Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit - Page 3

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Q View Post

I have never tried E7 and I don't think I will because I really distrust FiiO from the fact the they are selling a joke of amp like E5(embarassed to put on my signature).  I cannot believe I got sucked into buying one.  E5 pretty much makes everything sound worse.  Anybody know what opamp is inside it?


If you didn't bother to do search, read review or find detail about thing you want to purchase, you shouldn't buy anything at all.

post #32 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


If you didn't bother to do search, read review or find detail about thing you want to purchase, you shouldn't buy anything at all.

I have the right to buy whatever I wish as I please. And also, you are wrong.  I read the threads here and the reviews at several plances, and thats what convinced me to buy it.   Not until I got it did I find out that the amp was a joke.  It was hyped to sucker alot of people to buy such a worthless piece of junk.    I then realized how much things get hyped here on this forum.  I take the reviews there with a grain of salt on these forums.
 


Edited by High_Q - 5/27/10 at 4:35am
post #33 of 64

The E5s just aren't for you. E5 does quite a few things and make changes to the sound that can be good or bad depending on your taste.  The E5 with bass boost on adds some warmth to the sound, widens the soundstage, and makes the mids more recessed. This works great for me. All this in a really small, portable and clippable package that has its own internal battery which charges in an hour and lasts for 20 or so of listening. 

 

If it's not your thing, then by all means move on to the next amp.

post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Q View Post

Quote:

I have the right to buy whatever I wish as I please. And also, you are wrong.  I read the threads here and the reviews at several plances, and thats what convinced me to buy it.   Not until I got it did I find out that the amp was a joke.  It was hyped to sucker alot of people to buy such a worthless piece of junk.    I then realized how much things get hyped here on this forum.  I take the reviews there with a grain of salt on these forums.
 

Of course you have the right to spend your money on whatever you like, but I would like to know if you can recommend me a $20 portable amp with compatible features similar to that of E5 from a brand name. You know, things like digital volume control, rechargeable battery, bass boost, small form factors, etc. You are definitely right about the 'grain of salt on reviews' though, I would also suggest a little 'perspective'  to go alone with those salt as well.

 

As for my previous comment on 'do search, read review or find detail', that is on the fact that you didn't even bother to even google 'fiio e5 opamp'. It is not like these info is trade secret, isn't it?

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Q View Post

I have never tried E7 and I don't think I will because I really distrust FiiO from the fact the they are selling a joke of amp like E5(embarassed to put on my signature).  I cannot believe I got sucked into buying one.  E5 pretty much makes everything sound worse.  Anybody know what opamp is inside it?


I don't think it's fair to say that the E5 is a joke. It's a $20 headphone amp with a good form factor, convenient features, and reasonably good performance.  It might not have been a good fit for your needs, as there are pros and cons with any product at any price range.

 

The op amp in the E7 is an ADI AD8692. For the E5 is a TI OPA2338UA. The AMP section in the E7 has gone through several reviews both subjectively and objectively through RMAA. FiiO says their goal is to offer products with good quality, good performance, at good prices - it's a delicate balance but it's usually very tough to find something at the same price of a FiiO that offers the same level of quality, performance, and features.


Edited by Jack C - 5/27/10 at 6:20am
post #36 of 64

I have been thoroughly satisfied with the e5, especially for the price (thanks Clieos).  I would also give the e7 a try, sounds like a cool product, and I find myself sitting down and using my phones more often than out traveling so the increased form factor would not be an issue.  Is the amp section more powerful than the e5?  

post #37 of 64

Power wise, it will be more or less similar to E5. The main improvement you will notice from the amp section is really the SQ due to better opamp and parts.

post #38 of 64

I sort of guessed as much.  Funnily enough, the e5 works best on my fuze's (got two really cheap, V1's).  My samsung p2 makes click noises between songs which is really annoying (not sure why it does that).  One question:  with the e5 in line, will I use less power from the fuze?  Are they both working so battery life decreases on both similarly?  I generally have the e5 at max volume and then change the volume on my fuze.

post #39 of 64

You will probably get better battery life on the Fuze, though I don't think it will be very significant.

