- 90 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Amp advice for a first-timer Last post on 10/27/11 at 1:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Audinst AMP-HP: impressions and reviews Last post on 8/14/13 at 12:03am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Testing audiophile claims and myths - Page 113post #1681 of 227612/9/12 at 6:05amAnd : "The DAC in the avr is optimized for multichannel use i.e. dts, etc. I don't expect it to do stereo extremely well. From my similar dealings I found the amps/source signature the same on analogue and hdmi. However, I did notice a bit more bottom end via the analogues. It wasn't really day and night. Could be the snake oil in the interconnects. As Hi-amphibian said we don't know how much is going digital. However, when I tried a much higher end cd player on the analogues it was a day and night difference".
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1682 of 227612/9/12 at 9:23ampost #1683 of 227612/9/12 at 9:49ampost #1684 of 227612/9/12 at 10:09amIt's our local AV forum. Just click on the link and read the posts ... at your peril.. ; - ) Every now and then we get an audiofool. If you are up to the challenge why not sign up and set these people straight?
Edited by Yahzi - 12/9/12 at 10:21ampost #1685 of 227612/9/12 at 11:00ampost #1686 of 227612/9/12 at 11:15ampost #1687 of 227612/9/12 at 1:12pmQuote:
In my experience, they find ways to dismiss such interventions. Until they start to seek out and think critically for themselves it's an uphill battle to fight fiction with fact.
That's not to say that it is not still valuable to put facts out there. It is. But to expect a tiger to change its stripes just because an outside came in and proved them wrong, is unreasonable.post #1688 of 227612/9/12 at 1:15pmpost #1689 of 227612/9/12 at 3:51pmQuote:
It suggests that some analog input signals are then digitized internally by an ADC possibly for digital signal processing (Dolby, THX).post #1690 of 227612/9/12 at 5:14pmI would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!post #1691 of 227612/9/12 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by scootsit
I would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!
Handling the media is priming you to listen, and there may be favorable associations with past experiences? I'm no psychologist.post #1692 of 227612/9/12 at 5:37pmpost #1693 of 227612/10/12 at 5:20amGuys, take a look at this cable "test" from the forums."Another week, another test.
One perticilurly good recording, with elements or bass, mids and airy highs.
(a) Van Den hul Silver TC
(b) Kimber KCAG
(c) The R4.95 RCA
as reference. Siltech SQ88
Please note that even at 1500 euro for most expensive one here, this is NOT high end cable - more medium level.
Two victims, one audiophile the other never been exposed to high end hifi and a videophile.
I played same song with each of the cable, asked each person to say
1) DID they hear a difference ?
2) Which sounded best and worst
I repeated the test 15 times, swapping cables at random, twice not swapping
I didnr have KPGM to verify the results BUT this is what I found
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
(a) and (b) was felt almost to close to call BUT even with that slight difference
(a) was picked by BOTH people 5/7 times to be the best and nicest sounding (b) 2 times and the rest undecided..
The BAD news ?
The RCA sounded too good to be in there! It should have been bad bad
Comparing the VanDen Hul with a Siltech SQ88 (1500 euro) made almost no difference... no conclusive decision could be made if the sound changed or not.... to all the listeners it "sounded the same"
That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
But DAMMIT I should not have bought the expensive Siltechs Albeit at 75% discount. If I paid the full R20k I would have been pulling my hair out.
Now for speaker cables "post #1694 of 227612/10/12 at 7:11amQuote:
Which recording, what was the entire playback chain?Quote:
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
So what is it, 5 or 3 times? What about a?Quote:The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
5/5 still has a 3.1% probability of guessing and 4/5 of 18.8%.
You should have done (at least) 10 trials per cable and identified the cable 9 times.Quote:That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
Not really.post #1695 of 227612/10/12 at 7:32amQuote:
It is a quote from another forum, the test was not done by Yahzi.
It is not always easy to make a test like this fully blind, by the way, there are often subconscious cues that allow the listeners to find out what cable is being used.
Edited by stv014 - 12/10/12 at 8:43am
- Testing audiophile claims and myths
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 20 seconds ago
- › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD 1 minute ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › THE NEW CUSTOM IEM PIC THREAD :)))))) 1 minute ago
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your gaming set-up 3 minutes ago
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe