Awesome, maybe Head-Fi will bring bandoliers back into fashion.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCOWON J3 16 GB Portable Media Player (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productCOWON J3 8 GB Portable Media Player (White)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 7/13/10
- brandNationitetagged by System, 7/8/10
- productNationite S:Flo2tagged by System, 7/8/10
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 6/27/10
Related Forum Threads
- Order by sound quality Last post on 4/13/11 at 4:46pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable players recommendations Last post on 8/29/10 at 6:28am in Portable Source Gear
- Cowon S9 vs. J3 Last post on 9/27/11 at 7:01am in Portable Source Gear
- Cowon J3 Audio L/R function Last post on 3/7/11 at 2:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- stuck between sony x series, j3 and s:flo2 Last post on 3/8/11 at 4:27pm in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
This is the veteran ex-flagship model from FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) was released recently. The C435 is a 4 way crossover configuration, 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
Cowon J3 Impressions Thread - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I agree that the age of <8GB players has come and gone. Memory is relatively cheap these days.
However, I like those "silly big screens." It's just my thing I guess.
Well mine arrived today, very nice player - quite like the UI. Can't really comment on sound at this stage as I haven't listened to it enough.
MicroSDCH is quite handy, 32GB cards should become quite commonplace soon enough.
I'm debating whether or not to go with a 32 GB player like the S9 / ZuneHD / X 1061, or go with the 16GB J3 when the price drops.
Because with micro SD I have virtually unlimited storage and therefore endless possibilities. I have way more music in FLAC then the highest capacity *non-expandable* players. (flash based players that is) That means I'd have to swap out music from the player whenever I wanted to listen to different parts of my collection. With micro SD, I can create many different SD cards organized however I want (genre, mood, etc) just one time and simply swap the SD card as necessary. For these portables, SQ is my #1 concern, but the fact that the J3 has a big screen and will take SD unlike the S9 means that I could have about 3 or 4 full length movies per 16 gb card if I so choose. And micro SD is so small that I could fit them in the case, or perhaps in the case that the SE530's come in. (that I plan to buy at weeks end!)
But then you have the problem of breaking and/or losing your SD cards. The other issue is the write speed of MicroSD which is not nearly as fast as on-board memory.
I think that a 32-64GB on-board PMP with MicroSD slot is the dogs dangles. Why not make the on-board memory your favorite albums or a mix of great music and use the SD slot for other media?
You make a good argument SoulSyde. When I get my new player, also this week, I will get the max on-board memory. I agree on the speed, but I would think it is still faster than HDD players. I'm not so worried about breaking or losing sd cards - I'm kind of OCD with "stuff". My main point is that I doubt that I personally would buy a player that did not offer the option of SD expansion. That's why I was leaning so heavily toward the D2+ over the S9, but since the J3 will offer the SD slot, not to mention a design that is *not* curved in the back, I think I'm going to buy that instead.
Cowon seems to release the good stuff in Korea first and let the rest of the world wait. I had to wait for quite a while for the 32GB S9 to be released in Europe. If the same applies to the J3, the 32GB version might not be released until after the summer. But the prospect of a 64GB Cowon might be worth the wait...
I wouldn't hold your breath for a 64GB version any time soon. The only reason I'm waiting for the 32GB version is because it is listed on Cowon's Korean web site, however the 32GB is conveniently omitted from the US Cowon site.
Only time will tell.
Sorry, I didn't mean a J3 with 64GB of internal memory. I meant 32GB internal memory + 32GB MicroSD card.
Myself I will not get the J3. I have got the S9 and now my quota of modern DAP:s are full. I prefer to look for older, more obscure DAP:s.
What I meant was that even though the 32GB S9 was released in Korea in early 2009, it took a few months before it was available in Europe. I suspect that a similar scenario might be the case with the J3. Cowon releases the good stuff in Korea first.
Hope it doesn't take as long for it to be released in the rest of the world as was the case with the S9...
- Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 19 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 20 seconds ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 58 seconds ago
- › New Naim headphone amp/DAC 58 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › I need to replace my earphone pads, help? 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Beats User wants to upgrade to Best quality possible for $400 or... 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi