Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 119

post #1771 of 1782
As a newcomer to the forum just thought to throw my hat into the ring as a fan of the ATH-W1000X Grandioso phones.
I need a close back phone to use in the lounge when others around. I simply use them plugged into the phones output of my Naim Supernait which had a HI Cap DR power supply.(I mention this because the addition of the power supply changed the sound of the phones out quite substantially)

I have been very pleased with these phones. Initially I founf them a little bass heavy and felt some of the detail I was used to hearing from my AKG and Sennheiser phones had been lost. However after a few weeks burning in and perhaps more importantly my hearing tuned into these W 1000's the details was all these with a surprisingly wide soundstage for closed back phones. These phones make for relaxed listening over long periods of time, the lack of 'in your face' detail I think makes them less fatiguing. If the room is completely silent then others can hear some slight leakage from the phones. However if there is a radio of TV on then I can listen to my music without disturbing others.

I have no problem with the headband find it comforatable enough and the phone not that heavy. If I could buy real leather replacement pads I would get them but otherwise no complaints.

I listen to pretty well all genres of music Jazz/Folk/Country/Classical/Rock/Prog Rock and these phones do well for all. If you need closed back phone then buy with confidence.
However search the web for best deals especially if your a Uk buyer as they expensive here. I purchased mine from Hong Kong back in 2011 at £399 and you can do at least as well today.
post #1772 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old to rock View Post

As a newcomer to the forum just thought to throw my hat into the ring as a fan of the ATH-W1000X Grandioso phones.
I need a close back phone to use in the lounge when others around. I simply use them plugged into the phones output of my Naim Supernait which had a HI Cap DR power supply.(I mention this because the addition of the power supply changed the sound of the phones out quite substantially)

I have been very pleased with these phones. Initially I founf them a little bass heavy and felt some of the detail I was used to hearing from my AKG and Sennheiser phones had been lost. However after a few weeks burning in and perhaps more importantly my hearing tuned into these W 1000's the details was all these with a surprisingly wide soundstage for closed back phones. These phones make for relaxed listening over long periods of time, the lack of 'in your face' detail I think makes them less fatiguing. If the room is completely silent then others can hear some slight leakage from the phones. However if there is a radio of TV on then I can listen to my music without disturbing others.

I have no problem with the headband find it comforatable enough and the phone not that heavy. If I could buy real leather replacement pads I would get them but otherwise no complaints.

I listen to pretty well all genres of music Jazz/Folk/Country/Classical/Rock/Prog Rock and these phones do well for all. If you need closed back phone then buy with confidence.
However search the web for best deals especially if your a Uk buyer as they expensive here. I purchased mine from Hong Kong back in 2011 at £399 and you can do at least as well today.

 

You can get the L3000 pads or W5000 pads??? which are both leather I believe - not sure on w5000 ones. I've got my own L3000 pads on the way to me.

post #1773 of 1782
Many thanks will have a look around and see if there are any UK suppliers of the spare pads
post #1774 of 1782

Is the W1000X on the dark side?

post #1775 of 1782
Very hard to describe 'sound' in words. In as much as they are nor bright or forward with emphasis on the treble or high mids I guess some would say they have a dark element to them. As I have said there is a really strong underlying bass to the sound even plugged into something as simple as a an Ipod Nano, but all the detail is still there on top and I find them a very enjoyable listen.
post #1776 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old to rock View Post

Many thanks will have a look around and see if there are any UK suppliers of the spare pads

The UK audio technica shop has W5000 earpads

 

http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=94_80_81&sort=p.price&order=DESC

 

Bit pricey. I've seen some being sold on ebay and other sites in the US too. US thread members may be able to provide useful links from the other side of the pond.

post #1777 of 1782
Thanks for that. I take it the w 5000's are leather?.
Whilst a but pricey I imagine they would be more comfortable over longer listening sessions and given the quality of these phones I don't anticipate changing them any time soon .

(Mind you I havn't listened to the Audeze LCD XC yet :-) )
post #1778 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

That headband just scares me Soooo much lol. I bought a pair of turtle beaches a long time ago that had a headband similar to the at and I swore I would never make that mistake again. I hated them that much.

 

Audio Technica suspension head bands are much better than most gaming headsets, like the Siberia headphones that I've owned with a wire headband that snapped after normal use and I don't think I flex them that much.  The set of ATH-A900's I bought used four years ago are still in near mint condition, even after I used them for a year and then were gifted to my sister and she's used them daily since.  

post #1779 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIFi View Post
 

The W1000X thus far has been a treat with my female vocal based kpop, pop, rock, metal and house. I especially love the job they do with bands like Nightwish, The Gathering, Jex Thoth, Blood Ceremony, Baby Animals etc.

 

All female vocal fronted rock lovers should check out Shaved and Dangerous from Baby Animals, Suze has some very very strong but also sultry singing and the album smokes the first one they put out in 1991 by miles. Nobody will probably check it out, rule of the internet - especially as none will have ever heard of them ;)

 

Eitherway, I find them really easy to listen to and smooth - no issues at all. Not bassy like my other 3 cans of course, but variety is the spice of life.

Indeed I like mine alot!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Is the W1000X on the dark side?

GOD no, it's on the bright side

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo View Post
 

 

Audio Technica suspension head bands are much better than most gaming headsets, like the Siberia headphones that I've owned with a wire headband that snapped after normal use and I don't think I flex them that much.  The set of ATH-A900's I bought used four years ago are still in near mint condition, even after I used them for a year and then were gifted to my sister and she's used them daily since.  

 

also agree'd that head band is like really TOUGH... I've warped mine pretty badly and it's never given me any issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIFi View Post
 

 

You can get the L3000 pads or W5000 pads??? which are both leather I believe - not sure on w5000 ones. I've got my own L3000 pads on the way to me.

Yea Audio Cubes sells the L3000 pads for $100 :/

post #1780 of 1782

Sunday i`m gonna lean a Metrum Acoustics Aurix headphone amplifer from a friend. I shall post a short review here in the thread.

Is it a good match with my Audio-Technica ATH-w1000x? Listening will give me the answer...

post #1781 of 1782

So my W1000X are still languishing in the purgatory of customs :frown: 

I went back to reading the reviews/info on the headphones that are online. Yesterday I was reading this review on the headphones - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiotechnica3/1.html 

 

Near the bottom of the first page, the writer describes the headphones as "the most 'europeanised'". I think he was comparing it slightly to the W5000/other AT headphones.

 

Can anyone clarify what is implied by a 'europeanised' sound?

post #1782 of 1782

Finally the W1000X have arrived from Japan - Can't get over how pretty these cans are.

 

The feel totally different comfort wise compared to my old AD700X - the headband design is slightly different and luckily they fit my head very nicely unlike the AD700X - the original pads of the W1000X feel fine for me so far, so will keep them for now.

 

Will have a good ol' listen and post my thoughts on how they sound afterwards.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!