Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: ViSang R02 [Brainwavz ProAlpha] - Too Good, Too Soon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: ViSang R02 [Brainwavz ProAlpha] - Too Good, Too Soon? - Page 3

post #31 of 42

From what I know, Raz still has plan for the ProAlpha in a later time once the supply of M1 and M2 is stable. As to the relatively new VS-R04, it is called the 'collector edition'. I have the SP1 for a while and personally didn't find the housing to be uncomfortable.

post #32 of 42
Thread Starter 

Well, it's taken a while but the ProAlpha is now out. Assuming the render is at least somewhat accurate, the mp4nation version will have longer strain reliefs (a-la VSonic R02ProII) and a longer 45-degree plug (a-la Grado iGi). 

post #33 of 42

I was wondering when they were going to release a rebranded version of these. I already have a R02 so I'm good and the fact that I don't like 45 degree angle plugs that much unless they are accompanied by a very good cable then it is forgiven such as the case with the M9 I used to have.

post #34 of 42

Hi, I'm looking for a new headphone and this is the best I've found so far. But still, I'm confusing with lots of technical words you'd used in your review( can't understand all of it since I'm not a audiophile sr). Besides, Visang  - Brainwavz called their each iem with different names so I hardly know what exactly what you are reviewing. Could you give me an suggestion based on this:
Upgrade from MEElec M9(barely broke the cable),for hip-hop and electronic music, bass required, need isolation (for bus travel). Which is the best option for me?

Brainwavz Alpha IEM Earphones vs Brainwavz M1 IEM Earphones  vs Brainwavz ProAlpha IEM Earphones  vs Recable my M9( around 10$ with great cord+jack quality)

All of 3 iem are pre-ordering  here (http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51&sort=20a) and use those name(instead of Visang R02 or R01 etc.) would be easier for me to order.

post #35 of 42
Thread Starter 

Ok, I understand where the confusion is coming from so I have added a table of the Brainwavz/ViSang models to the Intro section of the review. Hopefully that will be helpful for those confused by the model names.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk13 View Post

Hi, I'm looking for a new headphone and this is the best I've found so far. But still, I'm confusing with lots of technical words you'd used in your review( can't understand all of it since I'm not a audiophile sr). Besides, Visang  - Brainwavz called their each iem with different names so I hardly know what exactly what you are reviewing. Could you give me an suggestion based on this:
Upgrade from MEElec M9(barely broke the cable),for hip-hop and electronic music, bass required, need isolation (for bus travel). Which is the best option for me?


This particular review is for the ViSang R02, a.k.a the Brainwavz ProAlpha. I reviewed the Brainwavz M1 (which has no ViSang equivalent) separately here. The Alpha I have not heard and it's only $10 so I wouldn't expect it to compete with the M1/ProAlpha. For hip-hop I would go with the ProAlpha which is bassier and smoother than the M1. It won't have as much low bass as your M9 but it will be cleaner and more accurate. It will also have much more present mids. Isolation is at least on-par with the M9 so I wouldn't worry about it.

post #36 of 42

@ljokerl

 

I'm new to IEMS and I've been reading lots of your reviews but I'd still like your advise.

 

I'll be mostly using them on the train to work with my ipod Nano and an ibasso T3 which I already own.

I've shortlisted the iems below which are all under 100$. I like my music warm and with lots of bass and I'm trying to get the same sound signature as my main rig (see sig). I listen to pretty much all sorts of music going from Johnny cash to Linkin park to Metallica, just not techno/dance music. Oh, and I do have small earcanals

 

1. Visang R02/R03: But as you concluded the R02 have the best value/money

2. Fischer Audio Eterna

3. Hippo VB: I saw you recommending the Hippo VB to someone who likes bass, but I recall you saying they lack the warmth and thickness usually associated with fun and bassy sound

 

So which ones you think will suit me best? I won't be using them at home or at work, just during transport and walks. or should I consider another one?

