- 95 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Amp advice for a first-timer Last post on 10/27/11 at 1:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Testing audiophile claims and myths - Page 113post #1681 of 367612/9/12 at 6:05amAnd : "The DAC in the avr is optimized for multichannel use i.e. dts, etc. I don't expect it to do stereo extremely well. From my similar dealings I found the amps/source signature the same on analogue and hdmi. However, I did notice a bit more bottom end via the analogues. It wasn't really day and night. Could be the snake oil in the interconnects. As Hi-amphibian said we don't know how much is going digital. However, when I tried a much higher end cd player on the analogues it was a day and night difference".
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1682 of 367612/9/12 at 9:23ampost #1683 of 367612/9/12 at 9:49ampost #1684 of 367612/9/12 at 10:09amIt's our local AV forum. Just click on the link and read the posts ... at your peril.. ; - ) Every now and then we get an audiofool. If you are up to the challenge why not sign up and set these people straight?
Edited by Yahzi - 12/9/12 at 10:21ampost #1685 of 367612/9/12 at 11:00ampost #1686 of 367612/9/12 at 11:15ampost #1687 of 367612/9/12 at 1:12pmQuote:
In my experience, they find ways to dismiss such interventions. Until they start to seek out and think critically for themselves it's an uphill battle to fight fiction with fact.
That's not to say that it is not still valuable to put facts out there. It is. But to expect a tiger to change its stripes just because an outside came in and proved them wrong, is unreasonable.post #1688 of 367612/9/12 at 1:15pmpost #1689 of 367612/9/12 at 3:51pmQuote:
It suggests that some analog input signals are then digitized internally by an ADC possibly for digital signal processing (Dolby, THX).post #1690 of 367612/9/12 at 5:14pmI would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!post #1691 of 367612/9/12 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by scootsit
I would like to broach the one major audiophile myth that I agree with. I have been questioned about it before, and seldom have a not intangible, visceral, or nostalgic answer. Why do I love records so much more than digital media? And why do I prefer CDs to even flac files? I feel like a hypocrite, but nothing is going to change my mind!
Handling the media is priming you to listen, and there may be favorable associations with past experiences? I'm no psychologist.post #1692 of 367612/9/12 at 5:37pmpost #1693 of 367612/10/12 at 5:20amGuys, take a look at this cable "test" from the forums."Another week, another test.
One perticilurly good recording, with elements or bass, mids and airy highs.
(a) Van Den hul Silver TC
(b) Kimber KCAG
(c) The R4.95 RCA
as reference. Siltech SQ88
Please note that even at 1500 euro for most expensive one here, this is NOT high end cable - more medium level.
Two victims, one audiophile the other never been exposed to high end hifi and a videophile.
I played same song with each of the cable, asked each person to say
1) DID they hear a difference ?
2) Which sounded best and worst
I repeated the test 15 times, swapping cables at random, twice not swapping
I didnr have KPGM to verify the results BUT this is what I found
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
(a) and (b) was felt almost to close to call BUT even with that slight difference
(a) was picked by BOTH people 5/7 times to be the best and nicest sounding (b) 2 times and the rest undecided..
The BAD news ?
The RCA sounded too good to be in there! It should have been bad bad
Comparing the VanDen Hul with a Siltech SQ88 (1500 euro) made almost no difference... no conclusive decision could be made if the sound changed or not.... to all the listeners it "sounded the same"
That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
But DAMMIT I should not have bought the expensive Siltechs Albeit at 75% discount. If I paid the full R20k I would have been pulling my hair out.
Now for speaker cables "post #1694 of 367612/10/12 at 7:11amQuote:
Which recording, what was the entire playback chain?Quote:
I had (c) in the test 5 times:
I had (b) in the system 7 times and (c) 3 times
So what is it, 5 or 3 times? What about a?Quote:The RCA (c) was identified 5/5 times AND but only 4/5 times considered the worst by both listeners.
5/5 still has a 3.1% probability of guessing and 4/5 of 18.8%.
You should have done (at least) 10 trials per cable and identified the cable 9 times.Quote:That concludes my experiment on interconnects. I am happy I COULD hear differences. I COULD 100% identify the RCA
Not really.post #1695 of 367612/10/12 at 7:32amQuote:
It is a quote from another forum, the test was not done by Yahzi.
It is not always easy to make a test like this fully blind, by the way, there are often subconscious cues that allow the listeners to find out what cable is being used.
Edited by stv014 - 12/10/12 at 8:43am
- Testing audiophile claims and myths
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › USB DAC/ADC - Is there a holy grail at $500 or under? 21 seconds ago
- › JVC FX850, Earsonics SM64v2, Fidue A83 1 minute ago
- › Please help a noob, ..Cords for schiit 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › New Android phone (+compatible DAC/Amp - if required) - $735/€600 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 4 minutes ago
- › Headphone Recommendation required with Chord HUGO Dac 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)