Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 47

post #691 of 1849

What's the consensus here when it comes down to comparing the ATH-W1000x to the ATH-W5000s, and Denon D5000s?  

 

If you had to pick one, which one would it be?

post #692 of 1849

For what kind of listening/music? I think the D5000 might compare rather favourably to the W1000x though I haven't heard it, only my D2000 and I assume the wood warms up the D5000 some compared to the D2000.

 

If you want more mid weight and intimacy to your music you might like the W1000x, but the D2000 at least seems to go higher and lower but with less weight and more air though with a bit of harshness in the treble.

 

I really like how the D2000 sounds but I might have a slight tilt towards to my W1000x because I find it less fatiguing for longer periods.

 

(Actually, I'm still stuck between my W1000x and D2000 and haven't decided if I want take the upgrade path from D2000 to TH-900 or W1000x to W3000ANV... Would I find the TH-900 more engaging than the W3000ANV or vice versa, would I find the sound of either fatiguing?)


Edited by namaiki - 11/9/12 at 7:20am
post #693 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

What's the consensus here when it comes down to comparing the ATH-W1000x to the ATH-W5000s, and Denon D5000s?  

If you had to pick one, which one would it be?

D5000 wins in anything bass, while W1000x mops the floor in midrange and detail retrieval. Both are sibilant but the W1000x is a tad more at that.

I had both, sold the W1000x to get D7000. If I had not got a good deal on the D7000 I'd be happy with both D5000 and W1000x though, they complement each other rather well.
post #694 of 1849

I just tested something old but interesting which applies for woody headphones. Since I have 2 pairs of W1000X, 1 with over 500 hours and 1 brand new, so I took out them to test the burn-in process of typical woody headphones. Conclusion was that there are at least 2 stages of burn-in time. First was 48th hour mark to get rid of the cold, harsh sounds of new headphones. Second was at 100th hour mark, this is where you starting to get all the details and sweetness of woody sounds and also the final stage of burn-in process.

 

Properly I can test my A2000Xs too since I have 2 pairs as well XD. 1 with over 250 hours and 1 brand new.

 

I own WA6 with Sophia Princess 274B rectifier and 6GL7/6EM7 drivers with less than 100 hours. I tested with my Audio Technica Trio W1000X-W3000ANV-W5000. I found WA6 is quite a good match for typical Audio Technica's woody sounding but not so much with "A" and "AD" lines. I also found WA6 incredibly matching HD650 and AKG701~702.   

post #695 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meoow View Post

I just tested something old but interesting which applies for woody headphones. Since I have 2 pairs of W1000X, 1 with over 500 hours and 1 brand new, so I took out them to test the burn-in process of typical woody headphones. Conclusion was that there are at least 2 stages of burn-in time. First was 48th hour mark to get rid of the cold, harsh sounds of new headphones. Second was at 100th hour mark, this is where you starting to get all the details and sweetness of woody sounds and also the final stage of burn-in process.

 

Properly I can test my A2000Xs too since I have 2 pairs as well XD. 1 with over 250 hours and 1 brand new.

 

I own WA6 with Sophia Princess 274B rectifier and 6GL7/6EM7 drivers with less than 100 hours. I tested with my Audio Technica Trio W1000X-W3000ANV-W5000. I found WA6 is quite a good match for typical Audio Technica's woody sounding but not so much with "A" and "AD" lines. I also found WA6 incredibly matching HD650 and AKG701~702.   

 

Somewhat off topic, but which are your favourite headphones for general/all-round use? Is it the W3000ANVs?

 

Somewhat on topic: I knew that there had to have been some sort of burn in. I found the W1000x quite harsh at first but kept at them (since I had paid quite a bit for them... LOL) but now they are probably my favourite phones at the moment. Got my W1000x in June this year. I wonder if I would be past the 100hr mark by now?


Edited by namaiki - 11/10/12 at 6:18am
post #696 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
(Actually, I'm still stuck between my W1000x and D2000 and haven't decided if I want take the upgrade path from D2000 to TH-900 or W1000x to W3000ANV... Would I find the TH-900 more engaging than the W3000ANV or vice versa, would I find the sound of either fatiguing?)

I currently own the W1000X, and I think that the D2000 cannot match the refinement and exquisite tuning of the woodie. With the D5000 would be more a matter of taste.

Note also that the Denons (all of them DX000) are much easier to drive and are not amp-picky as the W1000X. In my finding they require a decent powerful amp with low output impedance and with neutral sound (which is possible to find both in SS and tube designs, with the latter costing much more).

 

If you have in mind to get the TH-900, I think that could be an endgame for you, and you may skip the W3000ANV if not for collectible desire. Unfortunately this last sentence is only based on other people reviews and comparisons.

post #697 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post

 

Somewhat off topic, but which are your favourite headphones for general/all-round use? Is it the W3000ANVs?

 

Somewhat on topic: I knew that there had to have been some sort of burn in. I found the W1000x quite harsh at first but kept at them (since I had paid quite a bit for them... LOL) but now they are probably my favourite phones at the moment. Got my W1000x in June this year. I wonder if I would be past the 100hr mark by now?

 

I must say the W1000X properly my number one favourite all-round headphone. There is no other headphones that I own that can reproduce such distinctive sounding. I call it the "magic W1000X's sounding". Meanwhile W3000ANV has no contender in Jazz section, this is my most favourite headphone for Jazz and Classical, not necessary the most accurate sounding, but more like addictive sounding. And then the W5000...this headphone may not be the best in term of "technical" for the price but the sounding is something to be considered. I think the idea behind W5000 is all about the wood's signature sounding since different types of wood give different sounding and W5000 is all about "raw" wood sound reproduction.


Edited by Meoow - 11/11/12 at 7:15am
post #698 of 1849

I'm thinking of pairing the W1000X with a NuForce Icon HDP. Any thoughts?

post #699 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post


D5000 wins in anything bass, while W1000x mops the floor in midrange and detail retrieval. Both are sibilant but the W1000x is a tad more at that.
I had both, sold the W1000x to get D7000. If I had not got a good deal on the D7000 I'd be happy with both D5000 and W1000x though, they complement each other rather well.

 

The W1000X is prone to sibilance. 

I love how it presents the vocal since it has its own character.

But at certain point the upper mid may easily show the sibilance and it became too annoying.

To me it's a paradox.


Edited by Boringer - 11/13/12 at 12:36am
post #700 of 1849

I've never noticed the sibilance perhaps due to the intimacy of the vocals. If I have heard it, it didn't stand out to me.

post #701 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringer View Post

The W1000X is prone to sibilance. 

I love how it presents the vocal since it has its own character.

But at certain point the upper mid may easily show the sibilance and it became too annoying.

To me it's a paradox.

True, paired with the wrong amp it hisses. With the right one is magic :)

post #702 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post

True, paired with the wrong amp it hisses. With the right one is magic :)

just add an imp adapter???

post #703 of 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post

just add an imp adapter???

 

Do you think it's a matter of impedance? Now i dont have all data of the amps that had more pronounced sibilance paired with my W1000X. I'm happy with the output stage I use on the CK23 and I havent done any change or 2 months, but after holidays i'm going to try some other amps, just for fun.

Anyway I think it is the main defect of these HP, which dont have many, they are a very good all-rounder for me .

post #704 of 1849

I've paired the W1000X with ALO Continental V2.

It increased the performance of the cans in all aspects especially on the mid zone.

Vocal became so lush and has kind of "tubey" sound to me.

But it came with the expense of the upper mid section.

The sibbilance could be too annoying once the volume reach certain point, where I found hardly to enjoy the music at that stage.

 

I've also paired it with ALO RXMk3B and PanAm (in mini meet session, hence just a little time of trial) and found the same result, although the sibbilance came in different level of volume.

 

To me, the W1000X is a good headphone where it has its own characteristic and I still love it.

But I could only enjoy it with "certain" volume level before it became too annoying.

 

Perhaps pairing it with a suitable "dark" amp could delivers proper sound without the sibbilance.

And I eager to know such combo then.

 

Cheers.


Edited by Boringer - 11/18/12 at 12:02am
post #705 of 1849

only if the hiss is due to sensitvity.

worked for my when i used my denon ah-d7000 with my old solo amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!