@ KLS, yeah I just did a test checkout, shipping is 30 euro, so the SM3 + shipping would bring it close to $450 AUD.
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement tips for ATH-CK10? Last post on 6/14/11 at 9:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Phiaton 200 or Audio Technica ATHCK7? Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Tips for AT CK10's Last post on 1/30/13 at 6:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good bang for buck IEMs Last post on 3/25/11 at 9:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- In ear for biking and gym Last post on 3/15/11 at 12:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
IEMs to complement or replace CK7 - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
If you are coming from AD700 (bright sounding) to SM3 (warm sounding), I think you will need some time to get accustomed to SM3 sound signature. If you really love sparkly and good energy treble, SM3 isn't going to please you. However, the smooth and laid back sound siganture might be a good complement to your AD700.
For me, I was spending most of my time with CK10 when my pair of SM3 arrived. Out of the box, I was so disappointed because SM3 sounded muddy, and has no treble at all, compared to my CK10 side by side...Some say burn in help improving their sound, for my case I think it is my brain which burned in, and I am fully adapted to their sound signature, and is loving them now.
There are more head-fiers getting SM3. If I were you, I'd wait for more reviews and impressions. $450 AUD is not a small sum I know.
Edited by KLS - 5/6/10 at 2:03pm
While the AD700 are characteristically bright sounding, I do prefer them over my CK7, as they are also warmer; so you could say I might get accustomed to SM3 quite quickly.
That said; KLS - I would assume the SM3 highs are controlled and much smoother than the sharp and crisp highs of the CK7?
Hmmm. I'm definitely going to wait around for more reviews and impressions; given the excitement around SM3 and Fischer-Audio at the moment.
I have yet to try CK7, but the highs on SM3 is more laid back, and not as much treble energy compared to CK10. For my case, a shallow insertion brings out more treble from SM3, but yet not as detailed compared to CK10.
Serious-basshead won't like CK10. Serious-treblehead won't like SM3. If you get what I mean
By the way I still think that CK10 suits you better.
Edited by KLS - 5/6/10 at 2:38pm
Ah, I'm not a serious basshead or a serious treblehead - but I guess the CK10 would suit me a little better; ergonomically.
KLS, how much should a pair of CK10 go for nowadays, I'm seeing prices of 200-300 USD?
You should be able to get one brand new for less than USD 220.
By the way, @rawrster here tried AD700 and have the CK10
Okay, I did a little comparison (again) with the CK7 and AD700 with "The Beatles - Yesterday" in flac through my D2+.
The AD700 clearly wins as the sound signature is naturally presented whereas a mids bump is clearly discernable on the CK7. The acoustic guitar in the background is much more strongly accented with the CK7, but the AD700 wins over by presenting the same level of detail, but with less "forced/coloured" twang to the sound of the strings (the twang reverb can be heard, but it's smoother and isn't as sharp), which can become a little distracting. Obviously, an open dynamic 'phone is definitely much more airy than my CK7 - so if the CK10 can offer similar presentation, I would be glad to try and look for a pair.
I just listened to 'The Beatles-Yesterday' on Youtube. Yes Youtube not FLAC
I don't feel the 'forced/coloured' twang to the sound of the strings.
Quoted from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary
CK10 has an airy presentation, however to me, though the above description fits for CK10, I don't feel as much 'flowing air' if I compared to IEMs like SM3 or IE8. Maybe this is a difference between warm and cold sounding. Don't get me wrong here, what I mean is CK10 has good soundstage, great instrument separation, and is a little north of neutral (slightly to the cold side), but I feel that there is more air 'flowing' in SM3 and IE8.
Edited by KLS - 5/7/10 at 7:10am
Hmm. I the 'forced' twang I hear must be connected to the bass response of my CK7. The guitar sounds gentler on AD700, whereas CK7, it's much sharper and much more pronounced. Perhaps the distance of the AD700 drivers compared to the in-ear insertion of the CK7 which produced sound that was closer; thus seemingly louder.
On the other hand, I would imagine the airiness/soundstage of the CK10 would be like a regular sized room...whereas the CK7 would be likened to a small cardboard box; and the SM3..a large sized hall?
For your reference:
- Post #2: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485632/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-review-thread-aka-the-most-affordable-high-priced-universal-iem/0
- Post #449: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476315/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-frequency-response-charts-discussion-first-post-updated-often/435
In my opinion, CK10 has a big soundstage too, just not as big as SM3's. I don't suffer from any 'choking' experience with both of them.
I guess it's been a while since I last replied, but since you own the CK10, KLS - what sort of cord adjuster does it use? I really am not fond of the plastic tube the CK7 uses as the cables end up getting twisted inside.
What @rewrster said :) It's a plastic tube which measures around 2.5cm. Even if the cable get twisted inside I think you can fix them easily.
@1audioz, haven't made up your mind?
I think I've made up my mind, I've just got to order it (CK10) now.
$229 from Amazon + $30 shipping (I like my Courier =] ) - good deal? Seems better than any Australian reseller or eBay for that matter.
Do CK10 improve noticeably with an amp?
Edited by 1audioz - 5/15/10 at 5:02am
- IEMs to complement or replace CK7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Earbuds Round-Up 8 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 9 seconds ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 2 minutes ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 3 minutes ago
- › Why are masters so different? 3 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?! 5 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 6 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...