Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro - Page 7

post #91 of 184
warp08: Can you tell me more on that experience? I am currently a TF10 user and going back and forth between 13 and 16. I emailed Jaime and he forwarded my concerns to Jerry, who said 13 would give me more bass impact than TF10, and 16 would give me much more bass impact than TF10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
...I was using TWAgged TF10s for several weeks until my preorder was finally fulfilled by JHA. The sound signature of the TF10s is more balanced...
post #92 of 184
Hey warp, when you get a chance could you address the questions I had in this post? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post6594394

Thanks.
post #93 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Hey HeadphoneAddict, would you say the JH13 Pro's bass is just right compared to everything you listened to? In terms of extension to the lowest notes ( 20hz ), speed, detail, texture and impact? Thanks for your response.
I would say the bass is just right, but if done properly one can have more impact and oomph in an IEM without upsetting things. Everything I read about the JH16Pro says they did the bump right, vs the UE11Pro which can be boomy at times.
post #94 of 184
I can't wait for the bass
post #95 of 184
Great review Warp08, im soon coming out with my own little review. Just need more time with these babies
post #96 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
I can speak to that since I still own a pair of SE530s. You have touched on a very important point. What sound signature are you currently used to? The Shures are exact polar opposites to a certain extent to both JH1x Pros so I'm not surprised on your initial reaction. I remember somebody on the forum bought a pair of JH13s after listening to nothing but a pair of superEQ'd cheap earbuds (can't remember what kind). His first posting about the JH13s were downright negative. He was encouraged to listen to them more and his severely distorted aural sense of balance was slowly restored.

My initial exposure to the JH16s was somewhat less drastic, since I was using TWAgged TF10s for several weeks until my preorder was finally fulfilled by JHA. The sound signature of the TF10s is more balanced, closer to that of the JHx IEMs so my adjustment was a bit smoother.
yep, that's what I thought too. I currently listen to se530 out of an iphone 3GS unamped. They sound not bad, really, but when I add an amplifier in the middle (I've tried many including P-51 and iQube), the bass is just fuller and more present. I was okay with the 3GS bass till I heard it amped. After that whenever I listen to my setup I'd weep for how feeble it sounds

when I heard the 13 demos (with the 3GS unamped), I couldnt help bursting out laughing. I mean, THIS is how music is supposed to sound like! The music just sounds different. I dont know if it's the frequency balance or something else, but it just sounds RIGHT and natural. I was enjoying how my rock n roll sounds, but when I switched to hip hop, holy cow, the bass was big. Bigger than what I'm comfortable with. Maybe I just need to get used to the sound more. But really, the short listening session left a very deep impression on me. My next upgrade in sound (which is soon )would be either the 13 or the 16. I'll try them extensively once my exams are over and the 16 demos arrive at jaben, my local audiophile dealer

BTW, can you please give me the link to the thread? I'd very much like to read the guy's thoughts. If it's the JH-13 appreciation thread, can you give me the page if possible? The thread is huge. Thanks!
post #97 of 184
I find this interesting. In Jude's comparison of the 13's and 16's he said
" Listening to music with little to no content below 100Hz results in a virtual toss-up between the JH13 Pro and the JH16 Pro, though still they're not exactly the same (but close enough to, again, be a virtual toss-up). Treble performance, by the way--one of the JH13 Pro's great strengths--is just as good with the JH16 Pro, with all the detail, extension and shimmer of the JH13. "

But in Warp's comparison he is hearing sonic differences in frequencies other than the bass, hmmm...
In one of the many comparisons he said:
JH13: "Good bass tonality and transparency. Bass is not overpowering, just present. Piano solo nicely rendered in midrange. Percussion lives in the background, sometimes seems missing. This is a robustly rendered recording, but forward sounding. Sounds like the whole track lives between lower and upper midrange spectrum. What happened to cymbals?

JH16: Awesome dynamic in opening sequence. Lushness all over, cymbals are back. Lenny’s singing no longer carries the entire tracking. Piano and bass harmonics allow picturing of an expansive local, missing from the previous representation. I think the extended headroom is paying off here big time! Interestingly, Lenny sounds like a carbon copy from the previous JH13 session. Overall, far more emotional representation of the atmosphere, truly musical. Bravo!"

