Hi all, I just started listening my new w1000x. How long burn in is recommended for these? Out of the box sound is boring. I'f this is how these are supposed to sound I don't understand how anyone could call these fun headphones. There is nothing wrong in particular...I just don't enjoy these. I bought these to be alternatives for jvc ha-dx1000. Something with more upper end and less bass. For that they fit the bill. Anyhow...could burn in make a big difference or do I need a warmer, perhaps a tube amp? I plan on trying few lower end amps before making final leap to my (hopefully) end game amp. Thinking about trying atleast magni/vali/little dot mkIII before making a final decision between woo audio wa2, la figaro 339 and little dot mkvIII se. What do you guys think about those amps with w1000x? Mainly I'm choosing a amp for T1 but it would definately be a bonus if amp was a good match with lower impedance ath and jvc as well. At this point I'm guessing I end up with ld mkvIIIse+magni(for lower impedance headphones and in case I get orthos along the way)+gungnir.
Quick impressions after couple of hours listening.
- Soundstage is impressive, perhaps bigger than on dx1000. I haven't compared side by side. But if my memory serves me right dx1000 has better imaging and everything is placed more "correctly" in the enviroment.
- It's a cliche but these do sound and feel very open. Recommendable headphone for someone who usually feels claustrophobic wearing closed headphones.
- Everything is surprisingly balanced, I expected more V shape sound
- Really liking the bass. Firm, impactfull and zero leakage over mids
- Vocals get shouty at times
- Definately more highs than on dx1000, nothing special. Lately I've been listening only T1 so my ears might be spoiled. My mind expects similar airy presentation that I'm used to lately.
- Pads are indeed horrible. Sweaty, thin and provide bad isolation. If I wasn't aware of this issue beforehand I propably would have been so pissed that I had sent these back immediately. Unforgivable lousy quality for headphone of this price.
As you can see from my impressions I think these are good headphones...But something is missing for me to truly enjoy these :(
EDIT: It might just be that I expected way too much. If I had budget only of 399usd I would propably be content with these. Considering dx1000 is double the price and open T1 three times as much these are very very good. If I had gone say hd600->w1000x route instead of T1->w1000x I had been overwhelmed by the quality of ath. I understand that i'f I were looking closed back equavalent for T1 it would be something very expensive, perhaps th900 instead of ath. That doesn't explain the lack of fun factor though. Very mixed first impressions indeed. I just had hoped that these would have been as enjoyable as dx1000 but with different sound signature. If things don't improve with burn in or with another amp I can't really keep these. Even though these are propably a good deal for 399usd that's not exactly cheap either...
Edited by Beocord - 11/13/13 at 3:06am