Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro - Page 3

post #31 of 184
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the positive comments, guys, I'm glad you were able to get something out of it.

I'm thinking the next project may be a single/ended comparison between the TTVJ Slim and the Pico Slim. I've placed a pre-order for the Pico Slim yesterday, so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Even though relatively few people seem to own the TTVJ Slim compared to other amps, it is a great sounding amp and has similar characteristics to that of the ALO RX.

The primary benefit could be to see how these IEMs perform from using non-balanced op-amps in terms of instrument separation, soundstage, transparency and dynamic transients without the added "bandwidth" a balanced setup provides.
post #32 of 184
Thanks for the review @warp08! Now you should change to a new avatar which includes JH13 and Jh16
post #33 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
Thanks for the positive comments, guys, I'm glad you were able to get something out of it.

I'm thinking the next project may be a single/ended comparison between the TTVJ Slim and the Pico Slim. I've placed a pre-order for the Pico Slim yesterday, so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
Well, I think at the rate it goes, you might even need to wait till June/July/August before you get the Pico Slim.
post #34 of 184
Excellent review/comparison!
post #35 of 184
Good review but care to do the same but with a none "audiophile" album aka normal music ?.
post #36 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post
Good review but care to do the same but with a none "audiophile" album aka normal music ?.
I'm not sure what your definition of "normal music" is, perhaps you'd like to list a few sample tracks of them for me to get an idea.

In general, however, most audiophile characteristics of SQ can only be demonstrated reliably by carefully recorded, mastered and selected reference tracks typically by either high-quality studio recording with a single mic or live performances with minimum post production. For example, most of today's recording technologies are frequently made with artificial depth of certain tracks added to the recording this way. So, in the end, you have no baseline against which you can compare how your own system is capable of true-to-life reproduction.

For example, the Head-Fi/HDtracks Headphone System Test Album (link above in the page header) comes with a PDF containing liner notes describing the recording setting and the desired sound signature details you should be specifically listening for to be able to judge whether or not your system passed that particular test.

I hope this explains a bit why it was necessary to use a Test Album to push my system to its limits.
post #37 of 184
Very, very good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi126 View Post
Great review!
Makes my stomach itch just thinking what I am might missing, but no way I'm buying the 16's.
I really should avoid head-fi.
My sentiments as well although I am pretty sure that with my sound preferences I have made the right choice with the 13
post #38 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post
I'm not sure what your definition of "normal music" is, perhaps you'd like to list a few sample tracks of them for me to get an idea.

In general, however, most audiophile characteristics of SQ can only be demonstrated reliably by carefully recorded, mastered and selected reference tracks typically by either high-quality studio recording with a single mic or live performances with minimum post production. For example, most of today's recording technologies are frequently made with artificial depth of certain tracks added to the recording this way. So, in the end, you have no baseline against which you can compare how your own system is capable of true-to-life reproduction.

For example, the Head-Fi/HDtracks Headphone System Test Album (link above in the page header) comes with a PDF containing liner notes describing the recording setting and the desired sound signature details you should be specifically listening for to be able to judge whether or not your system passed that particular test.

I hope this explains a bit why it was necessary to use a Test Album to push my system to its limits.
Thats all nice but what I mean is, maybe like me some want to know how the jh13 and jh16 compares with ordinary music not that audiophile records, I will not be listening to testing tracks or only perfect records. For example myself I like dave matthews band,radiohead etc ..
Ofc if you don't feel like doing it you don't have to.
post #39 of 184
X2. Please. I would like to know this as well.
post #40 of 184
Nice review!
Very interested in hearing your impressions of the TTVJ Slim..
post #41 of 184
Would you mind doing a few more A-B's of classical recordings? Because I was reading Kiwirugby's comment here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/j...ml#post6589270

about the JH13 occasionally having a bit TOO MUCH bass for his classical pieces, and I had to say that I almost agreed. Almost. But given that the JH16 has an even greater bass hump, I would think it might be an issue.
post #42 of 184
Thanks for the awesome review!
Comments and discussions are very useful too!!
post #43 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post
Thats all nice but what I mean is, maybe like me some want to know how the jh13 and jh16 compares with ordinary music not that audiophile records, I will not be listening to testing tracks or only perfect records. For example myself I like dave matthews band,radiohead etc ..
Ofc if you don't feel like doing it you don't have to.
I don't have Radiohead, but I do have some Dave Matthews. Let me fish it out over the weekend and post a few impressions.
post #44 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVU View Post
Would you mind doing a few more A-B's of classical recordings? Because I was reading Kiwirugby's comment here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/j...ml#post6589270

about the JH13 occasionally having a bit TOO MUCH bass for his classical pieces, and I had to say that I almost agreed. Almost. But given that the JH16 has an even greater bass hump, I would think it might be an issue.
I guess it depends on the type of classical music and the rest of the chain (DAC/AMP/IC). The only classical track on the Chesky Test Album was this:

Focus: Vivaldi - Flute Concerto in D

JH16: Beautiful rendering overall, flute solo is mesmerizing, including the palpable feeling of air blown into the instrument. Spacious soundstage.

JH13: Move along, nothing to see here...if there is any difference in this presentation between these two customs, I could not hear them.

Winner: N/A - draw

Again, I would not automatically assume that the JH16 Pro will automatically add bass where it's not needed. Yes, the capability is there, but it depends on the source material and, the rest of the chain (components). Case in point, during the Vivaldi piece the reproduction was (to me) on par. No booming bass, just beautiful flute and accompaniment.
post #45 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Thanks for the review @warp08! Now you should change to a new avatar which includes JH13 and Jh16
LOL, then people would think I'm showing off

Do you think there aren't already enough earphones on that pic? I found that on Gizmodo a few months ago when they did a comparo of forty-three of them...ouch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro