- 91 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Philadelphia
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- To be a headphone amp or not a headphone amp - that is thee question Last post on 5/23/12 at 2:43pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output Last post on 7/16/13 at 6:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- need a portable amp to drive the FA-011's Last post on 3/20/12 at 5:01pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio are starting to freak me out ... Last post on 2/13/13 at 5:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First and foremost, a big thank you to those at Noble Audio who has sent me a unit to review. The Noble Audio customer service experience has been a joy to behold. Brannan is always on hand to deal...
I bought these from the limited selection available at an Apple Store, as I was heading on a trip the next day and needed some new IEMs for the plane ride. I read some reviews and noticed a lot of...
I got a sansa clip+ for my pair of custom iems. Really small, really portable, big nice clip to clip on something while training. Almost perfect sound, some audible noise (really really low, like...
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure E4Cs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
Gear mentioned in this thread:
In reality, I wouldn't choose either. I would go with an iBasso D2+, because the iBasso D2 sounds very good, and they are similar. Hopes this helps.
Wolfson DAC vs. e7's DAC and Double DAC vs. Single DACSo I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.
- the e7 has a wolfson DAC
- many people have said that they e7 is really great
- it has a rechargeable li-ion battery
- it has a sleep timer (I can see myself using this)
- its inexpensive
I was sooo close to buying the iBasso D2 recommended above, but it would have cost close to $200 after shipping. The e7 on the other hand was only $80. Despite the fact that the e5 is not the best piece of sound technology produced, many people have exclaimed that the e7 is pretty special, so I'm going to give it a try. The next amp I get is going to be REALLY nice, but until then, I will enjoy the e7. I'll post back once I get it, and share my experience.
The Fiio E7 is using the same DAC as the iBasso D2+
Same ITPCM 2607 and Wolfson WM8740
So their DAC function may sounds the same
Now i am think to sell my iBasso D2 to buy a Fiio E7
Because the D2 always have bad connection and I think the EQ function of E7
Any feedback on the quality of the Fiio e7? I am looking at getting the D-10, the matching micro dac for my hr micro amp (9v version), or possibly spending much more on the pico dac or other higher end dac. Mostly I'm interested in the dac side of this piece of equipment, although I would probably use the amp from time to time. I should be getting some AKG K702's soon, or I'll run a pair of RE0's off this amp if it doesn't do well enough for the 702's.
I don't have very sensitive ears, amps and DACs give me a marginal improvement but it is not a drastic, day and night difference for me. These are subtle changes in the quality of the sound that you have to listen for. Your mileage may vary. The only way you will find out is to take the plunge.
So I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.
I'm pretty sure the DAC inside the E7 is a Wolfson DAC. Not sure which model. Wolfson is a brand not a specific model, by the way. There are many models of Wolfson DACs. Cannot comment how the E7's Wolfson sounds like though, have not yet heard the E7.
As for multi DACs, the only unit I have heard with dual DACs is the Mamba. From my understanding it has two DACs per channel (left and right). This should allow each DAC to focus on each side explicitly, this probably results in less cross talk and thus you get better separation, imaging and soundstage. The logic is similar to having multi armatures in IEMs, I suppose.
In practice the Mamba was a lot better than my GoVibe Petite DAC/amp, and it had a wider soundstage. Although whether this was a result of the dual DACs or not, I cannot say.
Yeah, unfortunately FiiO decided not to give the E7 line out functionality. They probably want to tie you up to their upcoming E9. Stupid really but that's big business for you.
Sorry, just wants to explain why we don't install the line out from 3.5mm socket!
Our target user is not only hi-fi'er, there are lots of our user is not so similar with what call line out, what call headphone out! for them, they will plug earphone to any socket that can be pluged!
that means they have big chance to plug an earphone into line out! as you know, The output signal from line out is constan! that will cause big problem, or the earphone is burn out! or the high
sound level will hurt the ear of our user!
For example, iPod, Zune, Sansa, Sony, none of them will install the line out to a 3.5mm socket in their portable device ! for us, maybe only one in thousand will have problem with such design, but
it means big big trouble for us!
BTW, that may be a little different between FiiO and others, for us, the sound quality is not the only thing that we must take care! you may notice that all our products market with CE/FCC!
TBH, the DAC chip isn't the most important thing when deciding to get a DAC or not, but actually how its implemented. Many DACs use the wolfson DAC. I owned the Pico, D10 and D2 all at the same time. All use the 4870 and all sounded significantly different. The Pico sounded the best, then the D10 and then the D2+. I have never thought FiiO's were a good product. Many people I feel trick them self into liking them, just because they like having gadgets and they are cheap. The products are cheap, and thats what they sound like. They look good. Thats fine. I would still go with a proven company. I am sure you will be happy either way.
- FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 42 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 1 minute ago
- › Stax 009 for Gaming? 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2