Here's another comparison:

" Dynamic Test - Best of Chesky Jazz, Vol 2

JH16: Smashing drum solo, perfectly rendered.

JH13: Starts up identically until about 45 seconds.Less robust, tuned more towards cymbals and treble emphasis. A good copy, but not convincing.

Winner: JH16 "

I'm lost now, how is this possible?, the other minute ago the 13's didn't render cymbals now it's showing a preference for cymbals. I'm confused? =/
post #98 of 184
Every single review seems to favor the JH16 over the JH13. I think that we have a winner.
post #99 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
Every single review seems to favor the JH16 over the JH13. I think that we have a winner.
They have been 2 so far, lol. By the way, do you have the 13's or the 16's or are you just typing because you have fingers?

Also, I would take Boomana's advice:
post #100 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
They have been 2 so far, lol. By the way, do you have the 13's or the 16's or are you just typing because you have fingers?

Also, I would take Boomana's advice:
This is not the second time
post #101 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
I'm lost now, how is this possible?, the other minute ago the 13's didn't render cymbals now it's showing a preference for cymbals. I'm confused? =/
thats what happens when you only have 12 drivers.
post #102 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
They have been 2 so far, lol. By the way, do you have the 13's or the 16's or are you just typing because you have fingers?
That's still every review (so far)
post #103 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
Every single review seems to favor the JH16 over the JH13. I think that we have a winner.
Both review say that it is about preferencis, lets take what warp write here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
I'll be keeping both of them as well and use the JH13s primarily for classical and new age listening.
I think there is no clear winner, as kobayashi are trying to say.
post #104 of 184
I think that perceptions may play a big part in the issue of a winner. Aside from the 2 reviews, there are also a couple of people on here who perceive their JH16s as having too little treble.

It reminds me of how some people find the UE Triple-fis to have terribly recessed mids whereas I am awed by the treble detail so it doesn't bother me.

In other words, whether the extra bass on the JH16s is perceived to diminish the impact of the terble may vary from person to person - making the issue of a clear winner uncertain.
post #105 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
I don't have to hear the 16's, because it's a proven fact the JH16's has more bass presence than the 13's not better bass quality. Jerry Harvey himself who's opinion matters the most says the 16's doesn't offer anymore detail in any frequency over the 13's. The 16's is just more bass heavy. The 13's bass to me and many others is monstrous. Adding anymore bass is entering bass-head territory like someone said earlier. I know for a fact I wouldn't like the 16's because the bass would be in the way of the presentation so therefore I'm not going to buy it. I can buy it right now, but I'm not going to spend $1,150 for the same sound that I'm hearing with more bass. I can use an EQ for that and I wouldn't dare touch an EQ with my 13's. There is nothing that needs reducing or boosting in terms of frequency response. But, I don't want to start an argument here. So, that is what I have to say, the 13's are not lacking in bass at all the 16's just add more bass for those who like more bass. But, I see a misconception growing here where people think the 13's bass is lacking and that is faaaar from true. The 13's has bass in spades. Enjoy your gear guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Ok, let's make this simpler. The 13's bass is sometimes overpowering but most of the time just right. The 16's are proven to have more bass than the 13's so therefore I can say the 16's have too much bass without hearing it. Get it? =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
It doesn't have to over power the frequency, but it can still bring too much attention upon itself. I don't want a frequency standing out saying hey look at me!! =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Would you say the 16's have more sub-bass, mid-bass or both than the 13's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Hey HeadphoneAddict, would you say the JH13 Pro's bass is just right compared to everything you listened to? In terms of extension to the lowest notes ( 20hz ), speed, detail, texture and impact? Thanks for your response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
They have been 2 so far, lol. By the way, do you have the 13's or the 16's or are you just typing because you have fingers?

Also, I would take Boomana's advice
can you please stop polluting this thread with your meaningless speculations about jh16?you should yourself take Boomana's advice"if you haven't heard it,DONT comment on it!"
you said at the begining of this thread that you like the neutrality of jh13 and you know you wouldn't like jh16,so why do you keep asking about it's bass and stating things that are not true just because you imagine how they would sound??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro