Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock - Page 37

post #541 of 659
Thread Starter 

I prefer "Underture" from the album "Tommy"...

post #542 of 659

I started off with a cheap compilation and then got "Strangers in the Night" because it was cited as one of the great live albums. Oddly, I didn't really like it that much and quite prefer the studio versions. I'm not really that familiar with UFO, but in my mind they work well as a tight hard rock outfit and the studio versions are more effective because they are compact, thus more cogent than the more meandering live versions. Maybe I should get a few of their proper studio albums to discover what their real sound is like :)

 

Got my hands on Graeme Edge Band's Kick Off Your Muddy Boots a few days ago, but need to give it a few more spins to decide whether I like it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

Currently listening to The Who's "Who's Next". For UFO I went with the album "Strangers In The Night".

post #543 of 659

Really don't think live albums are a good idea unless you know the songs and band what can make a live song great is lost if you don't know the song.

Strangers In The Night is one those maybe just way too over recommended albums since people are saying get it before the studio albums.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #544 of 659

Agree with you.

 

I do know some of the hits like Doctor Doctor, Only You Can Rock Me, etc, and I seem to prefer the studio versions - I just don't feel the live performances add much to them. I do feel, on the other hand, that because I don't have any of their proper albums, I might be missing some of the good album cuts. I often seem to prefer album tracks to the hits but the UFO compilation so dirt cheap, so I thought it was a good place to start.

 

Edit : now that we discussing "Strangers in the Night" I have the urge to give it a spin :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibutenma View Post

Really don't think live albums are a good idea unless you know the songs and band what can make a live song great is lost if you don't know the song.

Strangers In The Night is one those maybe just way too over recommended albums since people are saying get it before the studio albums.

 

post #545 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubei View Post

Agree with you.

 

I do know some of the hits like Doctor Doctor, Only You Can Rock Me, etc, and I seem to prefer the studio versions - I just don't feel the live performances add much to them. I do feel, on the other hand, that because I don't have any of their proper albums, I might be missing some of the good album cuts. I often seem to prefer album tracks to the hits but the UFO compilation so dirt cheap, so I thought it was a good place to start.

 

Edit : now that we discussing "Strangers in the Night" I have the urge to give it a spin :)

 

 

 


I'm the same way I really dig actual albums songs a lot more than what would be on a live album or best of album.

Here is some good UFO songs to check out. Only the High Flyer track is on any best of I know of.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2-C7SGAmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsldmESO-ME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxxsev-5gME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f23effhhVto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHG_iDeWeug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwWMlYxK0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18uA839uiA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZydRM18MSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDBz-9kl9RQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUOTevj23E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pi4Y1iCUuI


 

post #546 of 659
Thread Starter 

If UFO was as good as is written, especially live I will add a few albums. The riff on "Natural Thing" is unexpectedly heavy but so good... (Youtube!)

 

P.S. Next stop Golden Earring, check this old live version of "Radar Love":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6DFOMwv7l8&feature=related

 

Wednesday update: "Strangers In The Night" is good, really good. Maybe "Force It" and "No Heavy Petting" will be added later. 


Edited by Deep Funk - 1/18/11 at 4:00pm
post #547 of 659

That's good that you liked the UFO live album.

 

I'm not even really sure which UFO album I would consider better out of Force It and No Heavy Petting.

 

The first Schenker era Phenomenon,Force It,No Heavy Petting,Lights Out, and Obsession are the only albums some people even bother with.

Although other eras have good albums too like the album Mechanix is really great.

UFO is one of those groups they got a lot of albums (20 Studio albums) if a person is enjoying them after a few then go ahead and grab another or two.

But after that it probably comes do to... How much do you like them? And do you want more?

Although that is probably considered true for all bands with a big catalog.

 

 

 

post #548 of 659

Yeah, Natural Thing is real good. Shall add No Heavy Petting to my wish list!

post #549 of 659
Thread Starter 

Mibutenma, as much as I love listening to music I have a life to live. I only have so much time and that is it. Add to that the moments I just want silence or listening to music is not possible for whatever reason and my limited window of opportunities presents its self. I prefer to enjoy my music slowly. Liking the music is one aspect, making time to really listen to the music is more important in my opinion. 

 

Today I rediscovered "Moving Pictures" because I just had to listen to something good and inspiring after a day running around and being busy. I recently put a stop to buying new music because I have a number of albums that I have not yet given a good listen.  

post #550 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

 

Today I rediscovered "Moving Pictures" because I just had to listen to something good and inspiring after a day running around and being busy. I recently put a stop to buying new music because I have a number of albums that I have not yet given a good listen.  



Ow that's such a great album, ow man, they're going to play the complete record in may in Ahoy, I will be there!

post #551 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post
I recently put a stop to buying new music because I have a number of albums that I have not yet given a good listen.  


We've all been there. My thrift store vinyl haul this afternoon netted 20 albums, from Klaus Doldinger's Passport to Elgar to the Allman Brothers, and I wonder when I'm going to find time to clean them all, much less listen to them critically.

 

Anyway, it's definitely nice to periodically take a break from collecting and just rediscover what you've enjoyed in the past.

post #552 of 659
Thread Starter 

Indeed Proglover, did you check out King Crimson?

post #553 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

Indeed Proglover, did you check out King Crimson?



 no going to but as you say, there's so much to do, so much to listen and too little time for it

I have a discography at my harddisc, so it will be soon.

 

But hey, it's weekend:)

Probably tomorrow

post #554 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

Indeed Proglover, did you check out King Crimson?



I listened 2 times to the Crimson record completely, also scanned a bit on the Red record. I'm not very impressed, don't think this is my cup of prog.tea. We'll try it a few more times, you can't always judge a prog.record after 2 listening sessions

post #555 of 659
Thread Starter 

Which album? Sometimes you have to give an album a second chance. I know I was not impressed with Rush in the beginning but when you start noticing the finer details a world opens up.

 

Thing is with King Crimson, if you expect 'Progressive Rock' the approach of King Crimson is also very Jazz and Classically influenced. The name 'Progressive Rock' is actually quite misguiding...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock