Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 104

post #1546 of 1851

It's not like you're missing much anyways after obtaining the W1000x and losing the 650s :)

post #1547 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

Thanks! Honestly, I thought my ZMF T50RP was too similar to the HD650 (the HD650 was better, but not, "I could have $300 towards a completely different headphone," better) to really justify keeping, so it doesn't make me too sad.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Yep I have both cans, miles less leakage on the w1000x and good quality sound. Mine took week or two of burn in before they started to sound their best and to be honest I was not overwhelmed with them straight out of the box so give them a couple of weeks rather than judging on first listen. I don't think you will be disappointed with the sound but they do feel different on the head.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post
 

It's not like you're missing much anyways after obtaining the W1000x and losing the 650s :)

yeaper

 

yea DO NOT judge them at first listen, make sure you get a good fit, as the fit can make or break the sound... BIG TIME!

 

That said, I still own my W1000x :3 I've thought of selling it a few times but it's too special! And as I've said before it sounds uber nice with a Warm DAC/DAP and a LINEAR Amp, my new pb2 sounds wonderful with the w1000x out of the hm801

post #1548 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

It's not like you're missing much anyways after obtaining the W1000x and losing the 650s smily_headphones1.gif

The fact that you're saying this after you've shipped them to me makes me a little more confident tongue.gif (just kidding)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post




yeaper

yea DO NOT judge them at first listen, make sure you get a good fit, as the fit can make or break the sound... BIG TIME!

That said, I still own my W1000x :3 I've thought of selling it a few times but it's too special! And as I've said before it sounds uber nice with a Warm DAC/DAP and a LINEAR Amp, my new pb2 sounds wonderful with the w1000x out of the hm801

I have exactly that in my Gamma2+EHHA combo!
post #1549 of 1851

I don't own them anymore.

And while I can't say I exactly regret buying them... Whatever, you guys just enjoy the cans if you like 'em :gs1000smile:

post #1550 of 1851

Got them in on Friday and been trying them out sporadically since then. I like the signature, but these pads. Man, they are awful. So stiff that they just aren't sealing completely. I was able to bend the band in a way that the cups lay flat against my head, but they just aren't sealing and I'm certain it's because of the pad stiffness. They also aren't very deep, so that's not helping either.

 

Someone tell me they soften up after a while or give me some other options, please.

post #1551 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

Got them in on Friday and been trying them out sporadically since then. I like the signature, but these pads. Man, they are awful.

+1 I will eventually bite the bullet and buy some replacement pads.

post #1552 of 1851

I just got mine today and the first thing I did was put them on, feel unsettled by the fact that the pads make the headphone slip off my head, and slap on some Alpha Pads. There's definitely more bass with the Alpha Pads.


Edited by Ishcabible - 2/10/14 at 10:31am
post #1553 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

I just got mine today and the first thing I did was put them on, feel unsettled by the fact that the pads make the headphone slip off my head, and slap on some Alpha Pads. There's definitely more bass with the Alpha Pads.

I don't suppose you could post a pic of how they look with the Alpha Pads fitted

 

TIA

post #1554 of 1851




And one for fun:


I just took them off though. The curve made the soundstage too wonky.

EDIT: Oh wow, the Note 3 takes pretty decent pictures. I uploaded these from my phone, hoping they weren't too bad-looking, but I'm pleasantly surprised.
Edited by Ishcabible - 2/10/14 at 11:06am
post #1555 of 1851

They look comfortable.

 

Are these custom made for the ADs? They kinda look like the Denon earpads.

post #1556 of 1851

They're made for T50RPs, which is similar in size to the W1000X, so they fit quite well!

post #1557 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

They're made for T50RPs, which is similar in size to the W1000X, so they fit quite well!

Glad to see they fit? Though I doubt the design is suitable for the sonic signature of the W1000x.

By the way, try to get some time with them in a quiet place. I found they were best enjoyed at night.

post #1558 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post
 

Glad to see they fit? Though I doubt the design is suitable for the sonic signature of the W1000x.

By the way, try to get some time with them in a quiet place. I found they were best enjoyed at night.

 

Yeah, stock pads are back on. I really wanted them to work, but they (most likely because of their angle and thickness) not only make the soundstage weird, but the bass was a bit bloated. I guess I'll have to get some L3000 pads after all...

 

Right now I'm listening to John Butler Trio's Oceans (the St. Gallen version) and I'm already liking it a lot. Their brighter sound sig matches me more than my ZMF for certain genres. 

post #1559 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

I just got mine today and the first thing I did was put them on, feel unsettled by the fact that the pads make the headphone slip off my head, and slap on some Alpha Pads. There's definitely more bass with the Alpha Pads.

Yeah, there is definitely a level of support missing from the stock pads. Would be willing to try the Alpha Pads, but I'm worried about messing with the signature too much. Would you say they warm up all the frequencies or just add a little to the bass?

 

Edit: Didn't see the last post.


Edited by roguegeek - 2/10/14 at 1:10pm
post #1560 of 1851

So, this whole pad thing is real disconcerting. It's making the fit and support issues I have with the AD series feel minute right now. It's sounding pretty great when I push on the cups slightly and forcefully seal the pads, but that isn't a practical work around. I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it settles, but it's not looking great.

 

This is really frustrating because I love the AT signatures, but have always had fit problems. The amount of work I put into the AD700 to get them to fit right was worth it because they were cheap and it was fun. Considering the price of this can, I'm not as enthusiastic about modifying it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!