What portable amplifier do you guys think is a perfect match for Sony X series walkman?
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/21/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSonytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series 16 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Displaytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series 32 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Displaytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series (X1051 & X1061) 16GB & 32GB Video MP3 Player Silicone Skin Case Cover (BLACK)tagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony X series 1060tagged by System, 7/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Zune HD vs Sony X Last post on 9/16/10 at 7:43am in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X1060 stuck at 'Every moment has its music' loading screen Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:00am in Portable Source Gear
- player with huge soundstage? Last post on 1/10/12 at 4:07pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X or Hifiman 602 Last post on 10/23/10 at 1:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X or S series for ? Last post on 2/2/11 at 2:27pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Portable Amplifier for Sony X series Walkmanpost #1 of 405/7/10 at 4:14pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 405/7/10 at 4:31pmpost #3 of 405/7/10 at 6:01pmpost #4 of 405/9/10 at 7:43pmThread Starterpost #5 of 405/9/10 at 8:02pm
Well I'm using an X and with a PA2V2 there is no difference, that S-Master Digital Amplifier Sony put in it is pretty good, so I'm going higher go to the 38 amp round up thread, and look at the top of the tier 1 amps, that's what I'm getting
Edited by Blasto_Brandino - 5/10/10 at 1:02ampost #6 of 405/10/10 at 2:58pm
I am using the X1050 together with the Headstage Arrow 12HE using a silver/copper LOD.
It noticably improves SQ. The Arrow amp is extremely versatile with crossfeed, bass boost, impedance and gain adjustments and makes my Hifiman RE0 sing like never before.
Edited by Negakinu - 5/10/10 at 8:01pmpost #7 of 405/10/10 at 5:20pm
I'm running the Headstage Arrow 12HE as well, and agree with Negakinu about its improvements. Also, as others have wondered, the X does have a very good internal amplifier and therefore takes a top tier amp to really make a difference. I hardly noticed a difference with the Mustang, then had decent improvements with the Shadow and Rx, but settled on the Arrow after reading up on its flexibility. The Rx and Arrow provide about the same amount of SQ bump (although with slightly different sonic characteristics), but I prefer the Arrow's form factor and flexibility in features over the ALO. Search Ebay for the LOD cable to benefit the most from whatever amp you choose.
Good luck.post #8 of 405/11/10 at 9:46amThread Starter
If the Sony walkman has a nice amp inside it, why would you bypass it with an LOD. Isn't that what an LOD does?post #9 of 405/11/10 at 10:20am
I personally wouldn't use any portable amps for any of the Sony Walkman players unless you really need more gain for your headphones than what the internal amp provides (but do any portable headphones/IEM's really need that?), or if your player is hissy and you need to bypass it or something. Sony players sound great on their own and that's their major selling point over here in the first place...post #10 of 405/11/10 at 1:48pm
I can attest to the high caliber of the S master amplifier in the sony X1060 at least compared to some of the portable amps I tried. Despite its warmth, I actually preferred it to the ibasso D4, D10 and nuforce uDAC because it sounds more natural, shows a more vivid picture of air around and between instruments, had better treble extension and to me sounded more musical.post #11 of 405/15/10 at 12:00pm
i use an ibasso D10 with my sony X, with an ALO line-out dock. the walkman's internal amp does provide a clean sound, but it doesn't have enough power to make my ultrasone pro 750's loud, even at max volume. i chose the d10 because it has a good DAC too that i use with my laptop. if i didn't need the DAC, i would probably have gone for a headstage arrow or pico slim.
a sidenote that may be of interest: when plugged into an amp from the line-out, the volume is disabled in the sony, but the sound processing effects and EQ still work. i'm assuming because the sony has a digital amp which modifies the sound before it gets transformed into an analog signal.
edit: the ibasso d10 also helps get rid of some hiss/noise that i notice when using my orto e-q7's straight from the headphone out.
Edited by seekadds - 5/15/10 at 5:11pmpost #12 of 405/15/10 at 3:15pmThread Starter
What does you guys think of RSA protector? I hear alot of good things about that amp. If I don't have any balanced headphones is it really necessary? I also want something to drive my Beyer 600ohm, and I've heard that the protector can do that.
Edited by High_Q - 5/15/10 at 9:11pmpost #13 of 405/15/10 at 10:55pmpost #14 of 405/16/10 at 5:42ampost #15 of 405/17/10 at 12:47am
- Portable Amplifier for Sony X series Walkman
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audio-GD NFB-1AMP 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 14 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 18 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 19 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 22 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 23 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 23 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 23 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 day ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear