- 90 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Philadelphia
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- To be a headphone amp or not a headphone amp - that is thee question Last post on 5/23/12 at 2:43pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output Last post on 7/16/13 at 6:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- need a portable amp to drive the FA-011's Last post on 3/20/12 at 5:01pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio are starting to freak me out ... Last post on 2/13/13 at 5:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
Gear mentioned in this thread:
In reality, I wouldn't choose either. I would go with an iBasso D2+, because the iBasso D2 sounds very good, and they are similar. Hopes this helps.
Wolfson DAC vs. e7's DAC and Double DAC vs. Single DACSo I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.
- the e7 has a wolfson DAC
- many people have said that they e7 is really great
- it has a rechargeable li-ion battery
- it has a sleep timer (I can see myself using this)
- its inexpensive
I was sooo close to buying the iBasso D2 recommended above, but it would have cost close to $200 after shipping. The e7 on the other hand was only $80. Despite the fact that the e5 is not the best piece of sound technology produced, many people have exclaimed that the e7 is pretty special, so I'm going to give it a try. The next amp I get is going to be REALLY nice, but until then, I will enjoy the e7. I'll post back once I get it, and share my experience.
The Fiio E7 is using the same DAC as the iBasso D2+
Same ITPCM 2607 and Wolfson WM8740
So their DAC function may sounds the same
Now i am think to sell my iBasso D2 to buy a Fiio E7
Because the D2 always have bad connection and I think the EQ function of E7
Any feedback on the quality of the Fiio e7? I am looking at getting the D-10, the matching micro dac for my hr micro amp (9v version), or possibly spending much more on the pico dac or other higher end dac. Mostly I'm interested in the dac side of this piece of equipment, although I would probably use the amp from time to time. I should be getting some AKG K702's soon, or I'll run a pair of RE0's off this amp if it doesn't do well enough for the 702's.
I don't have very sensitive ears, amps and DACs give me a marginal improvement but it is not a drastic, day and night difference for me. These are subtle changes in the quality of the sound that you have to listen for. Your mileage may vary. The only way you will find out is to take the plunge.
So I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.
I'm pretty sure the DAC inside the E7 is a Wolfson DAC. Not sure which model. Wolfson is a brand not a specific model, by the way. There are many models of Wolfson DACs. Cannot comment how the E7's Wolfson sounds like though, have not yet heard the E7.
As for multi DACs, the only unit I have heard with dual DACs is the Mamba. From my understanding it has two DACs per channel (left and right). This should allow each DAC to focus on each side explicitly, this probably results in less cross talk and thus you get better separation, imaging and soundstage. The logic is similar to having multi armatures in IEMs, I suppose.
In practice the Mamba was a lot better than my GoVibe Petite DAC/amp, and it had a wider soundstage. Although whether this was a result of the dual DACs or not, I cannot say.
Yeah, unfortunately FiiO decided not to give the E7 line out functionality. They probably want to tie you up to their upcoming E9. Stupid really but that's big business for you.
Sorry, just wants to explain why we don't install the line out from 3.5mm socket!
Our target user is not only hi-fi'er, there are lots of our user is not so similar with what call line out, what call headphone out! for them, they will plug earphone to any socket that can be pluged!
that means they have big chance to plug an earphone into line out! as you know, The output signal from line out is constan! that will cause big problem, or the earphone is burn out! or the high
sound level will hurt the ear of our user!
For example, iPod, Zune, Sansa, Sony, none of them will install the line out to a 3.5mm socket in their portable device ! for us, maybe only one in thousand will have problem with such design, but
it means big big trouble for us!
BTW, that may be a little different between FiiO and others, for us, the sound quality is not the only thing that we must take care! you may notice that all our products market with CE/FCC!
TBH, the DAC chip isn't the most important thing when deciding to get a DAC or not, but actually how its implemented. Many DACs use the wolfson DAC. I owned the Pico, D10 and D2 all at the same time. All use the 4870 and all sounded significantly different. The Pico sounded the best, then the D10 and then the D2+. I have never thought FiiO's were a good product. Many people I feel trick them self into liking them, just because they like having gadgets and they are cheap. The products are cheap, and thats what they sound like. They look good. Thats fine. I would still go with a proven company. I am sure you will be happy either way.
- FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 seconds ago
- › Looking for well-balanced closed headphones with an inline button... 2 minutes ago
- › Help| Audio Technica CKM-500 VS Sony XBA-2 2 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-06-30 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)