have you tried their e-mail customer support?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2)tagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- brandAudinsttagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudinst HUD-MX1tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/14/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just ordered an Audio-gd FUN Earth for my Denon HD2000 headphones Last post on 3/23/11 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC Last post on 1/30/11 at 10:56am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best $500 for K701s? Last post on 7/27/10 at 3:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
- Headphone Impedance
Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2) - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
woohoo, I got mine today! after two hours of listening I'm really liking it. especially the bass reproduction is what I like. refined and tight, but never bloated. but! if there is a heavier bass line it can show it too! listening to Ametsub's Peaks for Afield, or some James Blake EPs trough the Grado SR125is is really mind blowing. my other reference track Heard It All Before by Emíliana Torrini also shines. just like anything from Iron & Wine to Ólafur Arnalds, if it's well recorded*. I'm also very satisfied with the balance. overall it's a nice improvement after my M-audio audiophile 2496 PCI card.
I'm using it with my desktop pc, powered only by the USB cable, running windows xp, and using winamp+asio4all, because kernel streaming doesn't work.
is there anything else on the software side to do? (maybe upgrading to windows 7 later, but now I don't want to)
aslo, this stuff has a LOT of power. the volume knob is at the 3rd marker and it's completely enough. sometimes I go up to 3.5, but thats the maximum. is this normal? :D
*I really don't get this "Grados are for rock and metal" thing, it's just nonsense. it really depends on the production and not on the genre.
Edited by zenemano - 5/28/10 at 4:28am
I am new to this whole thing and am trying to figure out a good cheap DAC/Amp. I've already got a pair of Alessandro MS1i phones, but, as expected, the headphone-out of my laptop is lackluster at best. So, after spending many hours lurking and reading the many very informative reviews and opinions found herein, I've set my eye on the HUD-MX1. Would this be a good choice to pair up with the Alessandros or have I missed something and there's a much better choice to go with in this price range? My budget is 100-150£ and the Audinst seems to fit that perfectly.
we have very similar phones, and I'm quite pleased with this DAC. unfortunately I've never tried any other type. I could rely only on the reviews here and elsewhere, and for me it seemed this is the best for the price (with regard to it's components and other's expressions). after a month of hesitation between 5 different DACs I went with the Audinst, and I think I made the right decision.. I'd say go for it.
Just a quick correction: The position of the volume knob is not related to how much power something has, but what the gain has been set to. Sounds like the gain is set quite high on the MX1 and you have sensitive, low-impedance headphones.
yeah, that's true. also, I have low-impedance headphones, however, the gain in the DAC is set for 16-300 ohm phones.
just found it a little odd..
After 3 weeks of burn-in i can finally enjoy the sound i had payed for. Now I do believe in burn-in, it's not a myth and it can change dramatically the SQ.. Right out of the box Audinst sounded like an onboard realtek codec, after 3 days It reached the quality of an old XtremeMusic. Now, after 3 weeks of waiting, Audinst has finally blown creativ's soundcard away, in nearly everything.. I can finally enjoy classic music, but still, Asus STX did a better job, thus, i consider STX a much superior soundcard in terms of SQ (at least for Sennheiser HD 595 headphones).
And yes, I will recommend Audinst MX-1 to my friends. It's a very ergonomic and easy to use device with good (but not excellent) performance, very suitable for a laptop user. BUT, if you are a desktop PC user , go for Asus STX. You'll get better Sound Quality for the same price.
Edited by AlexRoma - 5/30/10 at 6:15am
Yeah, as soon as I got mine I hooked it up to my Caliente (which arrived first) so the amp section of my MX1 isn't really burned in. If what AlexRoma says is true, then there are several dozen hours to go. Perhaps when I go on vacation, I'll only take the MX1 with me and the amp will get its fair share of use. As it is right now, though, it's a great DAC. There are no significant flaws; it completely outclasses my Icon Mobile, unsurprisingly. The imaging and soundstage in particular is very good, and I'm sure it's not the amp doing the work here.
One problem I've experienced is that when I set the output in Foobar2000 to WASAPI, the music inexplicably plays distortedly and at twice the speed. Because of this, I've been using DS, (what does it stand for? Digital Sound?) which sounds great to me, but I really want to try using the WASAPI. Apparently buffer length might have something to do with it - mine is set to 2400 ms - but WASAPI is working fine with the Icon Mobile.
Guys, recommend me, please, a seller/shop where I could buy a TREAD PSU for HUD-MX1. I live in Europe (international shipping preferably), browsing for an hour gave me no results...
It would be nice to buy it as an plug&play brand device with no need of extra tweaking.
I ask for help because I'm bad in electronics and do not have extra money for more sophisticated upgrades... From what I've read, the stock PSU is the issue why can't this DAC really bring us the musicality it's up to..
Edited by AlexRoma - 6/6/10 at 7:00pm
why would you want to get a PSU when the power from your computer usb is enough to run this little wonderful device. I'm playing it straight out of usb and no PSU or whatsoever. No problem encountered at all.
Well, it's not so much whether the MX1 can be driven sufficiently, it's that a good PSU is a substantial improvement. Either way, I don't think a power supply is that important for AlexRoma's needs, there would probably be a bigger difference from getting a new amp and using the MX1 as a DAC.
OKAY. So after reading about audiofil's experience with switching opamps with the MX1, I wanted to try it for myself. I did some research and decided to go with the AD797. I looked at the datasheets on AD's website and noticed that there was an 8-pin PDIP package of it, which was great because that is the form factor of the stock opamp and I wanted to avoid using an adapter if possible. I know audiofil used got two of the AD797BRZs and used an adapter. I sprung for the AD797ANZ (the PDIP AD797).
Today I got it in the mail and installed it easy as pie, and yes, it is definitely installed in the right direction, the notches are in the same place. Unfortunately, there seems to be something very wrong. The volume is now very low and muffled and there is a lot of distortion in the (very quiet) sound. In short, music comes out, but clearly there is a problem.
Please help! Is there really something so different between the AD797BRZ and the AD797ANZ or did I just install it wrong? Thanks so much in advance!
Edited by MrTrotsky - 6/21/10 at 9:50pm
- Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What should I expect with Grado SR80i's 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 4 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 4 minutes ago
- › CanOpener? 5 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 6 minutes ago
- › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob