Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Recommend me cans! specs inside :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend me cans! specs inside :) - Page 2

post #16 of 29

The 780's don't really need an amp but will benefit from one like most cans. The ones I tried sounded great out of my netbook and the guy I borrowed them from used them primarily from his ipod. I've tried both the Beats and 780's and much preferred the latter. The Beats were a little too boomy for me and didn't really impress me. With the 780's you can feel the bass which is a great feeling. Of course it all boils down to personal preference in the end. Where are you located? I know of a place to get some sones pretty cheap depending on where you are.

 

Personally I'd order the sones and then go and try the Beats side by side.  If you end up liking the Beats more just send the sones back.

post #17 of 29

Alessandro MS1 or Shure SRH 840.

post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 

I'm from Ohio- Canton for the weekend, but I live at my university in Bowling Green (near Toledo). I've tried the beats from the Best Buy Kiosk only, plugged into my iPhone with Apple Lossless music, but not sure how great the iPhones audio out is. I really would love to give these a side by side comparison. That link you posted earlier shows two stores near my school, but none by my parents' house. 

post #19 of 29

No problem. http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-S-Logic-headphones-p/hfi-780.htm It ends up being $186.75 at checkout with coupon code: phones   and free shipping.

They have a lot of other models too. Not sure if this helps a lot but I thought I'd share.


Edited by NapalmK - 5/15/10 at 1:59am
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 

I ended up pre-ordering the Beats by Dre Pro's for $299 :)

Called Monster to make sure the company was one of their legit retailers, and they confirmed it. Just placed the order today. Monster said they should ship mid-late June. Cannot wait!

post #21 of 29

...how does someone come to head-fi and walk away with the beats, I thought discussion of was banned here. I could show you a few sub-$50 headphone that will do the moonwalk over the beats, they're nothing but marketing with fancy names and fancy colors but then again thats probably why you choose them.

post #22 of 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism
...how does someone come to head-fi and walk away with the beats, I thought discussion of was banned here. I could show you a few sub-$50 headphone that will do the moonwalk over the beats, they're nothing but marketing with fancy names and fancy colors but then again thats probably why you choose them.

 

 

Haha!  Great question.  But the dude does have Little Wayne in his avatar though.  He was biased from the start.

 

It's amazing how marketing works so well on some people


Edited by subtle - 5/17/10 at 4:23pm
post #23 of 29

I don't understand what makes the Beats by Dre line so great. As far as I know, a lot of Koreans at my school bought the damned things just because a lot of Korean pop and rock stars have them wearing them in photoshoots/music videos. I've listened to them before, and my cheap 20 dollar Sony headphones back at home sound better than those terrible things. Not to mention the build on them is flimsy and cheap. I felt like every version I tried was going to snap in two in my hands.

 

But it's a personal preference, of course. Everyone's ears are different. (I'd recommend Ultrasones, tho; they seem to match your needs. Mine handle those genres just fine, and I own some from the HFI line, so I know the Pros would be quite nice.)


Edited by Dice Cat - 5/17/10 at 4:29pm
post #24 of 29

Denon AH-D2000

post #25 of 29

i like the d2000 recommendation, and would throw the m50 into the mix, they are really solidly built, look sweet, cheap, sound great out of laptop jack/ipod. I know everybody has been recommending them like crazy around here but they are worth mentioning.

post #26 of 29

You pre-ordered the Dre's?  I'm sorry...

 

The Ultrasones probably would have been a good fit for what you were looking for.  I've had the opportunity to demo both (though not extensively with the Dre's -- I could tell I wasn't impressed pretty much immediately) and the Ultrasones are much better headphones.  Much more durable, too.

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

You pre-ordered the Dre's?  I'm sorry...

 

The Ultrasones probably would have been a good fit for what you were looking for.  I've had the opportunity to demo both (though not extensively with the Dre's -- I could tell I wasn't impressed pretty much immediately) and the Ultrasones are much better headphones.  Much more durable, too.


was reading this thread.... and i was wondering how would ultrasone hfi-780 sound with rock music ? because im a basshaed but i like rock music alot too... 

 

thanks

post #28 of 29



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3phisto View Post




was reading this thread.... and i was wondering how would ultrasone hfi-780 sound with rock music ? because im a basshaed but i like rock music alot too... 

 

thanks


They handle rock quite well.  In my opinion, they have a relatively balanced spectrum -- nothing seems recessed, which is good for rock music.  The bass and treble are emphasized a bit, but this is what you usually see in a "Rock" equalizer preset anyway.  The bass is quite good as well, strong and punchy, and reasonably well-extended.

 

All told, they're pretty good for rock, as well as pretty much every other genre.  In my opinion, they don't get too far out of line in any sonic direction, and they don't have any glaring flaws, so they perform admirably with just about everything.
 

post #29 of 29

Great ! I'm glad i bought these headphones from one the guys in here... :) I can't wait to test them out.. Good to find out that i could use this cans with other genre as i listen from a range of music from rock,jazz and sub-genres under electronica.I've read up some mods that i could do with these cans as well such as changing the earpads and re-wiring them... but i just gonna figure out what amp to get to achieve a synergy with it.... so far im eyeing on the meier audio 3move...anyway... thanks for your guideline ... really appreciate it ... now ill just have to try them and see what its all about :) 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post



 


They handle rock quite well.  In my opinion, they have a relatively balanced spectrum -- nothing seems recessed, which is good for rock music.  The bass and treble are emphasized a bit, but this is what you usually see in a "Rock" equalizer preset anyway.  The bass is quite good as well, strong and punchy, and reasonably well-extended.

 

All told, they're pretty good for rock, as well as pretty much every other genre.  In my opinion, they don't get too far out of line in any sonic direction, and they don't have any glaring flaws, so they perform admirably with just about everything.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Recommend me cans! specs inside :)