Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 110

post #1636 of 1847
Hmm I've recently had a few people beg me to not buy them. Said the 650 is the clear winner and on a different level.
post #1637 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

Hmm I've recently had a few people beg me to not buy them. Said the 650 is the clear winner and on a different level.

 

Fascinating.  IMHO, the W1000x is *much* better than the 650.  In fact, I find that audio technicas woodies to have a warmth, almost sensual quality that I just don't hear anywhere else.  YMMV, of course.

post #1638 of 1847

I have been listening to both the HD650 and the W1000x; they have very different shades of presentation. In my opinion both have their strengths and weakness's.The W1000x is genre limited, whereas the 650s can cover more genres.Both shine when paired with tubes :-)

post #1639 of 1847
What amps are you guys using
post #1640 of 1847
I've heard the HD650 also and the sound is darker and the headphones feel claustrofobic.
I'd pick the W1000X over the HD650 with any genre...

The W1000X's are driven by a Bryston BHA-1.
post #1641 of 1847
I gotta say I wasn't too fond of the W1000X either. It is a good can but it has 3 fundamental issues;
1) sibilance/treble spike
2) too much bass punch in contrast to the sub-bass roll-off
3) weird soundstage, hard to explain just seemed uneven and inconsistent (might have something to do with the fact that it is closed but I dobt remember it with the 900x)

Especially compared to the 900x... If the 900 were as comfy I'd absolutely recommend them instead as they to me are a better value and more tuned to my liking.

Obviously just my 0.2. YMMV.
post #1642 of 1847
Thanks conquerator.
post #1643 of 1847
Sibilance is something that would make me return the headphone immediately
post #1644 of 1847

I have found Sibilance tends to be more amp related, as I moved up the chain with the same cans even my most Sibilant tracks are noticeably smoother with increased refinement in detail and resolution in the top end without any associated brightness or harshness.  


Edited by JamieMcC - 3/24/14 at 5:22pm
post #1645 of 1847

And that was with tubes right? Assumable ones known for their weakening of treble on headphones ~ in a good way of course.

 

Sibilance would probably remain with higher SS amps as they tend to be flatter in their response.

post #1646 of 1847

Wow!  People do hear differently.  :-)

 

I've never heard any sibilants with the W1000X... and I've tried it with around 10 amp/dac combos.

post #1647 of 1847
If a headphone has a spike somewhere, especially in the treble, you will hear it with a neutral SS amp. I mean it's there. It's easy to hear it or if a headphone doesn't have it not to hear it.
I am somewhat sensitive to sibilance and it depends on the track less than on the can itself. If the recording is bright, spiky phones will emphasize that. If the headphone is less spiky, the differences are much smaller. Ala spiky vs bright vs warm or dark headphone.
In that sense, the W1000X can be considered spiky or edgy, in a sense bright because of that 8-10khz spike. Otherwise it'd be rather warm. Then again bright headphones can still be just fine if they don't have treble spikes. Nothing against treble tilted phones, I like them in fact if done right without sibilance spikes.
Edited by conquerator2 - 3/24/14 at 9:25pm
post #1648 of 1847

Yes with tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIFi View Post
 

And that was with tubes right? Assumable ones known for their weakening of treble on headphones ~ in a good way of course.

 

Sibilance would probably remain with higher SS amps as they tend to be flatter in their response.

 

Yes tubes, however sibilance can be absolutely grimacing with tubes also as I have found out. I mostly use the T'1's which are well known for having a hot treble. I have been upgrading my amp with a stepped attenuator and film and Teflon capacitors. Same tubes same headphones but the difference to the refinement in the top end and high mids with the T1 honestly has to be heard to be believed. 


Edited by JamieMcC - 3/25/14 at 4:33am
post #1649 of 1847
I've been considering the t90 but it has a pretty big spike
post #1650 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post
 

K550 sounds similar? Did not expect that... I'm used to akg house sound being quite clinical. I'm set with my current headphones, I sold w1000x mainly because I think dx1000 is a better headphone. I'd just like something with the magic w1000x has with female vocals in particular. W1000x  is really underappriciated... At cheapest it doesn't cost much more than hd650 and such but is clearly a league above. Some hear differently but for me it is obvious.

Actually I can agree with this, I owned the K550, it's as much of a pain in the rear to seal as the W1000x [can be] but for half the price it does sound very good! ofc the w1000x was much better

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

I have found Sibilance tends to be more amp related, as I moved up the chain with the same cans even my most Sibilant tracks are noticeably smoother with increased refinement in detail and resolution in the top end without any associated brightness or harshness.  

 

I find it to be mostly dac and file source related, remember your amp amplifies your dac, have a dac with a cheaper chip and a tendancy for artifical or over pronounced treble, your amp will make it worse. The Sciit vali did a nice job of adding some meat to the W1000x, but it caused the w1000x to lose some of it's edge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

If a headphone has a spike somewhere, especially in the treble, you will hear it with a neutral SS amp. I mean it's there. It's easy to hear it or if a headphone doesn't have it not to hear it.
I am somewhat sensitive to sibilance and it depends on the track less than on the can itself. If the recording is bright, spiky phones will emphasize that. If the headphone is less spiky, the differences are much smaller. Ala spiky vs bright vs warm or dark headphone.
In that sense, the W1000X can be considered spiky or edgy, in a sense bright because of that 8-10khz spike. Otherwise it'd be rather warm. Then again bright headphones can still be just fine if they don't have treble spikes. Nothing against treble tilted phones, I like them in fact if done right without sibilance spikes.

Again, if you REALLY have a issue with the treble get a Hifiman DAP. My w1000x is 50/50 out of my NFB10ES2, sometimes it's SEX ON FIRE, other times it's SEX ON FIRE [literally... which is painful] but for better or worse hifiman DAPS are WARM, they have a nice treble roll off which pairs amazingly with [ironically or not so] Hifiman Headphones

 

That said I LOVE my w1000x out of my hm801, I'm also FINALLY getting the damn thing balanced! THIS WEEK. Waiting now on Brian to send me a final innovoice, as I need him to make me 2 4pin to XLR adapters. My w1000x is getting a modular cable, mini Azude xlr Earings, going to take the stock plug and use it in a 4pin xlr to SE adapter. BUt I'm having a balanced cable built for my w1000x and my HE 4 [to share] I will though need another balanced Cable if I ever sell my W1000x, and after hearing the W5000 was not the "cup of tea" makes me think the only sensible upgrade to teh W1000x is the Alpha Dog [which lacks wood so meh] or the Azude LCD XC.... which might also repalce my wooden D2k...

 

Non the less glad this thread is still kicking <3 my poor w1000x hasn't gotten much love since it's been set aside due to it's lack of a SE cable [the D2k out of my pb2 balanced amp has been great for rock, not W1000x levels of great but good enough] so I'm going to keep the W1000x off head till she's balanced so the next time I hear it, it'll be after 3 months of HE 4 and D2k. Meaning she will SHINE at 110%!

 

But atm, waiting on Brian of BTG to send me the final Quote

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!