- 95 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Amp advice for a first-timer Last post on 10/27/11 at 1:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: Today
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
My wife returned from two weeks in Japan today. While I was glad to see her after time apart, and excited to have her back, a part of me was more excited about what she had brought with her: my...
I bought this headphone amp after having met Ray Samuels at a Headphone show. He made it absolutely clear how much he valued over-engineering his pieces and how much he prioritized long term...
I use this Headphone amp with my V-Moda M-100's. The 100's are just too "dark" without something to mitigate on the top octave's behalf. The OLED display is bright clean and easy to read. (A...
Build, Overall Usage: I have Sennheiser RS 130 for over 8 years now (and still lasting!) which says enough about their durability, and which is the most thing fascinating for me, I haven't...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
Testing audiophile claims and myths - Page 113post #1681 of 628412/9/12 at 6:05amAnd : "The DAC in the avr is optimized for multichannel use i.e. dts, etc. I don't expect it to do stereo extremely well. From my similar dealings I found the amps/source signature the same on analogue and hdmi. However, I did notice a bit more bottom end via the analogues. It wasn't really day and night. Could be the snake oil in the interconnects. As Hi-amphibian said we don't know how much is going digital. However, when I tried a much higher end cd player on the analogues it was a day and night difference".
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1682 of 628412/9/12 at 9:23ampost #1683 of 628412/9/12 at 9:49ampost #1684 of 628412/9/12 at 10:09amIt's our local AV forum. Just click on the link and read the posts ... at your peril.. ; - ) Every now and then we get an audiofool. If you are up to the challenge why not sign up and set these people straight?
Edited by Yahzi - 12/9/12 at 10:21ampost #1685 of 628412/9/12 at 11:00ampost #1686 of 628412/9/12 at 11:15ampost #1687 of 628412/9/12 at 1:12pmQuote:
In my experience, they find ways to dismiss such interventions. Until they start to seek out and think critically for themselves it's an uphill battle to fight fiction with fact.
That's not to say that it is not still valuable to put facts out there. It is. But to expect a tiger to change its stripes just because an outside came in and proved them wrong, is unreasonable.post #1688 of 628412/9/12 at 1:15pmpost #1689 of 628412/9/12 at 3:51pmQuote:
It suggests that some analog input signals are then digitized internally by an ADC possibly for digital signal processing (Dolby, THX).post #1690 of 628412/9/12 at 5:14pmI would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!post #1691 of 628412/9/12 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by scootsit
I would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!
Handling the media is priming you to listen, and there may be favorable associations with past experiences? I'm no psychologist.post #1692 of 628412/9/12 at 5:37pmpost #1693 of 628412/10/12 at 5:20amGuys, take a look at this cable "test" from the forums."Another week, another test.
One perticilurly good recording, with elements or bass, mids and airy highs.
(a) Van Den hul Silver TC
(b) Kimber KCAG
(c) The R4.95 RCA
as reference. Siltech SQ88
Please note that even at 1500 euro for most expensive one here, this is NOT high end cable - more medium level.
Two victims, one audiophile the other never been exposed to high end hifi and a videophile.
I played same song with each of the cable, asked each person to say
1) DID they hear a difference ?
2) Which sounded best and worst
I repeated the test 15 times, swapping cables at random, twice not swapping
I didnr have KPGM to verify the results BUT this is what I found
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
(a) and (b) was felt almost to close to call BUT even with that slight difference
(a) was picked by BOTH people 5/7 times to be the best and nicest sounding (b) 2 times and the rest undecided..
The BAD news ?
The RCA sounded too good to be in there! It should have been bad bad
Comparing the VanDen Hul with a Siltech SQ88 (1500 euro) made almost no difference... no conclusive decision could be made if the sound changed or not.... to all the listeners it "sounded the same"
That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
But DAMMIT I should not have bought the expensive Siltechs Albeit at 75% discount. If I paid the full R20k I would have been pulling my hair out.
Now for speaker cables "post #1694 of 628412/10/12 at 7:11amQuote:
Which recording, what was the entire playback chain?Quote:
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
So what is it, 5 or 3 times? What about a?Quote:The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
5/5 still has a 3.1% probability of guessing and 4/5 of 18.8%.
You should have done (at least) 10 trials per cable and identified the cable 9 times.Quote:That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
Not really.post #1695 of 628412/10/12 at 7:32amQuote:
It is a quote from another forum, the test was not done by Yahzi.
It is not always easy to make a test like this fully blind, by the way, there are often subconscious cues that allow the listeners to find out what cable is being used.
Edited by stv014 - 12/10/12 at 8:43am
- Testing audiophile claims and myths
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 22 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Budget amp for HD 598 and DT 880 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Can someone tell me what headphones these are? 3 minutes ago
- › FIIO OTG Support Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 5 minutes ago
- › Why boosting 30 Hz by 30 dB sounds so good... 5 minutes ago
- › Clear Tune Monitors CT-500 Elite Review & Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2