Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first... - Page 6  

post #76 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
@ average_joe

I noticed that you are selling almost all your iem's! due to the EarSonics
That is what I call being convinced! Im glad Im not alone in this planet....
Hi GuyDebord,

You are the one who brought Earsonics into my audio life (through your EM3Pro vs JH13 thread)
post #77 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
I agree there with some brain burn in, but not that your brain will completely change the sound signature of an IEM (from overly warm and source dependent to amazingly balanced). And how much brain burn in could someone's brain have if they listened for 5-10 minutes a week ago and again yesterday, as happened with my coworker?

Well, if he only listened for 5-10 minutes a week ago (a couple of tracks?) I'm not sure he could be that precise about how they sounded a week later. Did you say you'd burned them in for 200 hours before he listened again? There aren't even 200 hours in a week, not in my week anyway

I know you've been a big advocate of long burn-in times (700 hours+ for the dynamic-driver IE8?) but I still don't believe BA's need hundreds of hours to reach their final sound signature, mainly because I've never experienced a BA phone having one sound on the first day, and then a totally different sound signature a week later, and I've had quite a few BA's.

Also, one of your posts pulled up quotes about the EM3 Pro. Are they the customs version that cost 460 Euros more than the SM3? Does that mean your agreement with those reviews makes buying the customs version virtually pointless if you're hearing exactly the same thing with the universal model? I always thought customs were supposed to be a pretty big step up from universals, but your impressions suggest otherwise.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to james and eric's impressions as usual
 


Edited by soozieq - 5/6/10 at 1:14am
post #78 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
Also, one of your posts pulled up quotes about the EM3 Pro. Are they the customs version that cost 460 Euros more than the SM3? Does that mean your agreement with those reviews makes buying the customs version virtually pointless if you're hearing exactly the same thing with the universal model? I always thought customs were supposed to be a pretty big step up from universals, but your impressions suggest otherwise.
The Em3pro's are a different animal, starting from the drivers and crossover points, the SM3's are 3 way-3 drivers and the EM3pros are 2 way-3-drivers.
Here are the specs of the two side by side:

SM3:
Sensibilité: 122 dB/mW
Réponse en fréquences: 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 17 ohms
Driver: 3 drivers (3 way crossover)

EM3pro
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 23 ohms
Driver: triple balanced armature drivers (dual bass, 1 high), 2 way crossover.

The configuration and assemblage of each armature driver in the EM3pro is supposed to be more sophisticated and the same goes for the crossover, not two mention the dual bore of the EM3pro vs the SM3.

I had the SM2dlx and when I had them I was convinced that they were the best universals I had heard, but the EM3pro were in another dimension. Im sure that the SM3 have narrowed the gap between them, I am even tempted to try them, If I do, I will get the custom molded ear-tips, which if I think are a must with this quality of IEM's.
post #79 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
The Em3pro's are a different animal, starting from the drivers and crossover points, the SM3's are 3 way-3 drivers and the EM3pros are 2 way-3-drivers.
Here are the specs of the two side by side:

SM3:
Sensibilité: 122 dB/mW
Réponse en fréquences: 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 17 ohms
Driver: 3 drivers (3 way crossover)

EM3pro
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 23 ohms
Driver: triple balanced armature drivers (dual bass, 1 high), 2 way crossover.
Thanks GuyDebord for the info.

The specs look pretty different to my untrained 'spec' eye

But from what I've read of joe's review, he hears the SM3 the same way as others hear the EM3 pro. There's a lot of money to be saved if that's the case.
post #80 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
The Em3pro's are a different animal, starting from the drivers and crossover points, the SM3's are 3 way-3 drivers and the EM3pros are 2 way-3-drivers.
Here are the specs of the two side by side:

SM3:
Sensibilité: 122 dB/mW
Réponse en fréquences: 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 17 ohms
Driver: 3 drivers (3 way crossover)

EM3pro
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 23 ohms
Driver: triple balanced armature drivers (dual bass, 1 high), 2 way crossover.
Thanks GuyDebord for the info.

The specs look pretty different to my untrained 'spec' eye

But from what I've read of joe's review, he hears the SM3 the same way as others hear the EM3 pro. There's a lot of money to be saved if that's the case.


I'm pretty sure that he meant that they have the exact same sound signature and sound characteristics, with only variations in magnitude, ie the EM3-pro soundstage is a bit more 3D, or they have more details, but always with the same sound signature (liquid, etc.). My SM2 can already be described in the same way GuyDebord described his EM3-pro, but they're certainly not at the same level of performance.

 

Earsonics IEMs tend to all share the same sound signature with only minor differences, but they have, however, major performances differences. The SM3 has been described as an SM2 with every single aspect of the sound at the very least least a bit better if not much better. But they'll still be liquid, warm, etc.

post #81 of 2831
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
I agree there with some brain burn in, but not that your brain will completely change the sound signature of an IEM (from overly warm and source dependent to amazingly balanced). And how much brain burn in could someone's brain have if they listened for 5-10 minutes a week ago and again yesterday, as happened with my coworker?

Well, if he only listened for 5-10 minutes a week ago (a couple of tracks?) I'm not sure he could be that precise about how they sounded a week later. Did you say you'd burned them in for 200 hours before he listened again? There aren't even 200 hours in a week, not in my week anyway

I know you've been a big advocate of long burn-in times (700 hours+ for the dynamic-driver IE8?) but I still don't believe BA's need hundreds of hours to reach their final sound signature, mainly because I've never experienced a BA phone having one sound on the first day, and then a totally different sound signature a week later, and I've had quite a few BA's.

Also, one of your posts pulled up quotes about the EM3 Pro. Are they the customs version that cost 460 Euros more than the SM3? Does that mean your agreement with those reviews makes buying the customs version virtually pointless if you're hearing exactly the same thing with the universal model? I always thought customs were supposed to be a pretty big step up from universals, but your impressions suggest otherwise.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to james and eric's impressions as usual
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq

But from what I've read of joe's review, he hears the SM3 the same way as others hear the EM3 pro. There's a lot of money to be saved if that's the case.

 

 

Wow, head-fi must have been really acting up before the change because you are responding to my posts from the top-tier thread! 

 

My buddy knows his stuff and can tell.  He has very good ears, and has test tracks.  Plus, I am not alone in saying BA IEMs have improved with time.  And sorry if I rounded my numbers...how about this...195.5 hours of burn in over 9.25 days (a little over a week).  Does that work for ya ;)

 

Whoa, I said dynamics need 700 hours of burn in...I must have been sleep typing, please find that quote!  For me, somewhere around 160 hours is where they really started to turn bring out their fine points.  Again, I am not alone in this and some other well respected members have the same conclusion.  I did note that I thought they changed slightly up to maybe 400 hours, but not all that much after 250 hours.  But that is the IE8, this is the SM3, and I have not kept track like I did back then with the IE8.  All I know is I am not hearing what I was at first.

 

How did you come to your conclusion that because how GuyDebord described the soundstage is what I too was hearing in terms of the way it is presented means the SM3 is as good as the EM3Pro?  And the SM3 is the first universal IEM I have heard that reminds me of the UE11 universal (for auditioning) that I heard.  Basically, the soundstage/presentation of the SM3 is not like any of the other, now a step below, top-tier universal IEMs.  Seems like it is the EarSonics house sound, way to go EarSonics!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
Also, one of your posts pulled up quotes about the EM3 Pro. Are they the customs version that cost 460 Euros more than the SM3? Does that mean your agreement with those reviews makes buying the customs version virtually pointless if you're hearing exactly the same thing with the universal model? I always thought customs were supposed to be a pretty big step up from universals, but your impressions suggest otherwise.
The Em3pro's are a different animal, starting from the drivers and crossover points, the SM3's are 3 way-3 drivers and the EM3pros are 2 way-3-drivers.
Here are the specs of the two side by side:

SM3:
Sensibilité: 122 dB/mW
Réponse en fréquences: 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 17 ohms
Driver: 3 drivers (3 way crossover)

EM3pro
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 23 ohms
Driver: triple balanced armature drivers (dual bass, 1 high), 2 way crossover.

The configuration and assemblage of each armature driver in the EM3pro is supposed to be more sophisticated and the same goes for the crossover, not two mention the dual bore of the EM3pro vs the SM3.

I had the SM2dlx and when I had them I was convinced that they were the best universals I had heard, but the EM3pro were in another dimension. Im sure that the SM3 have narrowed the gap between them, I am even tempted to try them, If I do, I will get the custom molded ear-tips, which if I think are a must with this quality of IEM's.


Wow, this really makes me want the EM3Pro, even though I am very very happy with the SM3.  Although my next step may be just to get custom sleeves.  Thank you for all your input!  Someone has to blaze the trail, you have done a great job!
 

post #82 of 2831

Hey average_Joe, what kind of tips on SM3 give you the best sound? or does it not depend on the type of tips used?

post #83 of 2831

^^ earphones of any type will change their sound depending on what tips are supplied. Dynamic earphones move more air and therefore may have more change depending on how much earphone tips block the sound tubes. The SM3 is no different, but on a different scale, more laid back. I need to purchase a few more tips, but I keep going back to the Comply if only for comfort. 

post #84 of 2831

@shigzeo, what others tips you have tried with SM3?

post #85 of 2831
Thread Starter 

Yes, the SM3 is tip dependent.  I think the deeper insertion tips extend the space and make the SM3 more dynamic.  I can imagine that it will sound it's best with custom sleeves, and I will get some in the near future.  In the mean time, the tips I keep going back to are triple flange over olives (shigzeo, you want me to send you some?).  I ordered these to try with the SM3, and they should be here this week:

 

1334.jpg  1140.jpg  963.jpg

post #86 of 2831

Joe - Sure, send some to me - let's deal!

post #87 of 2831

Can I ask if the SM3's would suit someone with narrow(ish) ear canals? I prefer to have a somewhat deeper fit too, so that the IEMs stay put without me having to loop the cable back over my ear (which I really dislike) I'm just slightly concerned that a multi-driver design is going to heavier and more bulky than would suit me.

post #88 of 2831

Their narrow sound tube allows for very small foams (which can compress more tightly than any silicon flange) for narrow canals. I've been told that I have narrow canals and these fit fine. I use the smallest tips from many companies, but with foam pieces, I can size up one or trim down for excellent fit. 

 

I found the Shure grey flanges to work very well with the SM3.

post #89 of 2831

Thanks shigzeo. I wasn't aware of Earsonics until I saw the enthusiastic response here, and as I'm in the UK buying from France is easy. That makes them an interesting choice.


Edited by IanM - 5/6/10 at 1:40pm
post #90 of 2831

Well, I was lucky enough to find them last year and enjoyed the SM2. Call me an addict, but I have the SM3 and EM3Pro now... Their house sound, while not exciting, is great. And since last year, they have tweaked their monitors to run very well from pretty much any reasonably well-implemented SoC's and HPO. My old iPods and Cowons aren't very good with the ES earphones, but my Sony A828, iPod touch 2G, Sansa Fuze V2 and Clip V2 all work very well with the SM3 and EM3Pro - an amp improves a few things (if the amp is worth its weight in salt), but not all amps can really drive earphones well. 

 

I am fully happy with my iPod touch 2G and/or a Clip and that is it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)