Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 74

post #1096 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

I used this precision screwdriver set from Husky: 

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Precision-Screwdriver-Kit/dp/B0006JLLMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380599147&sr=8-3&keywords=husky+screwdriver+set

 

Don't use anything cheaper. The material I used was thinner than Dynamat, so you would only need to apply smaller strips to get the same effect. The point is to experiment and tweak according to personal taste. I wanted to clean things up a little bit without messing with the W1000's character too much.

 

Yea I did the "little bit of cleaning" and I'm very happy with the results, I accidently put my dynamt more towards the back as well lol, and it seemed to work a little better than expected. But that said it's BEAUTIFUL out of the HM801 

 

I may have mentioned this already but I found that actually... the pb1 sounds kinda BLEH with the w1000x, So the w1000x has a much more intimate delicate low end with JUST the hm801, when I go line out into the pb1 I loose a little weight in the low mids, and instead get a nice edge in the upper mids... and honesty... I like the weight darker sound from just the hm801, it's that extra upper bass low mid weight that makes the w1000x intimate imo! If I want upper mid edge I've got the Dt 880 xD, it's the intamacy of the low and central mids imo that make the w1000x so yummy

 

that said, I do plan on going fully balanced to a RSA F-35 in about 3-4 months! Then Going to get my w1000x recabled :3 thinking of getting Zombie X to do another Copper Recable for me! Best of all RSA amp come with their own adapters! 

post #1097 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

I don't think I'd like it THAT clean. It already sounds un godly thin out of my 10ES2, I might over mod it when I get a tube though For now I enjoy the peaky treble and I enjoy it out of the hm801 very much :3 

 

I think the thinness is actually as a result of the L3000 ear pads, and not so much of the enclosure. As far as I can hear, the enclosure actually acts more as a low frequency resonance chamber. To a certain extent, it sort of "boost" low mid and upper bass, but doesn't really do much beyond that.

 

And to a certain extent, the W1000X at stock does sound like it has a dip right in the middle of its frequency response to my ears (from around 1K to 4K) so that would account for the "thin" sound. Golden Ears' measurement also agrees with me. Since that's an inherent characteristic of the drivers, dampening the enclosure to clean up resonance wouldn't change that.

 

I did do some other things to "attenuate" other frequencies and bring those regions up, though.

 

For instance, I can tell you that putting felt on top of the drivers... akin to what Beyerdynamic does to the DT880, does have quite a good effect on midrange. And with the right thickness and shape, it won't interfere with the overall presentation.

 

Man, I really went above and beyond with this particular pair of headphones.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

so in your personal opinion, the original purrin's mod is a bit conservative and could be pushed more

 

Yes. Part of the reason is because when you close the enclosure up, the yellow fiberglass pads inside are compressed by the plastic housing... so a part of the wood is always revealed to the drivers. Unless you somehow cover the entire ear cup completely with dynamat and also stuff the revealed part with more felt, there is always some resonance and some space for air to move. In fact, blocking the ports next to the screwholes have a more dramatic effect on the resonance than dynamat... as I found out. But once you do that, you pretty much kills bass and low mid completely, making the W1000X sound anemic and weak. Perhaps attenuating those ports with felt or something that still lets "some" air in would do the trick... but since I already spent so many hours experimenting with these different "tweaks", I couldn't bother to try that again.

 

And of course, as purrin said, it all depends on your preference. Personally, I like the clarity after I went overboard with dynamat... though admittedly, it did take away the intimacy. So instead I used felt to recover a part of that intimacy.


Edited by Bill-P - 9/30/13 at 9:18pm
post #1098 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

 

I think the thinness is actually as a result of the L3000 ear pads, and not so much of the enclosure. As far as I can hear, the enclosure actually acts more as a low frequency resonance chamber. To a certain extent, it sort of "boost" low mid and upper bass, but doesn't really do much beyond that.

 

And to a certain extent, the W1000X at stock does sound like it has a dip right in the middle of its frequency response to my ears (from around 1K to 4K) so that would account for the "thin" sound. Golden Ears' measurement also agrees with me. Since that's an inherent characteristic of the drivers, dampening the enclosure to clean up resonance wouldn't change that.

 

I did do some other things to "attenuate" other frequencies and bring those regions up, though.

 

For instance, I can tell you that putting felt on top of the drivers... akin to what Beyerdynamic does to the DT880, does have quite a good effect on midrange. And with the right thickness and shape, it won't interfere with the overall presentation.

 

Man, I really went above and beyond with this particular pair of headphones.

 

 

Yes. Part of the reason is because when you close the enclosure up, the yellow fiberglass pads inside are compressed by the plastic housing... so a part of the wood is always revealed to the drivers. Unless you somehow cover the entire ear cup completely with dynamat and also stuff the revealed part with more felt, there is always some resonance and some space for air to move. In fact, blocking the ports next to the screwholes have a more dramatic effect on the resonance than dynamat... as I found out. But once you do that, you pretty much kills bass and low mid completely, making the W1000X sound anemic and weak. Perhaps attenuating those ports with felt or something that still lets "some" air in would do the trick... but since I already spent so many hours experimenting with these different "tweaks", I couldn't bother to try that again.

 

And of course, as purrin said, it all depends on your preference. Personally, I like the clarity after I went overboard with dynamat... though admittedly, it did take away the intimacy. So instead I used felt to recover a part of that intimacy.

 

Bill-P,

 

Can you share with us how you modded your w1000x?  I did a purrin's mod on mine but instead with dynamat material and I seem to like it very much.  

 

I know you did many experimenting, so what was your final mod and result?

post #1099 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyang View Post
 

 

Bill-P,

 

Can you share with us how you modded your w1000x?  I did a purrin's mod on mine but instead with dynamat material and I seem to like it very much.  

 

I know you did many experimenting, so what was your final mod and result?

 

same here, want to see how bill mods his w1000x, in details :)

post #1100 of 1786

Well, basically, I did the following obvious mods:

 

1) Purrin's mod... with Dynamat. Do the same thing purrin did, but cover more of the wood cups and also put Dynamat on both the back of the driver and the inside of the plastic enclosure that holds the drivers. Basically, I covered the entire back side of the drivers in Dynamat. Due caution should be taken... as you can see that you're messing with the drivers directly.

 

2) L3000 ear pads... as you probably know.

 

And then these... but they are OPTIONAL:

 

1) A thin strip of foam stuffed inside the ear pads to puff it up. Effect: increases isolation, decreases "some" treble extension (doesn't reduce sibilance), decreases some details, increases bass quantity (quality not affected), increases reverb so it sort of adds a "chamber" effect to soundstage.

 

2) Felt pads in front of the drivers. You can secure the felt pad by either thin strips of tape, or... by putting a small piece of dynamat in the plastic region directly in front of the drivers. Effect: attenuates high frequencies, so depending on the thickness of the felt, or the shape you cut it out (it doesn't have to be circular), you'll achieve more midrange. Overdoing this may cause congestion, so handle with care... or not at all (preserve clarity)

 

3) Use some tape and a circular piece of paper to... compress the foam ring that's around the drivers in the front. Just take off the ear pads and you'll see that foam ring. The piece of paper should be circular like the foam ring, and should help cover the foam ring so that tape does not come into contact with the foam ring and damage it. Please take extreme caution NOT to get tape on the paper layer around there. Seriously, this is one of the harder mods, that's why I took it off overall when I sold my W1000X because I didn't want to risk having the buyer damage either the foam ring or the paper layer around there unintentionally. Effect: less treble extension and soundstage width, but a good deal more midrange and a good deal more details... plus more depth. I'm not sure why Audio Technica put this foam ring there. Having the drivers closer to your ears would actually give you a better sound in this case. I was inclined to take it off completely at some point, but I didn't want to do any mod that's irreversible.

 

4) Stuff the bass ports (near screwholes) up with tissue. Effect: tighter fit with the screws, less "boomy" bass, bass becomes flatter and more one-dimensional, but in exchange, midrange is clearer and also less resonance. If dynamat seems like too much trouble to put on (or too expensive), then doing this will achieve sort of the same effect. Downside is bass. But if you don't care about that to begin with... I didn't attempt this without taking the ear cups off, but I think it "may" be possible that you can stuff those small tissue pieces into those holes just the same.

 

5) Felt rings in the back of the drivers to cover the space left behind after the yellow fiberglass is compressed by the plastic enclosure. Effect: cleaner bass and less resoance. Also one of those mods that you can do in case Dynamat is too much trouble to put on... though cutting all those felt rings (I stuffed in like 10 rings per cup... so I had to cut 20 rings in total) is tedious all the same.

 

6) Stuff up that opening on top of the plastic frame near the hinge where you hook the ear pads on. Effect: greatly decreases air, so treble extension isn't quite so "peaky", but sibilance is still there. This one is probably for those who are looking to have a darker sound while not taking away the clarity of the L3000 ear pads. I liked my treble, so I ultimately didn't pay that much attention to this one, but I suspect you can cover this opening in some unique ways so that it doesn't decrease treble.

 

7) Tissue in the "trench" of the plastic housing where the ear pads are "padded" in the back of your neck. Effect: may be placebo, but I feel that this makes the sound more "solid".

 

And... that's all I tried. :o

 

I didn't try anything too elaborate. 

post #1101 of 1786

I thought I should add, treble sharpness, or mid-treble can be toned down with layers of felt or cloth in front of the driver.

post #1102 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

Well, basically, I did the following obvious mods:

 

1) Purrin's mod... with Dynamat. Do the same thing purrin did, but cover more of the wood cups and also put Dynamat on both the back of the driver and the inside of the plastic enclosure that holds the drivers. Basically, I covered the entire back side of the drivers in Dynamat. Due caution should be taken... as you can see that you're messing with the drivers directly.

 

2) L3000 ear pads... as you probably know.

 

And then these... but they are OPTIONAL:

 

1) A thin strip of foam stuffed inside the ear pads to puff it up. Effect: increases isolation, decreases "some" treble extension (doesn't reduce sibilance), decreases some details, increases bass quantity (quality not affected), increases reverb so it sort of adds a "chamber" effect to soundstage.

 

2) Felt pads in front of the drivers. You can secure the felt pad by either thin strips of tape, or... by putting a small piece of dynamat in the plastic region directly in front of the drivers. Effect: attenuates high frequencies, so depending on the thickness of the felt, or the shape you cut it out (it doesn't have to be circular), you'll achieve more midrange. Overdoing this may cause congestion, so handle with care... or not at all (preserve clarity)

 

3) Use some tape and a circular piece of paper to... compress the foam ring that's around the drivers in the front. Just take off the ear pads and you'll see that foam ring. The piece of paper should be circular like the foam ring, and should help cover the foam ring so that tape does not come into contact with the foam ring and damage it. Please take extreme caution NOT to get tape on the paper layer around there. Seriously, this is one of the harder mods, that's why I took it off overall when I sold my W1000X because I didn't want to risk having the buyer damage either the foam ring or the paper layer around there unintentionally. Effect: less treble extension and soundstage width, but a good deal more midrange and a good deal more details... plus more depth. I'm not sure why Audio Technica put this foam ring there. Having the drivers closer to your ears would actually give you a better sound in this case. I was inclined to take it off completely at some point, but I didn't want to do any mod that's irreversible.

 

4) Stuff the bass ports (near screwholes) up with tissue. Effect: tighter fit with the screws, less "boomy" bass, bass becomes flatter and more one-dimensional, but in exchange, midrange is clearer and also less resonance. If dynamat seems like too much trouble to put on (or too expensive), then doing this will achieve sort of the same effect. Downside is bass. But if you don't care about that to begin with... I didn't attempt this without taking the ear cups off, but I think it "may" be possible that you can stuff those small tissue pieces into those holes just the same.

 

5) Felt rings in the back of the drivers to cover the space left behind after the yellow fiberglass is compressed by the plastic enclosure. Effect: cleaner bass and less resoance. Also one of those mods that you can do in case Dynamat is too much trouble to put on... though cutting all those felt rings (I stuffed in like 10 rings per cup... so I had to cut 20 rings in total) is tedious all the same.

 

6) Stuff up that opening on top of the plastic frame near the hinge where you hook the ear pads on. Effect: greatly decreases air, so treble extension isn't quite so "peaky", but sibilance is still there. This one is probably for those who are looking to have a darker sound while not taking away the clarity of the L3000 ear pads. I liked my treble, so I ultimately didn't pay that much attention to this one, but I suspect you can cover this opening in some unique ways so that it doesn't decrease treble.

 

7) Tissue in the "trench" of the plastic housing where the ear pads are "padded" in the back of your neck. Effect: may be placebo, but I feel that this makes the sound more "solid".

 

And... that's all I tried. :o

 

I didn't try anything too elaborate. 

 

Appreciated!! very detailed one!

 

however, I think Im not gonna do that simply because im a DIY retard, I'll just do purrin's mod and maybe add some more dynamat on some parts and call it a day...

post #1103 of 1786

q.Q'

 

Yea that dip is pretty obvious, and something like the iBassoo Pb1 which has a upper mid boost has a wierd sound to it, I actually found [and I mentioend this already] straight out of the HM801 reallly gave it a nice thick intimate low end, that was still very lean and VERY clean. So I'm happy with a little dynamat and the L3k pads 

post #1104 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

Well, basically, I did the following obvious mods:

 

1) Purrin's mod... with Dynamat. Do the same thing purrin did, but cover more of the wood cups and also put Dynamat on both the back of the driver and the inside of the plastic enclosure that holds the drivers. Basically, I covered the entire back side of the drivers in Dynamat. Due caution should be taken... as you can see that you're messing with the drivers directly.

 

2) L3000 ear pads... as you probably know.

 

And then these... but they are OPTIONAL:

 

1) A thin strip of foam stuffed inside the ear pads to puff it up. Effect: increases isolation, decreases "some" treble extension (doesn't reduce sibilance), decreases some details, increases bass quantity (quality not affected), increases reverb so it sort of adds a "chamber" effect to soundstage.

 

2) Felt pads in front of the drivers. You can secure the felt pad by either thin strips of tape, or... by putting a small piece of dynamat in the plastic region directly in front of the drivers. Effect: attenuates high frequencies, so depending on the thickness of the felt, or the shape you cut it out (it doesn't have to be circular), you'll achieve more midrange. Overdoing this may cause congestion, so handle with care... or not at all (preserve clarity)

 

3) Use some tape and a circular piece of paper to... compress the foam ring that's around the drivers in the front. Just take off the ear pads and you'll see that foam ring. The piece of paper should be circular like the foam ring, and should help cover the foam ring so that tape does not come into contact with the foam ring and damage it. Please take extreme caution NOT to get tape on the paper layer around there. Seriously, this is one of the harder mods, that's why I took it off overall when I sold my W1000X because I didn't want to risk having the buyer damage either the foam ring or the paper layer around there unintentionally. Effect: less treble extension and soundstage width, but a good deal more midrange and a good deal more details... plus more depth. I'm not sure why Audio Technica put this foam ring there. Having the drivers closer to your ears would actually give you a better sound in this case. I was inclined to take it off completely at some point, but I didn't want to do any mod that's irreversible.

 

4) Stuff the bass ports (near screwholes) up with tissue. Effect: tighter fit with the screws, less "boomy" bass, bass becomes flatter and more one-dimensional, but in exchange, midrange is clearer and also less resonance. If dynamat seems like too much trouble to put on (or too expensive), then doing this will achieve sort of the same effect. Downside is bass. But if you don't care about that to begin with... I didn't attempt this without taking the ear cups off, but I think it "may" be possible that you can stuff those small tissue pieces into those holes just the same.

 

5) Felt rings in the back of the drivers to cover the space left behind after the yellow fiberglass is compressed by the plastic enclosure. Effect: cleaner bass and less resoance. Also one of those mods that you can do in case Dynamat is too much trouble to put on... though cutting all those felt rings (I stuffed in like 10 rings per cup... so I had to cut 20 rings in total) is tedious all the same.

 

6) Stuff up that opening on top of the plastic frame near the hinge where you hook the ear pads on. Effect: greatly decreases air, so treble extension isn't quite so "peaky", but sibilance is still there. This one is probably for those who are looking to have a darker sound while not taking away the clarity of the L3000 ear pads. I liked my treble, so I ultimately didn't pay that much attention to this one, but I suspect you can cover this opening in some unique ways so that it doesn't decrease treble.

 

7) Tissue in the "trench" of the plastic housing where the ear pads are "padded" in the back of your neck. Effect: may be placebo, but I feel that this makes the sound more "solid".

 

And... that's all I tried. :o

 

I didn't try anything too elaborate. 

 

Thanks Bill-P, very well said.  

post #1105 of 1786

I just got my Dymanat from Amazon,

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

having no idea how to use that, it has a thick black, gummy, sticky glue kinda thing, and its mounted on a cardboard, do I need to get this black sticky thing out? feel like it sticks to the cardboard too well, like stronger than gum


Edited by graphic - 10/1/13 at 7:20pm
post #1106 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

I just got my Dymanat from Amazon,

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

having no idea how to use that, it has a thick black, gummy, sticky glue kinda thing, and its mounted on a cardboard, do I need to get this black sticky thing out? feel like it sticks to the cardboard too well, like stronger than gum

 

YAR me matey,

 

Yea My dynmat has this like white paper cardboard junk on it, I would start buy cutting out some 1cmx1cm square, and then from there peel off the card board and proceed to re mount ur dynamat onto your headphones :3 

post #1107 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

I just got my Dymanat from Amazon,

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

having no idea how to use that, it has a thick black, gummy, sticky glue kinda thing, and its mounted on a cardboard, do I need to get this black sticky thing out? feel like it sticks to the cardboard too well, like stronger than gum

 

Yes, it's thick and gummy, yet very sticky.  When you apply it leave the foil on, the foil does not peel off.  Take your time and don't rush, it's far too easy to damage wirings or the beautiful ear cups.  Also, a reminder do not breathe in the yellow fiber.  Clean the area with a wet towel after you're done, a wet towel will suck it all up.  

 

Happy modding :D 

post #1108 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyang View Post
 

 

Yes, it's thick and gummy, yet very sticky.  When you apply it leave the foil on, the foil does not peel off.  Take your time and don't rush, it's far too easy to damage wirings or the beautiful ear cups.  Also, a reminder do not breathe in the yellow fiber.  Clean the area with a wet towel after you're done, a wet towel will suck it all up.  

 

Happy modding :D 

 

Oh yea, don't remove the silver foil :3 and while it is "reversable" I really don't see that stuff coming off q.q so try a little at a time! 

post #1109 of 1786

thanks guys, i was afraid to peel it off....and yeah i dont think its easily reversable with dynamat

post #1110 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

thanks guys, i was afraid to peel it off....and yeah i dont think its easily reversable with dynamat

 

Anytime!  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!