 

Thanks a lot...these iems are even more complicated then full size heapdphones

post #37 of 42

I personally think the brainwavz series have garnered more than enough fame to stand on their own two feet instead of spawning new line of products that closely resemble Visang or any other makers. They are bound to confuse people and make associations, fair or otherwise. 

 

I looked at the Music Valley SP1 and can't help but think that the M3 can't be that good. 

 

If Raz is thinking of something for the M4, I hope it will be a departure from such clones. I hear a (double) balance armature is on some people's wishlist. 


Edited by cowculator - 11/3/10 at 7:03am
post #38 of 42

Unless I'm mistaken it really isn't about visang being able to stand by themselves or not but rather market availability. Unless I'm mistaken ViSang is sold mostly in China while Brainwavz is the international version where more are sold outside of China. They probably have some kind of agreement where Brainwavz is not allowed to be sold in China I'm guessing.

 

@Ultrainferno: I think the Eterna will provide more bass than you will ever need. I had the v1 but if the v2 is a slightly more balanced configuration it still has more bass than you will ever need. Warm and lots of bass is what I would describe the Eterna as.

post #39 of 42
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

1. Visang R02/R03: But as you concluded the R02 have the best value/money

2. Fischer Audio Eterna

3. Hippo VB: I saw you recommending the Hippo VB to someone who likes bass, but I recall you saying they lack the warmth and thickness usually associated with fun and bassy sound

 

So which ones you think will suit me best? I won't be using them at home or at work, just during transport and walks. or should I consider another one?

 

Hmm... I've actually never heard the DT990/600 but based on your requirements I'd agree with rawrster and say go with the Eterna out of those three. The VB is not a warm earphone despite being bassy - the midrange is very analytical - thin and dry, not at all unlike that of the RE0. The R02 are not bass monsters (at least not compared to the Eterna). Like the R03 they've got a few dB of bass boost below 120Hz or so but I don't consider them basshead earphones. If you really like your bass, you can't go wrong with the Eterna for the money. The ergonomic form factor should work with your ears, too.


Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Unless I'm mistaken it really isn't about visang being able to stand by themselves or not but rather market availability. Unless I'm mistaken ViSang is sold mostly in China while Brainwavz is the international version where more are sold outside of China. They probably have some kind of agreement where Brainwavz is not allowed to be sold in China I'm guessing.


+1. The Brainwavz earphones are not clones but rather re-brands considering that ViSang earphones are only officially for sale in the domestic (Chinese) market. The old Brainwavz earphones were also rebrands, just of VSonic earphones and not ViSang ones.

 

The new M3 is not related to the Music Valley SP1 in any way except the form factor, and even that has been modified with longer nozzles which will hopefully result in a better fit.

post #40 of 42

Thanks Rawrster & ljokerl for the quick feedback! I'll go order the Eternas @ GD audiobase. Cheers!

post #41 of 42

They arrived today, after 8 days (+4 before getting shipped by Audiobase). I'm picking them up later tonight. Can't wait!

 

Edit: I've hooked them up to the Maverick tubeamp and I'm very impressed. I never expected this quality sound from IEMs. Just a bit of hiss when volume is at 0, but I guess that's normal for IEMs(?)

It definately is warm and bassy and the highs are great, the mids are a bit less pronounced atm but with burn in I'm sure this will all change a little.

Straight from my laptop they are way less bassy, but that combination isn't what I bought them for. iPod here I come...

 

Anyway, I'm very happy with the sound. Thanks again for recommending them to me!! smile.gif


Edited by Ultrainferno - 11/16/10 at 11:50am
post #42 of 42
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

Edit: I've hooked them up to the Maverick tubeamp and I'm very impressed. I never expected this quality sound from IEMs. Just a bit of hiss when volume is at 0, but I guess that's normal for IEMs(?)



Well your amp probably wasn't designed for efficient IEMs so you're getting a bit of an impedance mismatch. You can throw an impedance adapter/attenuator in there to get rid of that. Congrats on finding a set that you like wink.gif.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: ViSang R02 [Brainwavz ProAlpha] - Too Good, Too Soon?