I used to use exclusively earphones. Now it's the complete opposite. A big part of it is because all my listening is done at home now rather than on-the-go.
Related Forum Threads
- IEM guy needs recommendations for full size phones... Last post on 7/21/12 at 8:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Earsonic SM3 alternative? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for under $400 Last post on 7/6/12 at 6:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- UM3X isn't doing it for me anymore... I need suggestions Last post on 6/11/12 at 9:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMS for DJING - Suggestions? :) Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
This review won't be too detailed, just a vote of respect for such a fine pair of headphones. I tend to like warm toned headphones, rather than purely neutral sets, and the Philips Fidelio X2 has...
VOTE: Headphones or earphones? - Page 2post #16 of 445/7/10 at 7:16pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 445/15/10 at 9:40pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs, I further clarify my requirements: source: definitely portable player. I mostly listen to online radio shows, podcasts and such, I don't want to mess with CDs, and I just think the best source nowadays is a portable player with actual capacity. Though, capacity doesn't have to be exactly huge, to listen to some actual downloaded podcasts, you see. I also like the the freedom to move around in my house with my rig on.
As the source should be an earphone or a headphone... Hung0702, the Yuin PK3 recommended by you is the only type which is not going to work, because this type simply cannot stay in my ears. So it can be a pair of in-ear phones or headphones. Of headphones, I don't know it's open or closed, which sounds better.
Which one it should be then? What is interesting that you said that for the same price a headphone produces better sound than earphones. So let's make three comparisons, either winner can be an in-ear phone or a headphone: best sound under $50, under $100 and under $500?
I like pure and natural sound with no distortion.
With all this clarification for my requirements, I think it is quite fair to compare these two -even if you may call these- different kinds of animals.post #18 of 446/24/10 at 9:39pm
Does anyone else believe this?
IEM's excel in portability, stealth and price. At any quality.post #19 of 446/24/10 at 9:46pmpost #20 of 446/24/10 at 11:17pmpost #21 of 446/24/10 at 11:51pm
For straight-up musical enjoyment, open headphones at home or in an otherwise secluded spot. But there are plenty of times when that's not practical. Walking to class, on a bus ride, others sleeping in the room... That's where IEM's come in.post #22 of 446/25/10 at 2:20am
Sorry guys, you're all wrong!
IEMs usually slide in easily but if you pull 'em out too fast the negative pressure hurts the eardrums. Also pulling on the cords is extremely uncomfortable. For the right sound you have to fiddle around and search the perfect fit just to pull 'em out if somebody wants to talk to you - just to start all over again afterwards.
If you want to put them aside you have to be very carefully as not to knot together the cordles.
Headphones are visible for everyone, but with hidden IEMs you might come off as arrogant or inobservent to people calling your name. Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming - with headphones they know you don't!
My ear canals sweat also more from IEMs than my ears sweat from black headphones in daylight.
IEMs are just very inconvinient in every way possible to me. Good if you actually use them as in ear monitors but they fail as portable earphones.post #23 of 446/25/10 at 5:54ampost #24 of 446/25/10 at 6:04amQuote:
Fixed. Happy now?post #25 of 446/25/10 at 6:13ampost #26 of 446/25/10 at 8:48am
Looks like it's shizgeo's, Sleek Audio customs: http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/04/11/sleek-audio-custom-iem-in-review-perfection/
And I find in my experience that at the same price point, headphones will always have an advantage over IEMs, sound quality wise. Usability is a different story though, IEMs are a lot more practical to use, especially outside running around. Both have their own purposes.post #27 of 446/25/10 at 9:00ampost #28 of 446/25/10 at 9:35amQuote:Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming
Stay on the sidewalk.
IEMs for public imo, mostly because they're more easily stored away when not in use, and wearing big cans looks silly. At home I use a pair of Sony MDR-NC80s that I found. Left a note but nobody claimed them. I have no idea if they're considered good or not, but they seem pretty nice to me.
Edited by HappyFi - 6/25/10 at 9:42ampost #29 of 446/25/10 at 1:53pm
For me - headphones. To this time, I don´t fall in love with in-ear-things
Explanation why: I really don´t care what people think about my HUGE cans, if I love how they sounds. Howgh
Edited by casioa5302ca - 6/25/10 at 3:10pmpost #30 of 446/25/10 at 2:03pm
I do agree that to get the same quality from an earphone as you would a headphone, you tend to pay a bit more. And as for headphones being ugly in public, its not necessarily the case. OK, a pair of massive sennheisers WILL get you some funny looks, but smaller headphones aren't so bad. And I've never been as comfortable shoving things in my ears so i stay away from earphones if canReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- VOTE: Headphones or earphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 10 seconds ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 58 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 58 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › zune 120 gb help pleas 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 9 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 14 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Wizard Savanna Giveaway! 16 minutes ago
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor by Kerry56
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...