Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New to watches, need some help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to watches, need some help.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I am only 18 so this may be ridiculous to start another hobby, but I want to get into watches. I have 3 now, a Fossil, and a Nixon, and a cheap Nike for running. I want to get my first real nice watch. I don't want to spend too much so I am looking around the $200 price range. I am new to the watch world so I don't know all of the brands and stuff, I know the main ones such as Rolex, Tag, and Citizen. But I have been looking online to get an idea of what I can get for my price range. Here are a few I found that I really like. But I know nothing about there brands and what not. That is where you guys come in. Let me know how they are and if they are worth it. Thanks.

 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3094842/0~2376777~2374609~6026903?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6026903&P=1

 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3017592/0~2376777~2374609~6026903?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6026903&P=4

 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3094245/0~2376777~2374609~6026903?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6026903&P=6

post #2 of 19

I would suggest you not go to Nordstrom.  

 

If you want to stretch a bit or find a good deal, look at the lower level Tissot watches.  Or, look at Seiko automatic watches.  They actually make their movements in house (i.e. they do not use another manufacturer's movement.  This is/was a pretty big deal in the watch world as it shows you have your own research etc) and are well built.  And the lowest ones can be had for $70, going up to $1000 or so for the high end ones.  

 

I would without a doubt get a Seiko or lower end Tissot if I were in your shoes.

 

-Nkk

 

EDIT:  Just saw your links.  Armani and Diesel are what are called fashion brands.  They have no real merit, but look cool.  I love Skagen's look and design, but alas they are not really that good either.  Quality wise they are good, but when I think high end watch, I think mechanical movement and high quality materials.  What you linked to are quartz watches.  While you may get them (they do work well), on a personal level I feel that there is a beauty and artistry in making a watch with more than 100 tiny moving pieces keep time within 5 or so seconds per 24 hours.  

 

If you do go the quartz route, I would still suggest you shy away from the fashion brands and get something nicer.  I still suggest Tissot quartz movements.

 

Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK793-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B002SSUQF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273348957&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-Mens-T34-1-483-31-Automatic-Watch/dp/B000FBVN96/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273348990&sr=1-5

 

or quartz:

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T52-1-481-31-T-Classic-Desire-Watch/dp/B000HDEAVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273348990&sr=1-2


Edited by nkk - 5/8/10 at 6:03pm
post #3 of 19

At a $200 dollar price range, you can swing yourself a very nice Automatic or Kinetic Seiko, which wear very well. I grew up with the first watches on my wrist being my father's older Seikos and the first two good watches that I had in my collection were a Pulsar (lower end Seiko) Chronograph and a Seiko Kinetic.

post #4 of 19

You can also probably find a used (pre-loved) Hamilton (or other brand, just speaking from what I bought) with a swiss automatic movement for ~$150-200.

post #5 of 19
post #6 of 19

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-Steel-Chronograph-Brown-T36-1-316-72/dp/B000WUND6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273433437&sr=8-1

 

If you can swing it, the Tissot V8 is one of the most beautiful watches, especially in that price range, IMO.

 

Also, I have a $150 Seiko Automatic. It's OK but the movement thingy broke a few months after I got it. I got it warranteed and it's OK now but just saying.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

Wow thanks for all of the replies. I really like that Tissot V8 but it is a little on the expensive side. I will have to see how much graduation money I get :P. Also looking I really like the looks of this one. And I like the fact that is kinetic so no battery. But here are my dream watches. Number 1 and number 2.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SUN007-Kinetic-Black-Watch/dp/B001BMFC4U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273436819&sr=1-4

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Anymore replies?

post #9 of 19

I would stay away from a "quartz" movement such as the one that the Tissot has.  

 

At a $200 price point, the best/durable/most accurate watch you can get is a Seiko with the Kinetic Movement.  

 

I still have the same Kinetic I bought back in 2001, all beat up, scratched and banged up keeping incredibly accurate time.  

 

In the past years, I have purchased several other watches going in the following list:

1993-94 a Hamilton Ventura with quartz mechanism.  It failed back in 2001.  RGM wanted almost $250 for repair.  Quartz are expensive buggers to repair.  The watch cost around $300 back then.

2003-4 a Sinn Chronometer for around $1500....the crown has fallen off and I need to send it for repair.  Automatic.

2005    a Sinn EZM-4 Quartz limited edition for around $950, still beating strong, will need to send it to Germany for battery change as the case is silicon filled, in other to have it 100% fully waterproof.

2004 a Stowa Aviator with a handwound vintage 1970s German mechanism, working flawlessly.

 

For the money, the Seiko has been the best investment but in terms of aesthetics, it is a compromise.  

post #10 of 19

usualy japanese quartz movements tend to have better reliability then swiss ones,

post #11 of 19

Based on my experiences, I would definitely not recommend a Seiko Kinetic. I got one two years ago that I still have. Last year the watch started running too fast so I sent it in for warranty to get fixed. 1.5 months later I got the watch back, and they had to replace the entire movement inside the watch. Now the watch has started running way too fast again. Before it gained about 5 minutes per week, now it gains about 2-3 minutes per day. Not only that, but the clasp is broken as well.

 

I am wishing I had just got an Ecodrive now. I am not happy at all with the Seiko automatics.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post

Based on my experiences, I would definitely not recommend a Seiko Kinetic. I got one two years ago that I still have. Last year the watch started running too fast so I sent it in for warranty to get fixed. 1.5 months later I got the watch back, and they had to replace the entire movement inside the watch. Now the watch has started running way too fast again. Before it gained about 5 minutes per week, now it gains about 2-3 minutes per day. Not only that, but the clasp is broken as well.

 

I am wishing I had just got an Ecodrive now. I am not happy at all with the Seiko automatics.


The Seiko Automatics are different from the Seiko Kinetics. The Kinetic is actually a hybrid using an automatic movement to charge a capacitor that runs a quartz movement. It is not a true Automatic. Seiko does make true automatic watches as well.

 

The Kinetic is actually a robust watch. My personal Kinetic and my father's current Kinetic do not have the problem your describing and are very accurate. However, I know what you're talking about because my dad's first Kinetic displayed this exact problem after about 4-5 years of good use. Some of the models were constructed with a different capacitor assembly that can go bad and if it does, the entire movement has to be replaced. However, many of these models are posted online so you know which to avoid to some extent if you were to go in that direction.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d View Post

Wow thanks for all of the replies. I really like that Tissot V8 but it is a little on the expensive side. I will have to see how much graduation money I get :P. Also looking I really like the looks of this one. And I like the fact that is kinetic so no battery. But here are my dream watches. Number 1 and number 2.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SUN007-Kinetic-Black-Watch/dp/B001BMFC4U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1273436819&sr=1-4


I'd go with an automatic Seiko, like the Monster. (SKX779). You could also (if you don't mind homages) get http://www.alphawatchusa.com/_catalog_54156/The_Daytona

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by appophylite View Post




The Seiko Automatics are different from the Seiko Kinetics. The Kinetic is actually a hybrid using an automatic movement to charge a capacitor that runs a quartz movement. It is not a true Automatic. Seiko does make true automatic watches as well.

 

The Kinetic is actually a robust watch. My personal Kinetic and my father's current Kinetic do not have the problem your describing and are very accurate. However, I know what you're talking about because my dad's first Kinetic displayed this exact problem after about 4-5 years of good use. Some of the models were constructed with a different capacitor assembly that can go bad and if it does, the entire movement has to be replaced. However, many of these models are posted online so you know which to avoid to some extent if you were to go in that direction.

 

Oh OK, I have a full automatic watch, but based on that I wouldn't recommend a Seiko automatic for less than $200. My watch cost $140 and had a good review on Amazon when I bought it but it's pretty terrible right now.

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post



 

Oh OK, I have a full automatic watch, but based on that I wouldn't recommend a Seiko automatic for less than $200. My watch cost $140 and had a good review on Amazon when I bought it but it's pretty terrible right now.


Well what watch was it? SKX779s and SKX007s (and their variants) tend to be pretty good automatics for under $200.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New to watches, need some help.