS8s by Rooth.
And just as impressed with Hi Fi International and Tomo who represents Rooth here in Japan. From start to finish he kept me in the loop on delivery dates and with his timely e-mail responses to my many questions (there were many as his company is new and not many people outside of China have ordered Rooth customs) made the customer service experience top-notch.
I will be spending the day with the reshelled 13s tomorrow and both over the weekend. I will post a more in-depth review in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, if anyone has questions feel free to PM or post here.
Enjoy the pics with taken from my Iphone (not too clear) The red customs are LS8s and the blue are the reshelled 13s.
Edited by skoog5600 - 7/8/10 at 7:42ampost #48 of 857/10/10 at 8:13am
Wow, thanks for the wonderful review and pics, I will definitely get a pair of the LS6/8 or CX6/8 (the people in HK say they are about the same) when my Freqs poop out, hopefully they will last two more years assuming I don't drop them again.post #49 of 857/13/10 at 4:34ampost #50 of 857/13/10 at 5:55amQuote:
The mingo'ers switching over to Rooth now from UM?post #51 of 857/13/10 at 7:06amThread Starterpost #52 of 857/13/10 at 7:10amThread Starter
A quick update - I spent the better part of the day today with the LS8s listening to live music - CSNY (Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 4-Way Street Live, FLAC) with my rig (see pic above). And I was absolutely blown away by the sound quality. For a live recording I felt I was propelled back to 1971 sitting in the front row of the concert. The smoothness, details and quality - it is the closest thing I have gotten to perfection on this aural journey.post #53 of 857/13/10 at 7:11ampost #54 of 857/13/10 at 7:21amThread Starterpost #55 of 857/14/10 at 3:30ampost #56 of 857/14/10 at 6:42amThread StarterQuote:
Kinclad - Unless you speak and read Chinese your best option if you want to purchase a pair of Rooth LS8's is to go through the same route I did - High Fi International - http://www.hfi.jp/
This is the only company I know that represents Rooth products. The contact person is Tomo - great guy! And he speaks perfect English. Actually I conducted everything via e-mail. If you want more information such as his e-mail address PM me.post #57 of 857/14/10 at 10:19pmpost #58 of 857/15/10 at 7:10pmThread Starterpost #59 of 857/15/10 at 10:31pm
These LS8's sound really interesting. I would definitely love to hear more impressions between the JH13 and the LS8. You mentioned a bit about the LS8's bass, could you elaborate more on it?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HFI (High Fi International) Appreciation and Rooth Impressions Thread - New online company in Japan
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 32 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated: 5/17/13.... 33 seconds ago
- › Koss ESP/950: At wits end 33 seconds ago
- › Need help for my hd 598 headphones. 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › [Impression] FiiO E12 Mont Blanc – Way to Pinnacle 2 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 3 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe