What portable amplifier do you guys think is a perfect match for Sony X series walkman?
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/21/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSonytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series 16 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Displaytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series 32 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Displaytagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony Walkman X Series (X1051 & X1061) 16GB & 32GB Video MP3 Player Silicone Skin Case Cover (BLACK)tagged by System, 7/21/10
- productSony X series 1060tagged by System, 7/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Zune HD vs Sony X Last post on 9/16/10 at 7:43am in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X1060 stuck at 'Every moment has its music' loading screen Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:00am in Portable Source Gear
- player with huge soundstage? Last post on 1/10/12 at 4:07pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X or Hifiman 602 Last post on 10/23/10 at 1:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Sony X or S series for ? Last post on 2/2/11 at 2:27pm in Portable Source Gear
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
- Headphone Impedance
Portable Amplifier for Sony X series Walkman
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well I'm using an X and with a PA2V2 there is no difference, that S-Master Digital Amplifier Sony put in it is pretty good, so I'm going higher go to the 38 amp round up thread, and look at the top of the tier 1 amps, that's what I'm getting
Edited by Blasto_Brandino - 5/10/10 at 1:02am
I am using the X1050 together with the Headstage Arrow 12HE using a silver/copper LOD.
It noticably improves SQ. The Arrow amp is extremely versatile with crossfeed, bass boost, impedance and gain adjustments and makes my Hifiman RE0 sing like never before.
Edited by Negakinu - 5/10/10 at 8:01pm
I'm running the Headstage Arrow 12HE as well, and agree with Negakinu about its improvements. Also, as others have wondered, the X does have a very good internal amplifier and therefore takes a top tier amp to really make a difference. I hardly noticed a difference with the Mustang, then had decent improvements with the Shadow and Rx, but settled on the Arrow after reading up on its flexibility. The Rx and Arrow provide about the same amount of SQ bump (although with slightly different sonic characteristics), but I prefer the Arrow's form factor and flexibility in features over the ALO. Search Ebay for the LOD cable to benefit the most from whatever amp you choose.
If the Sony walkman has a nice amp inside it, why would you bypass it with an LOD. Isn't that what an LOD does?
I personally wouldn't use any portable amps for any of the Sony Walkman players unless you really need more gain for your headphones than what the internal amp provides (but do any portable headphones/IEM's really need that?), or if your player is hissy and you need to bypass it or something. Sony players sound great on their own and that's their major selling point over here in the first place...
I can attest to the high caliber of the S master amplifier in the sony X1060 at least compared to some of the portable amps I tried. Despite its warmth, I actually preferred it to the ibasso D4, D10 and nuforce uDAC because it sounds more natural, shows a more vivid picture of air around and between instruments, had better treble extension and to me sounded more musical.
i use an ibasso D10 with my sony X, with an ALO line-out dock. the walkman's internal amp does provide a clean sound, but it doesn't have enough power to make my ultrasone pro 750's loud, even at max volume. i chose the d10 because it has a good DAC too that i use with my laptop. if i didn't need the DAC, i would probably have gone for a headstage arrow or pico slim.
a sidenote that may be of interest: when plugged into an amp from the line-out, the volume is disabled in the sony, but the sound processing effects and EQ still work. i'm assuming because the sony has a digital amp which modifies the sound before it gets transformed into an analog signal.
edit: the ibasso d10 also helps get rid of some hiss/noise that i notice when using my orto e-q7's straight from the headphone out.
Edited by seekadds - 5/15/10 at 5:11pm
What does you guys think of RSA protector? I hear alot of good things about that amp. If I don't have any balanced headphones is it really necessary? I also want something to drive my Beyer 600ohm, and I've heard that the protector can do that.
Edited by High_Q - 5/15/10 at 9:11pm
- Portable Amplifier for Sony X series Walkman
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 47 seconds ago
- › AKG K340 & K701 1 minute ago
- › Damaged Structure on Soundmagic HP100 2 minutes ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Official Reggae/Ska/Dub Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)