Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro - Page 6

post #76 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post
There's no need to defend the 13s, there's a massive thread full of people who love them and find nothing wrong with them. I'm sure they're still at least in the top 3 of IEMs. But you can't assume that the 16's bass overpowers the other frequencies, especially when the 2 most detailed reviews of the 16 specifically say that's not the case. It seems Jerry went out of his way to avoid any improper bass bleeding with the extra bore and additional tuning.
It doesn't have to over power the frequency, but it can still bring too much attention upon itself. I don't want a frequency standing out saying hey look at me!! =)
post #77 of 184
Hey, Warp? What is listening level on the volume knob on the Protector? Like 7 o' clock, 4 o' clock. Thanks! I just found out something, low volume listening leaves me wanting more bass from the JH13's because it's how humans hear. But, when I bring the volume up everything sounds balanced. I didn't have this issue with the ALO Rx...The Protector is bass light...Let me let it burn in some more I guess.
post #78 of 184
You keep throwing around the term basshead, but what is a basshead? Is the term basshead coming from a person who thinks the RE0 has plenty of bass? It's kind of important to know what your preference for bass is.
post #79 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntropic View Post
You keep throwing around the term basshead, but what is a basshead? Is the term basshead coming from a person who thinks the RE0 has plenty of bass? It's kind of important to know what your preference for bass is.
A basshead is a person who prefers more bass even when the bass is at the same level as the midrange and treble to their hearing.
post #80 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Hey, Warp? What is listening level on the volume knob on the Protector? Like 7 o' clock, 4 o' clock. Thanks! I just found out something, low volume listening leaves me wanting more bass from the JH13's because it's how humans hear. But, when I bring the volume up everything sounds balanced. I didn't have this issue with the ALO Rx...The Protector is bass light...Let me let it burn in some more I guess.
The listening level I've used for the comparison was between 10-11 o'clock, balanced. When I tried the Protector in S/E mode, it required more power to achieve a similar sound level. The keyword here is "balanced."

At no point would I characterize the Protector being bass light in balanced mode, not even fresh out of the box. The ALO RX, as I remember, had a somewhat similar sound signature to my TTVJ Slim, somewhat warmer, tube-like. That's vastly different when compared against the Protector.

Additional burn-in should help in any case, if I remember, Ray recommended a 200-hour cycle probably because of the balanced op-amp. The amount of detail and instrument separation I get from mine is amazing, but sometimes I prefer the TTVJ's sound signature, depending on the music.

Hope this helps.
post #81 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
The listening level I've used for the comparison was between 10-11 o'clock, balanced. When I tried the Protector in S/E mode, it required more power to achieve a similar sound level. The keyword here is "balanced."

At no point would I characterize the Protector being bass light in balanced mode, not even fresh out of the box. The ALO RX, as I remember, had a somewhat similar sound signature to my TTVJ Slim, somewhat warmer, tube-like. That's vastly different when compared against the Protector.

Additional burn-in should help in any case, if I remember, Ray recommended a 200-hour cycle probably because of the balanced op-amp. The amount of detail and instrument separation I get from mine is amazing, but sometimes I prefer the TTVJ's sound signature, depending on the music.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
post #82 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
The listening level I've used for the comparison was between 10-11 o'clock, balanced. When I tried the Protector in S/E mode, it required more power to achieve a similar sound level. The keyword here is "balanced."

At no point would I characterize the Protector being bass light in balanced mode, not even fresh out of the box. The ALO RX, as I remember, had a somewhat similar sound signature to my TTVJ Slim, somewhat warmer, tube-like. That's vastly different when compared against the Protector.

Additional burn-in should help in any case, if I remember, Ray recommended a 200-hour cycle probably because of the balanced op-amp. The amount of detail and instrument separation I get from mine is amazing, but sometimes I prefer the TTVJ's sound signature, depending on the music.

Hope this helps.
Would you say the 16's have more sub-bass, mid-bass or both than the 13's?
post #83 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
A basshead is a person who prefers more bass even when the bass is at the same level as the midrange and treble to their hearing.
I would say a basshead is a person who prefers more bass than what is actually supposed to be presented by the typical well mastered and neutral recording. Or maybe a person who prefers more bass than 2 std deviations above the average listener (bell curve).
post #84 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I would say a basshead is a person who prefers more bass than what is actually supposed to be presented by the typical well mastered and neutral recording. Or maybe a person who prefers more bass than 2 std deviations above the average listener (bell curve).
Hey HeadphoneAddict, would you say the JH13 Pro's bass is just right compared to everything you listened to? In terms of extension to the lowest notes ( 20hz ), speed, detail, texture and impact? Thanks for your response.
post #85 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post
There's no need to defend the 13s, there's a massive thread full of people who love them and find nothing wrong with them. I'm sure they're still at least in the top 3 of IEMs. But you can't assume that the 16's bass overpowers the other frequencies, especially when the 2 most detailed reviews of the 16 specifically say that's not the case. It seems Jerry went out of his way to avoid any improper bass bleeding with the extra bore and additional tuning.
I agree. I'm one of them, except that I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford and use both. They are both excellent in their own right and continue to be sold side by side even though the price difference is negligible. It is simply a matter of preference, both personal as well as how each of them might interface with the rest of the gear. I'm still amazed every time I put them on, just how amazing the SQ they produce and enjoy every minute of it.
post #86 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Would you say the 16's have more sub-bass, mid-bass or both than the 13's?
Honestly, I'm not sure, since it's been days since the review. If I had to make an educated guess, more sub-bass. However, if you're thinking 2x overall bass compared to the JH13s due to the double-double bass drivers in the JH16s, you would be way off, at least by my ears. My hearing does extend to at least 20Hz.
post #87 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure, since it's been days since the review. If I had to make an educated guess, more sub-bass. However, if you're thinking 2x overall bass compared to the JH13s due to the double-double bass drivers in the JH16s, you would be way off, at least by my ears. My hearing does extend to at least 20Hz.
Oh no, lol, I know it's not 2x more bass that would unlistenable. I was told there was about a 3db increase in the sub-bass and tad bit more mid-bass but wanted to hear what you thought.. Thanks!
post #88 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikoken View Post

I'll make sure to try the 16 first before dropping the bomb on the 13. Heard the 13 last week. Un-farking-believable, except as you said it has a touch too much bass. Well I come from a bass-light shure se530, so I may just not be used to it
I can speak to that since I still own a pair of SE530s. You have touched on a very important point. What sound signature are you currently used to? The Shures are exact polar opposites to a certain extent to both JH1x Pros so I'm not surprised on your initial reaction. I remember somebody on the forum bought a pair of JH13s after listening to nothing but a pair of superEQ'd cheap earbuds (can't remember what kind). His first posting about the JH13s were downright negative. He was encouraged to listen to them more and his severely distorted aural sense of balance was slowly restored.

My initial exposure to the JH16s was somewhat less drastic, since I was using TWAgged TF10s for several weeks until my preorder was finally fulfilled by JHA. The sound signature of the TF10s is more balanced, closer to that of the JHx IEMs so my adjustment was a bit smoother.
post #89 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
Oh no, lol, I know it's not 2x more bass that would unlistenable. I was told there was about a 3db increase in the sub-bass and tad bit more mid-bass but wanted to hear what you thought.. Thanks!
Sure. Do you remember at one point JHA saying on their Facebook wall that the JH13/16 actually use different drivers? If it's true, I wonder why? You'd think if it was just a bit of headroom increase and a bump in sub- or mid-bass level with less distortion due to the extra bore and the quad-bass cluster, Jerry would have kept the JH13 drivers, maybe a different or differently tuned crossover.

Anyway, I was just wondering if memory served correctly. If the drivers are indeed different, that would explain in my mind at least, the sonic differences I'm hearing.
post #90 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
Sure. Do you remember at one point JHA saying on their Facebook wall that the JH13/16 actually use different drivers? If it's true, I wonder why? You'd think if it was just a bit of headroom increase and a bump in sub- or mid-bass level with less distortion due to the extra bore and the quad-bass cluster, Jerry would have kept the JH13 drivers, maybe a different or differently tuned crossover.

Anyway, I was just wondering if memory served correctly. If the drivers are indeed different, that would explain in my mind at least, the sonic differences I'm hearing.
The triple bore, how do you go about inserting the wax removal tool? The bores are a lot smaller.

The reason he used different drivers is because the drivers in the JH13's were built from the ground for their specific frequencies and working with that crossover. With the addition of 2 more bass drivers the crossover needed to be re-done therefore new drivers needed to be created. The speakers in the JH13's and 16's are custom made.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro