- 11 Posts. Joined 12/2005
- Location: Sheffield, England
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is the FA-003/HM5 an upgrade from the SRH-840? Last post on 4/4/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Advice on Getting a new Headphone.. Last post on 1/6/12 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sound Drops in Either Earbud on Slight Movement Last post on 10/4/11 at 5:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for $200-300 Indie Headphones Last post on 10/3/11 at 3:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ! - Page 183post #2731 of 30091/14/13 at 1:08pmHi again Sync. There's a couple of reasons I find the hd650s better for extended listening. Firstly, they don't clamp my head quite so much. It's not that the 003s are uncomfortable but you know they're there! Secondly, I think the 003s share the same trait as all the closed phones I've ever listened to; namely, that they sound a little, well, closed in, compared to open phones and this does become a little fatiguing over time. The HD650s simply disappear. You start forgetting about the medium and focus on the music. I still think the 003s are great phones and can be more engaging, in some respects, than the 650s.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2732 of 30091/15/13 at 5:50am
Hey there Steve!
Again, thanks for sharing your thought on the HD650. Pardon if this is going to seemed a little bit offtopic. Aside from the extra comfortness that the HD650 brings, is there any noticable sound stage improvement or any other audible improvement than FA-003. Seeing the fact that FA-003 is closed can and HD650 is open, I believe the sound stage would be like 3D for the case of HD 650? It is to my knowledge that FA-003 reigns superior in the mid-range domain and offer a very neutral sound signature. So I'm wondering whether it is justifiable to spend twice the price than FA-003 for the HD650.
If this would be any help, currently I'm using my FA-003 with Fiio E17.
post #2733 of 30091/15/13 at 6:34amQuote:
I'm seeing these as 50$ on the website. Can anyone confirm?
https://www.jaycar.com/showcart.asp?__utma=1.1669562038.1358260252.1358260252.1358260252.1&__utmb=220.127.116.118260252&__utmc=1&__utmz=1%2E1358260252%2E1%2E1%2Eutmcsr=jaycar%2Eus%7Cutmccn%3D%28referral%29%7Cutmcmd%3Dreferral%7Cutmcct%3D%2FproductResults%2Easp&__utmv=&__utmk=&__utmx=post #2734 of 30091/15/13 at 7:27amYour link doesn't work as it is to your cart, but the AUD90 price is for inside Australia and the USD50 is for the rest of the world. They can also be found for about GBP25 on the UK site but all orders ship from Australiapost #2735 of 30091/15/13 at 12:17pm
Hi dsync. For a closed headphone the FA-003s sound remarkably open, and it's only when listening for longer periods that they start to feel a little fatiguing. Soundstage wise, I think the HD650s are better but not by a long margin. I think that if you were going to invest in the 650s, you're not going to put them on and feel "wow, these are such an improvement", but I suspect that, like me, as long as you're listening in a quiet environment you'll more often than not reach for the 650s and get many years of enjoyment from them.post #2736 of 30091/15/13 at 11:25pm
Ok it's modding time now. Been experimenting with my one for a bit just now. I'm currently not using any of my wooden cups but I removed the stock outer housing cup, gave it a listen with it being open, the sound was a bit shrilled (bit of sibilance) and with some electronic music the bass is quite funny sounding sort with a fake timbre and all. So decided to pull a few tricks of my past HD580/600/650 mods as the driver capsule is designed very similarly.
There is a piece of round slightly dense foam wedged into the top of the drivers housing on the 003 which beneath is a white felt glued on, the felt actually controls how much air is pushed through into the driver cone itself, use a pair of tweezers, remove the foam and run the headphones open without any cups. I'm listening to some 24bit La Mer Seascapes Allegro from my desktop > 3.5mm out to my custom 18v Banzai Cmoy using dual mono AD8597 (a single 8599 IC) and the sound is a lot more neutral with the classical stuff, soundstage is a bit more 3-dimensional maybe a bit more further out on the 4th or 5th row but really surround sounding (prior to the mod it sounded really closed in and laid back or shelved), the sound is also maybe a tad bit brighter, bit of warmth has been removed sounds bit more neutral now. I'm suspecting detail retrieval is a bit revealing but not incremented due to being fully open and bit brighter sounding.
Will be playing around with the dampening baffle and turning the stock outer housing cups to a open form factor with grills (resembling my HD600's a bit).
The sound is actually a bit more like a pair of bright headphones slapped together with the dark/laid back signature of a HD600/650. So far it has less bass than my HD600's bit more neutral sounding to my ears with classical. Soundstage is a bit wider in terms of 3-dimensionality, detail retrieval seems a bit more than the HD600's possibly due to the sound sig being more brighter, the HD600's have better bass but no where near basshead level (both of these can's are not basshead can's) and the soundstage / sound is a bit more intimate sounding on the HD600's.
Will be reporting more results back.
EDIT: Gave my LCD2's a listen and did a comparison, really impressed with the subtle differences between the two for classical music, the sound on the 003 is more fun and serious at the same time.
Edited by DefQon - 1/15/13 at 11:51pmpost #2737 of 30091/16/13 at 7:12pmpost #2738 of 30091/19/13 at 12:44pm
Posted this in its own thread, but I figured I might as well post it here too. I recently ordered a pair of jaycar fa-003s, and I love the sound of them, but I have an issue. Unless I hold it in place, its extremely hard for me to keep the right side's jack in place. This is especially a problem since I'm using these for gaming too.
Does anyone have a quickfix for this? Or do I need to contact jaycar support....
Any help is much appreciated :)post #2739 of 30091/19/13 at 1:13pmpost #2740 of 30091/19/13 at 1:19pmpost #2741 of 30091/19/13 at 1:29pmQuote:
I feel really dumb now, this was all I needed to do... This was my first pair of audiophile headphones so I was trying to be gentle, but I guess I was being too gentle. Thanks so much for the help!post #2742 of 30091/20/13 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Battou62
I'm seeing these as 50$ on the website. Can anyone confirm?
$50 for US
$100 for Auspost #2743 of 30091/26/13 at 8:30amDoes anyone know where to purchase just the wooden cups for these still? It's been quite a while since I've paid any attention to Fischer news.
It looks like you have to purchase the FA-002w?post #2744 of 30091/26/13 at 2:33pmpost #2745 of 30091/27/13 at 12:28pm
Hey guys, after many days of agonizing research, I have decided on getting the NVX XPT100 flavor of these headphones (Over the DT770 and A900) due to the look, price and warranty (Dont want to risk dealing with an Australian based warranty).
I have two questions, first is if I buy through sonicelectronix there is an option of bundling an Fiio E6 amp with these headphones for an extra $10 only. Would these make a significant difference? I am coming from absolutely nothing in terms of quality audio headphones, so would these make a huge difference? If its not worth it I would rather just go through Amazon because the price is the same but I would prefer their return/support process.
Second question is does anyone know which velour pads are compatible with these headphones? My first concern is comfort so these would help with that. I know that this is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread but there are 180+ pages currently, quite a few to look through. I read somewhere else that the Schure SRH940 pads (Here http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359318378&sr=1-4&keywords=shure+940) might work, but never saw any confirmation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
- Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Music Game IX 3 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5D may be the king of Portable AMP/DACs in its price point. 29 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 29 seconds ago
- › The Stax SR-507 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs O2 amp silver 5 minutes ago
- › New Audeze "Prototype-Z"! 7 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 10 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 10 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)