New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bob Carver

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 

Something interesting I saw on Ebay  interesting comments.

 

 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Pair-Monoblock-Tube-Amplifiers-Amps-Carver-KT88-/180502457652?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a06c8ed34

post #2 of 68

 

 

 

Well at least he signs it,although for that money and an unknown entity I would expect it to be hand delivered.

 

And if he ever gets tired of building amps he could take up writing,that was a very interesting read.

post #3 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post

 

Well at least he signs it,although for that money and an unknown entity I would expect it to be hand delivered.

 

And if he ever gets tired of building amps he could take up writing,that was a very interesting read.


Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Hand delivered? My side aches from laughing so hard. for the $10K his last version of this got bid up to you get 2 crates from UPS from any other amp MFR.

 

Its not a unique idea, what he built, just too expensive for anyone to actually build. Good show from him to do it.

post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post

 

 

 

Well at least he signs it,although for that money and an unknown entity I would expect it to be hand delivered.

 

And if he ever gets tired of building amps he could take up writing,that was a very interesting read.


Bob Carver actually has a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

 

Tim de Paravicini is the designer of the EAR HP4 which is regarded as one of the best headphone amps in existence.

 

Hardly unknown entities.

 

 

 

post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post




Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Hand delivered? My side aches from laughing so hard. for the $10K his last version of this got bid up to you get 2 crates from UPS from any other amp MFR.

 

Its not a unique idea, what he built, just too expensive for anyone to actually build. Good show from him to do it.



Hope you have got over your laughing fit,And I stand by what I said.

post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXII View Post




Bob Carver actually has a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

 

Tim de Paravicini is the designer of the EAR HP4 which is regarded as one of the best headphone amps in existence.

 

Hardly unknown entities.

 

 

 


There are many wonderous person's who have pages dedicated to them,and as to the HP4 being regarded as one of the best,by whom.

 

I would have thought that an amp THAT good and made/designed by such famous people would sell by word of mouth and not by auction.

 

And I repeat that the AMP is an unknown entity as you have no idea as to what it will sound like.

 

But by all means buy it if you think that your ears are capable of picking a pie winding over others.
 

post #7 of 68

Ford2, Way to flaunt your ignorance. You lack historical perspective. If you bothered to learn something before you put your foot in your mouth you might have learned that Bob Carver is an extremely talented and experienced designer. As far back as the 80's Carver built a fantastic set of large Mono Tube amplifiers that many considered the best amps of their day (They were great, but I preferred the solid state Cello Performance amps).

 

Large mono amps for ten grand should come with home delivery? So you're also delusional.

 

As to these amps being an unknown quantity, well to you obviously. However to some who seriously lusted after Carver's big mono block amps from the 80's this is a chance to purchase a brand new up to date version. If I had the money right now I'd seriously consider trying to win this auction.
 

post #8 of 68

We have no idea what alot of amps sound like, yet we all buy them off peoples Head-Fi reviews.

People know Bob Carver. They buy something he made just as easily as Head-Fi members jump on the next RSA amp.

If they were in my price range, i would buy them. I like PTP wiring and the look. 

post #9 of 68



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post

Ford2, Way to flaunt your ignorance. You lack historical perspective. If you bothered to learn something before you put your foot in your mouth you might have learned that Bob Carver is an extremely talented and experienced designer. As far back as the 80's Carver built a fantastic set of large Mono Tube amplifiers that many considered the best amps of their day (They were great, but I preferred the solid state Cello Performance amps).

 

Large mono amps for ten grand should come with home delivery? So you're also delusional.

 

As to these amps being an unknown quantity, well to you obviously. However to some who seriously lusted after Carver's big mono block amps from the 80's this is a chance to purchase a brand new up to date version. If I had the money right now I'd seriously consider trying to win this auction.
 

 

I am quite aware of Mister Carver's audio history thank you,and quite aware that to some of you Americans he is an institution.

 

And despite the fact that I find your tone derogatory I will leave it at that.

 

I trust that one day you will have the resources to attain that which you lust after.

post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post



 

 

I am quite aware of Mister Carver's audio history thank you,and quite aware that to some of you Americans he is an institution.

What does this have to do with being an American? He is an excellent and talented audio designer regardless of where he is from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post

And despite the fact that I find your tone derogatory I will leave it at that.

 

I trust that one day you will have the resources to attain that which you lust after.


This is cute. you start off by commenting on peoples' derogatory tone (perhaps just yikes? your deaf if you didn't catch it from the others too) and follow it up with an insult to someone's means. Nice.
post #11 of 68

All I can say is, 'Wow!"...and drool!

 

Isn't it kind of rare these days that two audio designers, especially of their stature, combine efforts to produce a product?

 

Very cool. 

post #12 of 68

If I had the money, they'd be mine. 

post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post



What does this have to do with being an American? He is an excellent and talented audio designer regardless of where he is from.
This is cute. you start off by commenting on peoples' derogatory tone (perhaps just yikes? your deaf if you didn't catch it from the others too) and follow it up with an insult to someone's means. Nice.



Thank you very much for replying,your views have been digested.

 

And this quote from another forum::Weird stuff. The Carver Amazing Loudspeaker was, well, amazing. The 'Magnetic Field™' amps were shockers. Extremely unreliable (lots of dry solder joints and dodgy connectors). The very early Carver stuff was innovative, but highly flawed. Particularly the preamps. The early power amps were just Phase Linear amps, with a pretty face. Parts, except for transformers should easy enough to source. Mostly not reliable.
 

As you can see there are two sides to every story.

post #14 of 68


You are correct my post was meant to be derogatory. In your posts you come off as a tool so I posted accordingly.

 

Unlike you my profile lists my current system. If you are curious about the resources that I dedicate to this hobby take a look. I've assemble both a decent mid-range speaker rig and Headphone rigs.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post



 

 

I am quite aware of Mister Carver's audio history thank you,and quite aware that to some of you Americans he is an institution.

 

And despite the fact that I find your tone derogatory I will leave it at that.

 

I trust that one day you will have the resources to attain that which you lust after.



 

post #15 of 68

PEACE BROTHERS, I thought this weeks grip sessions were about the new HEAD-FI Site!   and just in case anyone doesn't read anything into my post , It's to make "US" LAUGH!!!Good Night!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum