- 846 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Japan
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help finding IEMs or headphones under $800. Big soundstage, rich vocals, slightly sparkling highs Last post on 9/9/12 at 9:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Customs on customs! Last post on 5/30/12 at 12:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
HFI (High Fi International) Appreciation and Rooth Impressions Thread - New online company in Japan - Page 4post #46 of 857/5/10 at 8:43pmThread StarterFrenchblat - you and me both
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 857/8/10 at 7:34amThread Starter
7.8.10 – Rooth’s LS8 and the reshelled JH13s have arrived. I want to preface a few things before jumping into initial impressions/reviews.
- This is an initial first impression based upon one hour of late evening listening. I normally spend the bulk of my music listening on the Tokyo commute.
- I have never really reviewed any hi-fi components so please excuse me in advance if I do not use hi-fi jargon. Also much of what I have gleaned when it comes to portable hi-fi has come from this site. So a big thanks to all who have contributed.
- The first impressions/comparisons are based upon the (4) same rock and punk rock songs.
- Band of Horses – “Ghost in the House”
- Rolling Stones – “Shattered”
- Green Day – “21st Century Breakdown”
- The Raconteurs – “Consolers of the Lonely”
Well enough of the rigamarole … First off, the LS8s come in a nicely designed box along with a descent sized semi-hard carrying case useful for briefcases or backpacks, along with a cleaning tool, users manual and a silver business card sized 2-year warranty (yes two years).
The craftsmanship of the LS8s are flawless - beautiful work by the engineers at Rooth. The reshelled 13s have a few very minor bubbles, but nothing to complain about.
One of my biggest worries was fit, specifically the seal. And I am happy to report that the fit is absolutely perfect for both units. (Thanks to Suyama/Fitear for the top notch impressions)
I first listened to the reshelled JH13s and right off the bat I found that they had a large or wide soundstage. The music and instruments felt spread out but not too separate, which felt like they did not pick up as much detail. Not that it was muddy just not detailed. While the LS8s seemed to have a tighter soundstage feel, there was a noticeable difference in the instrument separation and detail. I could pick up some amazing sounds that I had never heard before when listening specifically to Shattered. Bass seems to be more prominent with the LS8s, although not a big difference.
I listened to the LS8s this afternoon on my commute home for about an hour. There is some serious bass going on in these units. It does not take much to get them pounding. I had to change the levels on my Rockboxed IMOD to compensate. Although I did find out that I had them set high in the first place. After playing around with the levels I found a nice balance that allows for a more neutral sound. Of course I need to continue to give them a listen. But my overall first impression is that I am very very pleased with the LS8s by Rooth.
And just as impressed with Hi Fi International and Tomo who represents Rooth here in Japan. From start to finish he kept me in the loop on delivery dates and with his timely e-mail responses to my many questions (there were many as his company is new and not many people outside of China have ordered Rooth customs) made the customer service experience top-notch.
I will be spending the day with the reshelled 13s tomorrow and both over the weekend. I will post a more in-depth review in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, if anyone has questions feel free to PM or post here.
Enjoy the pics with taken from my Iphone (not too clear) The red customs are LS8s and the blue are the reshelled 13s.
Edited by skoog5600 - 7/8/10 at 7:42ampost #48 of 857/10/10 at 8:13am
Wow, thanks for the wonderful review and pics, I will definitely get a pair of the LS6/8 or CX6/8 (the people in HK say they are about the same) when my Freqs poop out, hopefully they will last two more years assuming I don't drop them again.post #49 of 857/13/10 at 4:34ampost #50 of 857/13/10 at 5:55amQuote:
The mingo'ers switching over to Rooth now from UM?post #51 of 857/13/10 at 7:06amThread Starterpost #52 of 857/13/10 at 7:10amThread Starter
A quick update - I spent the better part of the day today with the LS8s listening to live music - CSNY (Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 4-Way Street Live, FLAC) with my rig (see pic above). And I was absolutely blown away by the sound quality. For a live recording I felt I was propelled back to 1971 sitting in the front row of the concert. The smoothness, details and quality - it is the closest thing I have gotten to perfection on this aural journey.post #53 of 857/13/10 at 7:11ampost #54 of 857/13/10 at 7:21amThread Starterpost #55 of 857/14/10 at 3:30ampost #56 of 857/14/10 at 6:42amThread StarterQuote:
Kinclad - Unless you speak and read Chinese your best option if you want to purchase a pair of Rooth LS8's is to go through the same route I did - High Fi International - http://www.hfi.jp/
This is the only company I know that represents Rooth products. The contact person is Tomo - great guy! And he speaks perfect English. Actually I conducted everything via e-mail. If you want more information such as his e-mail address PM me.post #57 of 857/14/10 at 10:19pmpost #58 of 857/15/10 at 7:10pmThread Starterpost #59 of 857/15/10 at 10:31pm
These LS8's sound really interesting. I would definitely love to hear more impressions between the JH13 and the LS8. You mentioned a bit about the LS8's bass, could you elaborate more on it?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HFI (High Fi International) Appreciation and Rooth Impressions Thread - New online company in Japan
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 3 seconds ago
- › HD800s with portable AMP/DAC for iMac 24 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 37 seconds ago
- › Newbie to PC gaming audio, looking for suggestions for card with... 39 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 44 seconds ago
- › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60 1 minute ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)