post #40 of 64
Thread Starter 

OK, so I finally received my fiio e7 from head-direct.com - tried to order it on dealextreme but they don't have them in stock until July 1.  Here's the skinny: if you like the sound of the e5, you'll be happy with the e7.  I have a fairly good cable (I wouldn't dare call if Hi-Quality because I know that this usually means something like $30-$60 or more) going from the line out of my ipod into an e5 amp, and I actually like the sound - its more full and it fills out my shure sr840s well.  I'll admit that the sound is probably not the most crystal clear and the sound stage isn't expansive - certainly not a reference amp - but I like it for everyday listening on the go.  So, the e7 basically allows me to get the sound that I can get from my ipod with the e5 from my macbook.  The sound is definitely improved from the macbook going through the e7, but this is probably really just the DAC being superior to that of the macbook, and then its like I had the e5 attached to an external DAC.  I'm feeling fairly 'meh' about this - acceptable for on the go, but if I want on the go sound I would just listen to my iPod.  I was hoping for an improvement in the sound than what I already have from my iPod LOD > e5, which so far I don't feel like I have gotten.  I will listen to my e7 more, maybe there will be a burning in time (which I read about in one of the reviews) and after that the sound will become warmer and clearer (?maybe?) but, I probably will wind up getting a better desktop amp - or if the reviews are especially promising regarding the e9 I might get the e9 since the e7 can function as a DAC for it (and maybe if they come out with a LOD for the e7, I might use it for another amp).  Anyway, since there has been a lot of speculation around the e7 but not a lot of hard usage, I thought I would add this to the conversation.

 

EDIT:

 

I wanted to update this post because I unfairly judged the e7 in my test.  I didn't realize until after the post that I had not turned off an equalizer setting on my computer (n00b mistake) and now that the amp has had some burn in time, I'm liking it more.  It still isn't a remarkable improvement over the e5, and the sound isn't going to "BLOW YOUR MIND" or anything, but it is a good product and it comes at a fairly good price (if you can find one).


Edited by stratowhammy - 6/15/10 at 2:32am
post #41 of 64

The E7 out of the box had a marked improvement over the E5. Mids are not as recessed and the bass boost adds more to the sound, especially BBL3.  There's an extra level of refinement to the sound, but not that much.

 

My E7 mainly sees use with my netbook, which is what I got it for in the first place. The sound from Netbook to E7 is a lot better than iPod -> LOD -> E5, honestly. Part of the reason is that a netbook can do a much better job than an iPod as a source because you have access to Foobar and better sound formats in addition to better DSPs like Dolby Headphone. Some people though probably just prefer the basic sound out of an iPod.

 

post #42 of 64

If anyone expected a $20 amp like the E5 to actually be audiophile quality, then thats the joke really.

The amp is worth the $20. For $20 i only expect so much in the first place.

I wouldnt say Fiio amps are a rip-off at all.  Theyre inexpensive amps and you get what you pay for.  If you expect an E5 to compete with an RSA amp or Meier or some more expensive amp, then youre dreaming.   Fiio amps fill a niche.    I bought an E3 and an E5 out of curiousity because it was on sale at a meet. It was cheap enough to take the plunge just to see what the hype was about. 

I never recommend them as a serious audiophile amp, but theyre ok for certain peoples needs and i dont think the Fiio company is trying to rip anyone off, and looking at price vs what you get, i think its unfair to say the company is ripping anyone off really.

 

Recommending them as a serious amp is a joke, but as i said before.....theyre worth what you pay for them and the company isnt robbing anyone. 

 

Just know what youre buying before you buy it. 


Edited by Drag0n - 6/13/10 at 10:15pm
post #43 of 64

FiiO is not ripping anyone off. In fact they're doing the opposite, providing people with quality products for a very affordable price.  I would say the ripoffs are the ones charging $500 or$1000 or more for incremental gains over cheaper products.

post #44 of 64

When Fii0 sell something for £300, get your wallet out. It could be very very good.

Had the E5, did a very good job for a laughable price.

serious price, serious product.

post #45 of 64

This may be true. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

When Fii0 sell something for £300, get your wallet out. It could be very very good.

Had the E5, did a very good job for a laughable price.

serious price, serious product.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit