I used to use exclusively earphones. Now it's the complete opposite. A big part of it is because all my listening is done at home now rather than on-the-go.
Related Forum Threads
- IEM guy needs recommendations for full size phones... Last post on 7/21/12 at 8:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Earsonic SM3 alternative? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for under $400 Last post on 7/6/12 at 6:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- UM3X isn't doing it for me anymore... I need suggestions Last post on 6/11/12 at 9:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMS for DJING - Suggestions? :) Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon to...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
VOTE: Headphones or earphones? - Page 2post #16 of 445/7/10 at 7:16pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 445/15/10 at 9:40pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs, I further clarify my requirements: source: definitely portable player. I mostly listen to online radio shows, podcasts and such, I don't want to mess with CDs, and I just think the best source nowadays is a portable player with actual capacity. Though, capacity doesn't have to be exactly huge, to listen to some actual downloaded podcasts, you see. I also like the the freedom to move around in my house with my rig on.
As the source should be an earphone or a headphone... Hung0702, the Yuin PK3 recommended by you is the only type which is not going to work, because this type simply cannot stay in my ears. So it can be a pair of in-ear phones or headphones. Of headphones, I don't know it's open or closed, which sounds better.
Which one it should be then? What is interesting that you said that for the same price a headphone produces better sound than earphones. So let's make three comparisons, either winner can be an in-ear phone or a headphone: best sound under $50, under $100 and under $500?
I like pure and natural sound with no distortion.
With all this clarification for my requirements, I think it is quite fair to compare these two -even if you may call these- different kinds of animals.post #18 of 446/24/10 at 9:39pm
Does anyone else believe this?
IEM's excel in portability, stealth and price. At any quality.post #19 of 446/24/10 at 9:46pmpost #20 of 446/24/10 at 11:17pmpost #21 of 446/24/10 at 11:51pm
For straight-up musical enjoyment, open headphones at home or in an otherwise secluded spot. But there are plenty of times when that's not practical. Walking to class, on a bus ride, others sleeping in the room... That's where IEM's come in.post #22 of 446/25/10 at 2:20am
Sorry guys, you're all wrong!
IEMs usually slide in easily but if you pull 'em out too fast the negative pressure hurts the eardrums. Also pulling on the cords is extremely uncomfortable. For the right sound you have to fiddle around and search the perfect fit just to pull 'em out if somebody wants to talk to you - just to start all over again afterwards.
If you want to put them aside you have to be very carefully as not to knot together the cordles.
Headphones are visible for everyone, but with hidden IEMs you might come off as arrogant or inobservent to people calling your name. Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming - with headphones they know you don't!
My ear canals sweat also more from IEMs than my ears sweat from black headphones in daylight.
IEMs are just very inconvinient in every way possible to me. Good if you actually use them as in ear monitors but they fail as portable earphones.post #23 of 446/25/10 at 5:54ampost #24 of 446/25/10 at 6:04amQuote:
Fixed. Happy now?post #25 of 446/25/10 at 6:13ampost #26 of 446/25/10 at 8:48am
Looks like it's shizgeo's, Sleek Audio customs: http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/04/11/sleek-audio-custom-iem-in-review-perfection/
And I find in my experience that at the same price point, headphones will always have an advantage over IEMs, sound quality wise. Usability is a different story though, IEMs are a lot more practical to use, especially outside running around. Both have their own purposes.post #27 of 446/25/10 at 9:00ampost #28 of 446/25/10 at 9:35amQuote:Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming
Stay on the sidewalk.
IEMs for public imo, mostly because they're more easily stored away when not in use, and wearing big cans looks silly. At home I use a pair of Sony MDR-NC80s that I found. Left a note but nobody claimed them. I have no idea if they're considered good or not, but they seem pretty nice to me.
Edited by HappyFi - 6/25/10 at 9:42ampost #29 of 446/25/10 at 1:53pm
For me - headphones. To this time, I don´t fall in love with in-ear-things
Explanation why: I really don´t care what people think about my HUGE cans, if I love how they sounds. Howgh
Edited by casioa5302ca - 6/25/10 at 3:10pmpost #30 of 446/25/10 at 2:03pm
I do agree that to get the same quality from an earphone as you would a headphone, you tend to pay a bit more. And as for headphones being ugly in public, its not necessarily the case. OK, a pair of massive sennheisers WILL get you some funny looks, but smaller headphones aren't so bad. And I've never been as comfortable shoving things in my ears so i stay away from earphones if canReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- VOTE: Headphones or earphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 38 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 3 minutes ago
- › Blast from the Past - Post your favourites, any genre any decade 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 8 minutes ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 9 minutes ago
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...