Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock - Page 30

post #436 of 659

I've mentioned this somewhere in this thread (I think) that I prefer Powerslave or even Seventh Son to the Number of the Beast. Powerslave basically has no weak tracks and is real fun to listen to.

 

Lately, I've managed to get my hands on a few more Uriah Heep albums. And Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery, which I'm liking quite a bit more than either Tarkus or Picture at an Exhibition. I think it has to do with less blues inflections, which makes Brain Salad Surgery sound more metallic perhaps.

post #437 of 659

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei View Post

Lately, I've managed to get my hands on a few more Uriah Heep albums.


Which ones?

 

post #438 of 659

These three :


Look At Yourself

The Magician's Birthday

Sweet Freedom

 

Think I like Look At Yourself a little bit more at this moment, but I think I need to give them a couple more spins first

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibutenma View Post

Quote:


Which ones?

 

post #439 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubei View Post

These three :


Look At Yourself

The Magician's Birthday

Sweet Freedom

 

Think I like Look At Yourself a little bit more at this moment, but I think I need to give them a couple more spins first

 


 


Look At Yourself is one of the best Uriah Heep albums.

Magicians Birthday is also very good. The song Tales is really great.

Sweet Freedom along with Demons & Wizards I would say are my least favorite of the David Byron era (first 9 albums with the 1st singer)

 

 

 

post #440 of 659

Anyone a Haunted Shores fan here? The new song Scarlet is heavy, catchy, and epic without being cheesy, haha. http://www.myspace.com/hauntedshores

post #441 of 659
Thread Starter 

I gave Iron Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" a listen. I prefer "Powerslave" if only for "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)". "The Number Of The Beast" is also very consistent and sounds slightly more experimental. I especially liked "The Prisoner" for its intro although "Hallowed Be Thy Name" also has its moments. 

 

I listened to the 1998 digital remasters via my AKG K240 DF connected to my CD690. 

post #442 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

I gave Iron Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" a listen. I prefer "Powerslave" if only for "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)". "The Number Of The Beast" is also very consistent and sounds slightly more experimental.

 


I would say more variety not really experimental to me. Powerslave a lot of the songs sound very similar not much variety.Number Of The Beast for the first 7 albums (which some people only consider) I think it the worst/least best of them.

But Number of the Beast does have one of my favorite Maiden songs ever with 22 Acacia Avenue

Now with some more Maiden you going to listen to Seventh Son Of Seventh Son again?

That's my favorite Maiden behind the X Factor.

 

Iron Maiden studio albums ranked

 

1.The X Factor

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

3-15.......

post #443 of 659
Thread Starter 

I should first buy "Piece Of Mind" and maybe their début album. Besides I still want to get into Focus, The Nice and Procol Harum so I have to set priorities. If I really get lost in the options I will go for King Crimson's "Lark's Tongues In Aspic" because I still have to try that album. 

 

One thing is for sure, for the moment I like Iron Maiden more than Dream Theater which I did not expect although I still have a problem with Dream Theater's 'pop sounding' vocalist. 

post #444 of 659

I'm not a great big Dream Theater fan myself ... can see they are technically proficient, but too "power metal" sounding for my taste.

 

Haven't heard any Focus, not particularly keen on what I have heard of The Nice, and like the only Procol Harum album I have, which would be A Salty Dog.

 

Iron Maiden - I actually do like their 1st two albums, which have a bit more punk attitude ... for me, Phantom Of The Opera is a must own track, as I grew up watching Daley Thompson in that Lucozade ad! But I think for most, the 80s albums with Bruce Dickinson are the classic ones to own.

 

I recently got hold of Larks Tongue In Aspic and found it much easier to like that Starless And Bible Black; in fact, after listening to Larks Tongue, I went back to Starless And Bible Black and appreciated it a whole lot more. Now, I am thinking of getting Discipline, Red and some of the live performances, maybe The Night Watch disc.

 

Damn, too many things I want to buy, but don't have enough $$. SUCKS.

post #445 of 659
Thread Starter 

On the instrumental side Dream Theater is awesome although sometimes repetitiveness sneaks in and they really are pushing their limits. For the harder tracks the vocalist - in my opinion - just lacks the vocal presence and conviction. 

 

Regarding King Crimson, I recommend "Red" for it is really something different. For me there is a disturbing quality in its sound that intrigues me more than the début album. Just know that the début album is just as good considering it was released in 1969.

post #446 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post

I should first buy "Piece Of Mind" and maybe their début album.

 

One thing is for sure, for the moment I like Iron Maiden more than Dream Theater which I did not expect although I still have a problem with Dream Theater's 'pop sounding' vocalist. 


Piece Of Mind is good so is the debut I really,really like Iron Maiden and Killers the first 2 albums.

Somewhere In Time might also be worth considering.

Although not having a ton of fans or popular I also quite like the Fear of the Dark album.

And of course as always The X Factor the best Maiden album to me.

 

 

Really Iron Maiden isn't comparable to Dream Theater to me.

 

Usually its something like

Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest

Iron Maiden vs Saxon

Iron Maiden vs Helloween

something like that.


Edited by mibutenma - 9/22/10 at 11:32pm
post #447 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubei View Post

I'm not a great big Dream Theater fan myself ... can see they are technically proficient, but too "power metal" sounding for my taste.


 

 for me, Phantom Of The Opera is a must own track,

 

 


Power Metal? They don't have a drop of power metal sound in them.

Dream Theater is more like Alternative,radio friendly,progressive rock,nu metal,and Fates Warning wannabes is how I'd describe their sound.

 

Phantom Of The Opera is a top 5 Maiden song for me.

Wish a better official live version was released or rerecorded version something.

Maiden is EXTREMELY disappointing in what they play live. How many times does a crappy song like Run to the Hills and Can I Play With Madness need to be played?

And songs that have very little replay value like Iron Maiden,2 Minutes To Midnight,Number Of The Beast,Sanctuary,The Trooper need to be played?

Just 1 live version of Phantom Of The Opera released .....


Edited by mibutenma - 9/23/10 at 12:36am
post #448 of 659

Yeah, I know Dream Theater isn't considered a power metal band. Anyway, the metal sub-genres confuse me quite a bit  - what I meant was Dream Theater for me has that upbeat sound that I seem to associate with power metal. I generally seem to prefer my metal darker and more sinister sounding ... I know many rate Dream Theater very highly, but I think it is not my cup of tea.

 

but back to Maiden. I haven't heard alot of their stuff post Seventh Son. Only have The Final Frontier and the previous album. Maybe I should give The X Factor a shot then since you rate it so highly .
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibutenma View Post
Power Metal? They don't have a drop of power metal sound in them.

Dream Theater is more like Alternative,radio friendly,progressive rock,nu metal,and Fates Warning wannabes is how I'd describe their sound.

 

Phantom Of The Opera is a top 5 Maiden song for me.

Wish a better official live version was released or rerecorded version something.

Maiden is EXTREMELY disappointing in what they play live. How many times does a crappy song like Run to the Hills and Can I Play With Madness need to be played?

And songs that have very little replay value like Iron Maiden,2 Minutes To Midnight,Number Of The Beast,Sanctuary,The Trooper need to be played?

Just 1 live version of Phantom Of The Opera released .....

post #449 of 659

Like them or not, Dream Theater is Prog Metal, period.  I am mixed on them - love some stuff, so-so on others.  They just disbanded, too.

post #450 of 659


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Like them or not, Dream Theater is Prog Metal, period.  I am mixed on them - love some stuff, so-so on others.  They just disbanded, too.


I thought it was just the drummer Mike Portnoy who left.

Suppose to have a new album coming out next year.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock