Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Enjoying the music.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Enjoying the music. - Page 2

post #16 of 52
When the equipment is more important then the music, your doing it wrong.
post #17 of 52

YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post
Then hifi is not your hobby.

My hobby is hifi and along the way I get to listen to loads of music. Since there is no such thing as perfect reproduction, apart for the individual who is truly happy with their set up for all of their music, which means there has been a compromise, there is always room for a different listening experience and more experimenting with hifi.
Prog Rock Man, That has to be the most honest and factual confessions about "Our Hobby"....and I'm GUILTY also then, because it is our gear,or the appreciation of our friends systems! We know the MUSIC is the prize we're tryin' our hardest to reproduce with the tools of our HI-FI Hobby! We use tweek stuff, amps, turntables, CD Players, speakers, cables and Our HEADPHONES,etc.etc. I know I love my 300b amps glowing, and I drooled over bubu1 HD800s at the dayton meet!! You have set the truth free, HI-FI and the art of putting together a musical pleasing system is something I think we are proud of and are always wondering how to improve on "IT"!
post #18 of 52
I think the easiest way to answer this:

it depends.

Honestly . . . some systems strike a chord with us personally even if they aren't great. Some that are great can sound horrible to some of us. The only thing you can do is listen and either smile or cringe when you get down to it.
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post
Then hifi is not your hobby.

My hobby is hifi and along the way I get to listen to loads of music. Since there is no such thing as perfect reproduction, apart for the individual who is truly happy with their set up for all of their music, which means there has been a compromise, there is always room for a different listening experience and more experimenting with hifi.
I agree. Obviously it makes no sense to keep gear that makes no improvement to your musical experience, but for me part of the the hobby is very much listening to and admiring the equipment designer's work. A fusion of art and engineering.

I mean, someone could say 'I don't care as long as what I'm hearing is good" and that's alright, but the stuff inside gear isn't fairy dust. Every design decision the designer makes cause those differences. Therefore, owning the world's first radial driver headphone, for example, makes a difference for me. In addition, I would pay a bit more for a nicer case, that's just a matter of materials/$.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
When the equipment is more important then the music, your doing it wrong.
I disagree, when hifi is your hobby then the equipment is more important. Otherwise join a forum on music.
post #21 of 52
Some tracks sound good even when actually sounding bad for your standard of music sound, call it a quality. Yet it is possible to hear music sound unbearably bad, when that happens I prefer to go, it rarely happens though.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post
Then hifi is not your hobby.

My hobby is hifi and along the way I get to listen to loads of music. Since there is no such thing as perfect reproduction, apart for the individual who is truly happy with their set up for all of their music, which means there has been a compromise, there is always room for a different listening experience and more experimenting with hifi.
I agree. music and Hi-Fi is two seperated things (that also go together).
music is made from notes and rythems which our brain analyses. Hi-Fi is the way we choose to listen to that music...in Hi definition.
I personally is a great lover of music,I also play the piano and guitar. so I wouldn't mind somtimes to listen to music through a not ideal system,but when I want it to be Hi-Fi the system is important.

I have some albums that i listen to only because i think they sound very good,I don't care so much for the music. and on the opposite side,I also have albums that I really love the music and they don't sound so good...but i listen to them anyway.
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post
I disagree, when hifi is your hobby then the equipment is more important. Otherwise join a forum on music.
Your statement sounds alluring, but I fundamentally disagree with it.

Without the music, there would be no basis for drooling about the equipment and what it can do for my listening pleasure and that revolves around the music. So for me, the music forms the center and I still love the equipment and the whole business of hifi sound.

I guess if one finds the equipment more important, then that forms another basis for my being on the same discussion list as he is. However, to say that hi-fi isn't a hobby for me, that's laughable..... I know that my wife would laugh at that.
post #24 of 52
I don't understand how hi-fi can be your hobby when you're paying for equipment other people designed. If I said model planes are my hobby, but all I did was buy finished products, people would look at me funny.

There is a reason people want fidelity. For me it's because I want to hear exactly what was intended, exactly what the person who wrote the piece intended. I couldn't care less if a piece of clay were all I needed to do that.

I think, sadly, many people here's main hobby is just shopping. It would be appropriate enough if people were just perfectionists and wanted to design the perfect equipment for sound reproduction, that's legitimate. But just buying stuff... Sorry, but I look down on people for that.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I don't understand how hi-fi can be your hobby when you're paying for equipment other people designed. If I said model planes are my hobby, but all I did was buy finished products, people would look at me funny.

There is a reason people want fidelity. For me it's because I want to hear exactly what was intended, exactly what the person who wrote the piece intended. I couldn't care less if a piece of clay were all I needed to do that.

I think, sadly, many people here's main hobby is just shopping. It would be appropriate enough if people were just perfectionists and wanted to design the perfect equipment for sound reproduction, that's legitimate. But just buying stuff... Sorry, but I look down on people for that.
Another interesting perspective.

It seems clear that we each focus on particular aspects of an area of interest which in this case, is hi-fi music reproduction. I may be reading too much into your first paragraph, but to consider those uninterested in building an amp or DAC to be just lovers of shopping is downright silly, now isn't it? Don't let the spendthrifts that come and go confuse you. Spendthrifts come in many shapes and forms and justify their spending in many ways including on components to build their next DIY amp.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I don't understand how hi-fi can be your hobby when you're paying for equipment other people designed. If I said model planes are my hobby, but all I did was buy finished products, people would look at me funny.

There is a reason people want fidelity. For me it's because I want to hear exactly what was intended, exactly what the person who wrote the piece intended. I couldn't care less if a piece of clay were all I needed to do that.

I think, sadly, many people here's main hobby is just shopping. It would be appropriate enough if people were just perfectionists and wanted to design the perfect equipment for sound reproduction, that's legitimate. But just buying stuff... Sorry, but I look down on people for that.
nobody likes to spend his precious money. people buy different gear because they want to experiment until they find their sweet spot and can finaly lay back and enjoy the hobby. experimenting is one of the most important aspects in this hobby.

for me,HIfi was never hearing the music as the composer/engineer intented to be,but just getting the sound i like,shape the sound if you want.
that's the reason i like headphones like RS1 and D5000.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I don't understand how hi-fi can be your hobby when you're paying for equipment other people designed. If I said model planes are my hobby, but all I did was buy finished products, people would look at me funny.

There is a reason people want fidelity. For me it's because I want to hear exactly what was intended, exactly what the person who wrote the piece intended. I couldn't care less if a piece of clay were all I needed to do that.

I think, sadly, many people here's main hobby is just shopping. It would be appropriate enough if people were just perfectionists and wanted to design the perfect equipment for sound reproduction, that's legitimate. But just buying stuff... Sorry, but I look down on people for that.
Great post and a reason why I have taken further steps to develop this hobby.

Firstly I have been learning and reading and posting about the issue of jitter. So rather than just speculating and generally chatting about such topics, I have taken it a step further. Secondly, I have started to make my own cables and intend to make my own kit.

With regards to hifi and music. Yes they go together, but hifi is about the kit. I eat fish, but fishing is not a hobby of mine. Others are fishing fanatics and throw back all the fish they catch. Fish and fishing go together, but are fundamentally different.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post
With regards to hifi and music. Yes they go together, but hifi is about the kit. I eat fish, but fishing is not a hobby of mine. Others are fishing fanatics and throw back all the fish they catch. Fish and fishing go together, but are fundamentally different.
Haha. I know many a fisher and they don't build their fishing rods or boats. They buy them. They have collections of rods, none of which they personally built. I don't know what your issue is other than you personally like the DIY aspect of producing HiFi sound, a special dimension of a hobby that you have particular interest in. Don't knock other HiFi hobbyist for not sharing a similar interest in that aspect of this hobby. Knock yourself out building your cables, but don't get snobby about it.
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
Haha. I know many a fisher and they don't build their fishing rods or boats. They buy them. They have collections of rods, none of which they personally built. I don't know what your issue is other than you personally like the DIY aspect of producing HiFi sound, a special dimension of a hobby that you have particular interest in. Don't knock other HiFi hobbyist for not sharing a similar interest in that aspect of this hobby. Knock yourself out building your cables, but don't get snobby about it.
All I did was describe how I have developed this hobby for myself. I have done exactly the same as many others, nothing different or special. I did not say anything about others having to do the same, a claim which you have made up to support your untrue claim about me knocking others and getting snobby.
post #30 of 52
guys...there are no rules for this hobby and everything is allowed, let's live and let live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Enjoying the music.