or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cowon J3 Impressions Thread - Page 210

post #3136 of 3149

I came here to ask about something like this and the price of sending it to Cown and let then "refresh" my J3 isn't right in my opinion.

Massive thanks!

post #3137 of 3149

I feel I should reiterate the importance of replacing the battery in the J3 only with a genuine Sony BA700 battery, not a copy battery. This is because many copy batteries have fake protection circuits, which means they can potentially explode, or, at the very least, fail quite soon. Even 'branded' copy batteries often have very dodgy quality.

 

You need to be careful that even if sellers say 'Sony BA700 replacement battery', they may be being deliberately ambiguous to trick you into buying a fake battery to 'replace' a Sony BA700. If you're not sure, then ask the seller and check their feedback carefully.

 

If you can't find a brand new genuine Sony BA700 battery, then it is definitely better to buy a secondhand genuine Sony BA700 battery rather than a brand new fake battery.

 

There are sellers on eBay selling secondhand genuine Sony BA700 batteries. I bought one of these genuine secondhand batteries and it works great. They're quite cheap and it's easy to buy a spare.

post #3138 of 3149

Glad to finally see my J3 last more than two hours on a single charge again over this past week and a half.  :cool: 

post #3139 of 3149
My battery lasts ages... ages since changing the battery. Days and days (seriously). My J3 runs a pair of Shure SE535 with hybrid copper / SPC cable and I love it. Even though I own other DAP's one would class higher performance I still need me some of that Cowon sound, and J3 is the one to own. Pick of the litter for its time. Something about laying down relaxing with the J3. Smooth..
Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/12/15 at 8:27am
post #3140 of 3149

J3 was my first serious DAP , I had it for 4 years and even though i have now sold it and upgraded to DX90 and don't miss it at all, i will always remember it fondly as it served me more than well

 

a fantastic DAP for its price (finding it here for 150$ is a steal imo) , thank you Cowon for all these musical moments :beerchug:

post #3141 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

My battery lasts ages... ages since changing the battery. Days and days (seriously). My J3 runs a pair of Shure SE535 with hybrid copper / SPC cable and I love it. Even though I own other DAP's one would class higher performance I still need me some of that Cowon sound, and J3 is the one to own. Pick of the litter for its time. Something about laying down relaxing with the J3. Smooth..

 

My J3 is rather old ... bought it used about two years ago ... and the battery doesn't seem to be degrading at all; I was considering doing the well known battery mod but I really only have to charge mine about every five days ... 

 

I too use it with a set of 535's ... I've found the various EQ settings really bring the Shures to life ... 

 

Here's what I use with the SE535's:

 

(I actually moved down to "4" for the MachBass setting ... but man do I love the subtle sub bass that effect adds to the really middle of the road/neutral sounding 535's):

 

...

 

 

 

post #3142 of 3149

I've never liked the Mach3Bass with anything I've ever had.  It just seems to fudge up the bass and roll it off.

post #3143 of 3149

Funny how different people hear different things, with the JetAudio software EQ suite.

 

Personally, I find BBE the worst option of them all - to my ears, it sounds grainy, coarse, fatiguing, unrealistic and congested.

 

But I agree that the Mach3Bass is underwhelming - I don't find it worthwhile, really. Mostly because I prefer a relatively neutral portrayal of music, but also because I suspect the J3s weedy 29mw power output is probably insufficient to adequately achieve optimum driver diaphragm excursion with boosted bass.

post #3144 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

 

My J3 is rather old ... bought it used about two years ago ... and the battery doesn't seem to be degrading at all; I was considering doing the well known battery mod but I really only have to charge mine about every five days ... 

 

I too use it with a set of 535's ... I've found the various EQ settings really bring the Shures to life ... 

 

Here's what I use with the SE535's:

 

(I actually moved down to "4" for the MachBass setting ... but man do I love the subtle sub bass that effect adds to the really middle of the road/neutral sounding 535's):

 

...

 

 

 

Thanks for the photos and info!

 

I used to use a lot of BBE especially when I first started out with Cowons, and I DO like what a little BBE does to SE535 as I was trying this last night before even reading your post, though I've kind of just listened flat for so long now I'm accustomed to it.

post #3145 of 3149

Hi Everyone-

 

I am new to the board, just started yesterday.

 

I just purchased an AK Jr. and I am now wanting to get rid of my Cowon J3.  It is in excellent condition, but I am not sure what it is worth, can anyone give me suggestions?  It would be with the original sync/charge cable, an after market case, but no micro sd card.

 

Or I was thinking I would like to trade it for something, is there a trading thread on here?  I was thinking maybe trading it for a FIIO X5, or a iBasso DX80/90?  Does that sound like a fair trade in value?

 

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks!

Ben

post #3146 of 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by angileri View Post

Hi Everyone-

I am new to the board, just started yesterday.

I just purchased an AK Jr. and I am now wanting to get rid of my Cowon J3.  It is in excellent condition, but I am not sure what it is worth, can anyone give me suggestions?  It would be with the original sync/charge cable, an after market case, but no micro sd card.

Or I was thinking I would like to trade it for something, is there a trading thread on here?  I was thinking maybe trading it for a FIIO X5, or a iBasso DX80/90?  Does that sound like a fair trade in value?

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben

Welcome to the forums.

We have a trading forum here or for sale section but you need certain requirements post count etc to list items there. You know, spammers, frauds etc.

Your Cowon J3 is probably worth about $100 - $120 USD these days, not quite worthy of a DX90 clean trade. Because of J3 age and so many new options it's not worth much anymore.

They still sell quite well on eBay though, still quite popular to mainstream buyers.
post #3147 of 3149
How does it compare to plenue d?
post #3148 of 3149

I still have mine - it's well-worn but still works and the battery life is still great. Waiting on the wretched LH Geek Wave still...so many daps have been released in the meantime, but I haven't taken the bait on any. The PlenueD looks good, as does the new Sony A35 - I'm going to sell the Wave as soon as I get it and probably get on or the other. Can't imagine not having great battery life....

post #3149 of 3149
Still have mine. It's probably the last pure dap I'll own. The improving sq of phones coupled with streaming services and other bonuses make daps obsolete for me. The j3 is still a great dap though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon J3 Impressions Thread