Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first... - Page 179  

post #2671 of 2831

My only problem with you is you need to take an extreme position (the DBAs can't touch the SM3s), which is fair enough, but then when someone questions you on it, you then backpedal and say they are decent, even good IEMs. Which way is it? Okay, so it's your two cents, but even though I didn't care as much for the SM3 as you and others do, I didn't need to trash it, even in my opinion, by saying it could not compete with the DBAs, which I prefer. From the start, I just noted why I favored one over the other, no need to disparage anyone else's POV on the SM3s or DBAs.

 

You make statements, obviously over the top, then you want to disengage yourself from them when you get someone calling you on it. If anyone is over-dramatic, it's you with your statements, opinion or otherwise. I am glad your opinions are very subjective (no need to shout), which is sort of funny in itself.  Acting disjointed? That's an interesting take, for sure.

 

Who said anything about the king of universals, anyway?

 

Actually, I did have you on my ignore list because your views, in my opinion, pretty much amount to a lot of babble but not much substance or value. But for some reason, I hit the "show" button. Prurient interest? Not sure. My mistake, believe me. Back to the ignore list you go.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Slaters70 what is your problem? You seem to always have a problem with me and what I type. The first three words>>> "My two cents..." That equals my opinion. You've never seen me say an IEM was great or terrible that I didn't personally own and/or hear. And I always make sure I convey it as my opinion. I have never purported to have the end all opinion and last word on IEMs. All I can go on is my feelings, and that is all that I do go on. MY OPINIONS ARE VERY SUBJECTIVE!! I have never said that rawrster, joker, LFF or even you were wrong in your opinions. So the only conclusion I can reach is that you are full drama, slaters70. And this b.s. about chastising the "guardians of the SM3," you're acting a little disjointed to me dude. I said that I didn't believe SM3 was king (before I heard it), because I didn't believe in one king in universals. My opinion. I didn't say the SM3 wasn't great as everyone was reporting.Then guess what? I got the SM3, have had it for a while now, think it's great also, but STILL DON'T SEE IT AS KING OF THE UNIVERSALS. So, I'm being negative? I'm chastising the "gaurdians of the SM3"? And there are IEM snobs here. You may just as well be one of them the way you carry on. 

 

Look, I don't tell anyone that my word is head-fi gospel. A lot of people as me questions in public about my experiences with various IEM - since I've owned so many - and I give it. A lot of people pm me with questions. I try to answer them all,  but most will tell you that I always end my opinion with>> "whatever I like or don't like, it really depends on your sound sig. preference and you have to hear these IEMs for yourself." So slaters70, quit being a drama queen, or save this confrontation for someone else. I will continue to give my opinion, and if you don't like it, please block me so that you can't read my font. You are one of the few troublemakers I see in this forum. You have some nerve trying to take me to task over MY OPINIONS. As long as I'm not being rude or bullying anyone (as you like to try to do) I have the right and will continue to state my opinion, regardless of whether it's to your liking. You might as well not type anything else to me, because I'm not changing. I don't need to change. 
 


 

Edited by slaters70 - 7/27/10 at 7:27am
post #2672 of 2831

 I haven't backpaddled on anything, so now I see you can't read, or haven't read all of my posts on the DBA. I even state that I will compare the DBA with the SM3 in more detail, and with the SM2 (which I think would be a fairer comparison) once I receive them - hopefully this week. But I spent too much time indulging you. Frankly, I don't care what you think I have said or didn't say. Please find your way back to the ignore button as far as my name is concerned sir. I will  fight hard to hold back tears and try not to miss you slaters70. We both know this will probably be the toughest thing I had to do in head-fi.org. LOL ... By the way: Happy listening buddy @ slaters70.  Now go and hit that ignore button before I change my mind and beg you to stay....lmao. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaters70 View Post

My only problem with you is you need to take an extreme position (the DBAs can't touch the SM3s), which is fair enough, but then when someone questions you on it, you then backpedal and say they are decent, even good IEMs. Which way is it? Okay, so it's your two cents, but even though I didn't care as much for the SM3 as you and others do, I didn't need to trash it, even in my opinion, but saying it could not compete with the DBAs, which I prefer. From the start, I just noted why I favored one over the other, no need to disparage anyone else's POV on the SM3s.

 

You make statements, obviously over the top, then you want to disengage yourself from them when you get someone calling you on it. If anyone is over-dramatic, it's you with your statements, opinion or otherwise. I am glad your opinions are very subjective (no need to shout), which is sort of funny in itself.  Acting disjointed? That's an interesting take, for sure.

 

Who said anything about the king of universals, anyway?

 

Actually, I did have you on my ignore list because your views, in my opinion, pretty much amount to a lot of babble but not much substance or value. But for some reason, I hit the "show" button. Prurient interest? Not sure. My mistake, believe me. Back to the ignore list you go.
 


 
post #2673 of 2831

Can't read your post. On ignore list. Time to move on.

post #2674 of 2831

Is this really necessary?

In my opinion, does it really matter if the DBA equals the SM3 or not? It's half the price. Should it be expected to? I think not. If it gets close for some, then that's great. If it's not your cup of tea, it's simply not your cup of tea. Some IEMs I've heard and did not like are what others might love, and if you're a dynamic person, the DBA isn't very dynamic sounding. It's understandable for it to not be your cup of tea.

 

Besides, if everything 'WOW'ed us, life would end up pretty bland.

post #2675 of 2831

never a dull day at the SM3 thread apparently.

 

I quite agree with Ethan. There are a bunch of very good universals on the market for a reason. One can't satisfy everyone. I like my DBA02 a lot but it's not going to be suitable for everyone. I can see someone choosing the DBA02 over something else just like I can see someone choosing another earphone over the DBA02. It's personal preferences and no matter how good something may be personal preferences is more important. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people here like the W3, IE8, etc. while I don't think any less of their opinion than anyone who has something I enjoy.

 

As much as I like the DBA02 this is the SM3 appreciation thread and not the DBA02 so let's get back on topic :)

 

@eric: and here I thought the most difficult decision you ever made was giving away your SE530...

post #2676 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

never a dull day at the SM3 thread apparently.

 

I quite agree with Ethan. There are a bunch of very good universals on the market for a reason. One can't satisfy everyone. I like my DBA02 a lot but it's not going to be suitable for everyone. I can see someone choosing the DBA02 over something else just like I can see someone choosing another earphone over the DBA02. It's personal preferences and no matter how good something may be personal preferences is more important. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people here like the W3, IE8, etc. while I don't think any less of their opinion than anyone who has something I enjoy.

 

As much as I like the DBA02 this is the SM3 appreciation thread and not the DBA02 so let's get back on topic :)

 

@eric: and here I thought the most difficult decision you ever made was giving away your SE530...


Speaking of off-topic, what's you impression on the livewire customs?

PM me, if you'd like, or start a thread, but I'm interested (even if they don't quite fit, I'm sure you have a good sense of the sound).
 

post #2677 of 2831


Hello @ rawrster, buddy. No, I gave the SE530 to a buddy of mine for free. Wasn't difficult at all. The most difficult decision I made was giving up the e-Q7 for the SM3. And longed for the e-Q7 for a while after I did, although I was enjoying the SM3. Now I'm okay and don't miss the e-Q7 so much. It was also difficult selling the Miles Davis, but more for sentimental reasons than sound reasons (although I did enjoy the sound sig. quite a bit). The e-Q7's sound sig. is what I missed the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

never a dull day at the SM3 thread apparently.

 

I quite agree with Ethan. There are a bunch of very good universals on the market for a reason. One can't satisfy everyone. I like my DBA02 a lot but it's not going to be suitable for everyone. I can see someone choosing the DBA02 over something else just like I can see someone choosing another earphone over the DBA02. It's personal preferences and no matter how good something may be personal preferences is more important. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people here like the W3, IE8, etc. while I don't think any less of their opinion than anyone who has something I enjoy.

 

As much as I like the DBA02 this is the SM3 appreciation thread and not the DBA02 so let's get back on topic :)

 

@eric: and here I thought the most difficult decision you ever made was giving away your SE530...

post #2678 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


Hello @ rawrster, buddy. No, I gave the SE530 to a buddy of mine for free. Wasn't difficult at all. The most difficult decision I made was giving up the e-Q7 for the SM3. And longed for the e-Q7 for a while after I did, although I was enjoying the SM3. Now I'm okay and don't miss the e-Q7 so much. It was also difficult selling the Miles Davis, but more for sentimental reasons than sound reasons (although I did enjoy the sound sig. quite a bit). The e-Q7's sound sig. is what I missed the most.


 


Do you think the FA-BA-SS will interest you? According to James it's like a high-def version of e-Q7.

post #2679 of 2831

Why all the hatin'?

 

I haven't heard the SM3's but I enjoy reading this thread. I became a Headphoneus Supremus here, so this thread means something to me. Please don't make the moderators close it.

post #2680 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by iponderous View Post

Why all the hatin'?

 

I haven't heard the SM3's but I enjoy reading this thread. I became a Headphoneus Supremus here, so this thread means something to me. Please don't make the moderators close it.


It has been locked once...before you became the Headphoneus Supremus.

post #2681 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaters70 View Post

 

 

 

 

 in my opinion, pretty much amount to a lot of babble but not much substance or value.
 


 



this thread is full of babbling and b.s,i dont try to even skim through it.it was very useful at first when Joe was the only owner,but as more owners got the sm3,it became a babbling thread.

 

And before anyone jump at me(Rawrster,you there?) this is not a fact,this is my opinion.

post #2682 of 2831

You're quite right koonhua90. I should have remembered that as I was involved, but as you say that was prior to becoming a Headphoneus Supremus. That is what I am now and with that position comes responsibility. And I do not take it lightly. It does none of us any good to personalise matters here. Each of us has a right to express our opinions in these forum threads and that should be respected, even if we don't agree. However, I see nothing wrong with gravitating towards the views of some rather than others, and to state this publicly if one feels so inclined without fear of retribution. That's why I feel compelled to support slaters70's qualitative assessment of ericp10's posts on this occasion. Thank you in anticipation of your brickbats.


Edited by iponderous - 7/27/10 at 11:05am
post #2683 of 2831

I think everyone is just bored LOL. I have noticed a couple of threads go off the rails lately. But I think Slaters70 and Ericp10 have duked it out and now we can all disperse instead of forming a circle trying to keep the fight alive.

post #2684 of 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post




How close it the SM3? I know that from my experience dynamics and BA tend to sound different in two areas and those being bass and timbre. Is the SM3 close to dynamics in those areas or just better than what most BA driver based phones do.

 

Also I understand about the DBA-02. I feel the same way about the DDM. They may be a good value and certainly the reviews/impressions I've read confirm that but their signature sounds like it may not be for me so it may not be that great a value for myself.


Hey there-

Sorry I missed this post for a bit. I think the SM3 is similar in that it shares a very dynamic, expansive feel. However the DDM is quite a bit more extended in the bass, as it should be with a 15mm driver. But the SM3 treats the low end better than any BA I've yet heard, so I'm pretty content there. Both phones share a similar smoothness, being very mellow and non-fatiguing, while richly detailed, which is probably why I like them so much. Soundstage is also extended and airy, but the SM3's convey a bit more 3D sensation. I always find the idea of timbre, or instrument tone/character (as I think of the term when applied to audio) rather difficult to pinpoint, but do think that BA's have been rather cold/sterile in that regard from most of my experiences with them. The SM3 is the best I've heard in not possessing that characteristic, while the DDM's do it a little better still (with all of the native attributes of dynamic phones of course). 

 

The SM3 and DDM remain my two favorite phones for sure. I wish I could have kept the FX700's, but I needed to recoup some of the crazy funds I've dropped lately, and I just couldn't deal with their bite after the likes of the DDM & SM3... I don't think I could deal with the DBA at all, after reading the reports of their sound being similar to the CK10 (especially knowing soozieq's impressions of the AT's severe lack of low end), and now being so content with the DDM and SM3... no way, no how. 


Edited by cn11 - 7/27/10 at 11:47am
post #2685 of 2831

^

Thanks. I wonder how Earsonics has that quality on a BA based earphone. It sounds like a BA phone for those who prefer dynamics and I think that's what most of the SM3 owners are. I also think that very few of those who prefer dynamics would like that DBA anyway.

 

Although one can only stay content for so long here. I thought I was done with universals a couple months ago.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)