Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! - Page 73

post #1081 of 1847

Ok......great I found this thread and I read from page 40+..

 

but I'm a complete retard when it comes to DIY, and Purrin's original post is too vague 

 

can anyone provide a detailed almost foolproof tutorial on how to do this mod?

 

I know its basically take it apart, put some sticky stuff in and put it back, but I'd love to know some details and tips and things to watch out

 

like, the yellow fiber foam, do I need to remove it? someone says do not touch it, I need to remove this and apply dynamat right?

 

and someone has different opinion on where to apply dynamat, or simply follow Purrin's original post is enough?

 

also, I've read that dynamat comes with all kinds of thickness, how much thickness do I need?

 

 

is there anyone kind enough to help this poor guy? maybe add some arrows on Purrin's picture at least give some more apparent directions

 

 

much much thanks!

post #1082 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

Ok......great I found this thread and I read from page 40+..

 

but I'm a complete retard when it comes to DIY, and Purrin's original post is too vague 

 

can anyone provide a detailed almost foolproof tutorial on how to do this mod?

 

I know its basically take it apart, put some sticky stuff in and put it back, but I'd love to know some details and tips and things to watch out

 

like, the yellow fiber foam, do I need to remove it? someone says do not touch it, I need to remove this and apply dynamat right?

 

and someone has different opinion on where to apply dynamat, or simply follow Purrin's original post is enough?

 

also, I've read that dynamat comes with all kinds of thickness, how much thickness do I need?

 

 

is there anyone kind enough to help this poor guy? maybe add some arrows on Purrin's picture at least give some more apparent directions

 

 

much much thanks!

 

can't help with pics as I unable to open my w1000x up atm [lost the darn screw driver]

 

How ever I applied about 6 1cm squares of dynamt along the DEEPEST part of the houseing, the bottom back end of the driver houses, where the wood goes deepest, and I put it along the wall, and yes remove the yellow stuff and maybe where some latex gloves when u touch it

 

I used Dynamat extreme, maybe like 1-2mm thick most likely 1mm thick of that 

post #1083 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

can't help with pics as I unable to open my w1000x up atm [lost the darn screw driver]

 

How ever I applied about 6 1cm squares of dynamt along the DEEPEST part of the houseing, the bottom back end of the driver houses, where the wood goes deepest, and I put it along the wall, and yes remove the yellow stuff and maybe where some latex gloves when u touch it

 

I used Dynamat extreme, maybe like 1-2mm thick most likely 1mm thick of that 

 

thanks man, so yours looks like that? borrow Purrin's pic here

 

6 squares and along the wall

 

post #1084 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

 

thanks man, so yours looks like that? borrow Purrin's pic here

 

6 squares and along the wall

 

 

yeap I have my squares oppisite of where Purrin put his I think, which removes a LOT of the Mid Decay. Which imo isn't a bad thing as when you pair them with a warm source or amp like the Hm801 they get magical. Although after you mod these [I apprently over modded] they should sound ear gasmic with any warm source [my oDac and Lme49990 M Stage was much warmer than I thought :O] 

 

I still want to balance mine and drive her out of a LD MKVI+ with some Tung Sols! 

post #1085 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

yeap I have my squares oppisite of where Purrin put his I think, which removes a LOT of the Mid Decay. Which imo isn't a bad thing as when you pair them with a warm source or amp like the Hm801 they get magical. Although after you mod these [I apprently over modded] they should sound ear gasmic with any warm source [my oDac and Lme49990 M Stage was much warmer than I thought :O] 

 

I still want to balance mine and drive her out of a LD MKVI+ with some Tung Sols! 

 

k, so you didn't do this instead

 

 

btw, are you still using stock earpad? I might buy a pair of L3000 earpad

 

*my source: WA6 + Schitt Bifrost

post #1086 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

 

k, so you didn't do this instead

 

 

btw, are you still using stock earpad? I might buy a pair of L3000 earpad

 

*my source: WA6 + Schitt Bifrost

 

gawd no I'm using L3000 pads and honestly, after I modded it, it sounded like a closed DT 880 with a touch of woody mids, which is wonderful! I'm very excited actually to get a tube for it soon as it would be really wonderful then! As the mids still remain slighty forward after modding. All in all, they are like a beautiful Wooden Picture Frame, they really like a little color and handle color wonderfully well! Again i find them to be magical with the analog sound of the Hm 801, :D [more so than the dt 880 out of the hm801] 

 

and no I did not put any dynamt on the drivers. 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/28/13 at 1:02pm
post #1087 of 1847

I love these headphones. I've had them for awhile, they sound good without an amp or dac (though when I tested them with those things they scaled up very well). Now I am looking for an amp/dac set-up that would work. I've skimmed through a lot of pages in this thread and looked online, but I can't seem to find the general consensus. It seems most people like the HE5, but another review said the HE5 made them sound muddy. Is shiite enough for them? For a long time I was sold on the WA6 until somebody else said it took a lot of money spent on tubes to find the sound they liked. Out of curiosity, which amp/dac set up has worked for you guys?

 

Another thing I'm trying to do is mod the headphones so they actually fit my head. At present, they are far too wide and slide down towards my neck if I don't adjust them constantly. That's my only major complaint. If I prevent the piece that sits on your head from rotating up, they fit fine. I would like a better way to do this than taping stuff to block it. Any ideas?

post #1088 of 1847

Some people with the W3000ANV were putting rubber bands joining the two arms (on the headphones) above the head.

post #1089 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
 

Some people with the W3000ANV were putting rubber bands joining the two arms (on the headphones) above the head.

 

Yea ppl do that with most of the Wing System cans if they experince fit issues

 

and honestly, I found the w1000x to sound REALLY nice out of JUST the Hm801 :O, so the 801 really proves it's worth as a TOTL Dap :3 [screw u Hm 901 xD ]

 

That said... I'm looking at grabbing a RSA Balanced f-35 in the Winter, if it's good for iems it should pair nice with a balanced w1000x, not to mention the joy of the hm801 must be maintained! The color of my Pb1 actually makes the w1000x sound thin :O that was a shocker to me! 

post #1090 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

 

k, so you didn't do this instead

 

 

btw, are you still using stock earpad? I might buy a pair of L3000 earpad

 

*my source: WA6 + Schitt Bifrost

 

I went even further than that. I put dynamat even on the plastic enclosure of the driver.

 

And then I did some more on top of that.

 

Excessive dynamat == excessive dampening == far cleaner sound than stock.

 

I could never figure out how to make the treble less peaky, though. If I could, the W1000X would have been close to perfect. A bit more clamping force and better fit would make it perfect.

post #1091 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

 

I went even further than that. I put dynamat even on the plastic enclosure of the driver.

 

And then I did some more on top of that.

 

Excessive dynamat == excessive dampening == far cleaner sound than stock.

 

I could never figure out how to make the treble less peaky, though. If I could, the W1000X would have been close to perfect. A bit more clamping force and better fit would make it perfect.

 

I don't think I'd like it THAT clean. It already sounds un godly thin out of my 10ES2, I might over mod it when I get a tube though For now I enjoy the peaky treble and I enjoy it out of the hm801 very much :3 

post #1092 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

 

I went even further than that. I put dynamat even on the plastic enclosure of the driver.

 

And then I did some more on top of that.

 

Excessive dynamat == excessive dampening == far cleaner sound than stock.

 

I could never figure out how to make the treble less peaky, though. If I could, the W1000X would have been close to perfect. A bit more clamping force and better fit would make it perfect.

 

so in your personal opinion, the original purrin's mod is a bit conservative and could be pushed more

post #1093 of 1847

my dynamat is on the way and also the L3000 earpad, the last thing I need to know is what type of screwdriver do I need? I might not have it right now...

 

oh by the way, does making it clean loses some of the details, like a side effect


Edited by graphic - 9/30/13 at 7:45pm
post #1094 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

my dynamat is on the way and also the L3000 earpad, the last thing I need to know is what type of screwdriver do I need? I might not have it right now...

 

oh by the way, what you guys mean by "clean"? if you would call "muddy" as an opposite side of "clean" then I think w1000x is really clean(clear?) by itself, or I probably misunderstand it

 

As stock it has a little too much decay, the Purrin Mod + L3000 pads render it sounding about like the K550 and other closed cans on that level of linear sound, yet it still retains it's unique blanced sound signiture and the slight touch of woody resonnance. I don't think OVER modding it would leave me with something enjoyable... as it stands it's almost as clean as the Dt 880... which is a double edge sword imo 

 

although I will say this, I've noticed my Beyer open cans has what I would called "delicate mids" good tone, SHARP attack and very lean decay, the W1000x is teh only closed can I've heard to capture that delicate nature, and yet still have intimacy :O 

 

Also the Dt 880... got a smidge darker when I balanced it, so I would assume the w1000x balanced out [on low gain] from what I hope will be a new RSA F-35 [in my possesion] will retain the warmth of the Hm801 and add the additional mid weight that comes from the extra sound stage of balancing. As balancing widens the sound stage and really further tightens the sound sig! 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/30/13 at 7:48pm
post #1095 of 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic View Post
 

my dynamat is on the way and also the L3000 earpad, the last thing I need to know is what type of screwdriver do I need? I might not have it right now...

 

oh by the way, does making it clean loses some of the details, like a side effect

 

I used this precision screwdriver set from Husky: 

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Precision-Screwdriver-Kit/dp/B0006JLLMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380599147&sr=8-3&keywords=husky+screwdriver+set

 

Don't use anything cheaper. The material I used was thinner than Dynamat, so you would only need to apply smaller strips to get the same effect. The point is to experiment and tweak according to personal taste. I wanted to clean things up a little bit without messing with the W1000's character too much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread!