- 4,480 Posts. Joined 4/2007
- Location: Kalundborg, Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is the FA-003/HM5 an upgrade from the SRH-840? Last post on 4/4/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Advice on Getting a new Headphone.. Last post on 1/6/12 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sound Drops in Either Earbud on Slight Movement Last post on 10/4/11 at 5:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for $200-300 Indie Headphones Last post on 10/3/11 at 3:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok...
Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ! - Page 156post #2326 of 30092/25/12 at 2:15pmGot my FA-003 reterminated to balanced today and they exhibit all the traditional benefits of balancing. Darker background and better control and tighter sound that seems to reach deeper. And as the stock cable is 4 wires all the way it is easy to do (just the wires are varnished so a bit of a pain to solder). For my preferences they are now scarily close to the Ed8 I had before (I might actually prefer the more balanced/neutral sound of the FA-003).
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2327 of 30092/27/12 at 11:19amQuote:Originally Posted by atomikn00b
if the brainwavz hm5 = fa 003, then your experience sounds exactly like mine. here's what i'll tell ya. burn in. burn in. burn in. (left it for my brother to use for 3 weeks)
in the end though, your satisfaction depends on whether you like to HEAR the bass, or FEEL the bass. if feel is what you're after, and taking into consideration how similar your experience is to mine, you'll never be satisfied. if hear is good for you, burn in solves the problem.
p.s. i don't know what they sound like with PROPER bass boosting amps like the zo, on fiio e5, i hear coloration too easily and that's not the kind of sound i want from these headphones
I left my FA-003s burning in for some 80 more hours - basically I just left them running on my iPod in shuffle mode until the battery ran out, charged up and did it again. The difference to the bass is PHENOMENAL - deeper, tighter, much more present. I' sure the overall sound has improved in all aspects, but most noticeable was the improvement to the lower frequencies. Great tip...I think I'll do it again to see whether it continues to improve even further.
post #2328 of 30092/27/12 at 6:12pmpost #2329 of 30092/28/12 at 9:40ampost #2330 of 30092/28/12 at 10:08am
I have tried the "place over several books" method and only found it to smash the pads. Not for me.
Then I tried to bend the top internal plastic band....until....it snapped. Still using them just fine, since there is still metal/plastic holding the rest together. So, don't do what I did and bend the headband; it is a hard plastic that cannot be re-formed.
If you do not have the ear pieces adjusted all the way to the smallest size, then you will see the spring steel exposed (on each side above the yoke, where you see the indicator lines pressed into the steel).
This is what I bent to get the the right fit. It is also how I adjusted the clamp force on my HD600. Carefully bend each (left and right) metal band that exits the yolk holder.post #2331 of 30092/28/12 at 1:09pmpost #2332 of 30093/1/12 at 1:12pm
I just got my FA-003s, and they're wonderful. They beat my HD25 in almost every way -- better comfort, better detail, better soundstage. The one place where the HD25 still seems better is in reproducing the sound of electric guitars. This is especially evident in the song Thor by Manowar, which seems boring and flat on the Fischers in comparison with the Sennheisers. But I noticed that when I mess with the EQ on the FA-003, adding a boost around 1 kHz, the guitar sounds better. Has anybody played around and found good EQ settings with these to emphasize electric guitar sounds?post #2333 of 30093/2/12 at 3:41pm
Does anyone else find the jacks that connect into the cans are annoying? During my time with the FA003 I found them quite annoying because I have a tendency to slump when listening to music, and these things just got in my way alot, knocking off my shoulder and such.post #2334 of 30093/19/12 at 2:16pmpost #2335 of 30093/22/12 at 6:53pmpost #2336 of 30093/22/12 at 7:26pmQuote:
You don't need an amp for these. Using one may or may not sound better to you, but the only way to know would be to try...post #2337 of 30093/23/12 at 1:04ampost #2338 of 30094/2/12 at 1:08am
Been using these for about a year now? with an iBasso D6.. still loving them :)
Question: Am thinking of upgrading to a DAC... Benchmark DAC 1 may be...
My question, is basically will the FA-003's then be the weak link in the system or will it just make them shine more!?
Would be interested who has tried them with what and in comparison to more expensive headphones?
Thankspost #2339 of 30094/8/12 at 10:38am
has anyone ever thought of removing all the felt/fiber material that is covering the spaces around the driver. I'm referring to the white visible fiber that covers the holes around the driver when you twist the cups off. They may just be dust protectors. Removing them might make the sound more open?post #2340 of 30094/8/12 at 11:13am
Quote:Originally Posted by TheJT
has anyone ever thought of removing all the felt/fiber material that is covering the spaces around the driver. I'm referring to the white visible fiber that covers the holes around the driver when you twist the cups off. They may just be dust protectors. Removing them might make the sound more open?
I wouldn't mess with it.
- Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 8 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › New Version LA-7000 (Denon AH-D7000) in Museum Grade Redwood Burl... 4 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)