using a sony mdr-7506 myself. works well... picked up the audinst for S$190... good bit off the ebay price
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2)tagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- brandAudinsttagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudinst HUD-MX1tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/14/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just ordered an Audio-gd FUN Earth for my Denon HD2000 headphones Last post on 3/23/11 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC Last post on 1/30/11 at 10:56am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best $500 for K701s? Last post on 7/27/10 at 3:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2) - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 4115/6/10 at 10:15ampost #63 of 4115/6/10 at 2:27pm
I have the Matrix M Stage driving 701 and a Marantz DV6001 which is a nice cd/sacd player. Would either the Fun Basic or Audinst DAC be an improvement or do I need to move up significantly with a DAC. I would be using coaxial only and using the Marantz as a transport.post #64 of 4115/6/10 at 2:35pmThread Starter
The Audinst is a no-go because it's USB only input.
The FUN on the other hand is a very good amp/dac for the money, but having the M-stage kind of defeats the purpose of buying it. You won't need the amp section, which (in my mind) is the better half of the Fun.
I'd suggest saving up for a DAC19 instead, which is a whole different kettle of fish, superior in every respect to the FUN (or MX1 for that matter).post #65 of 4115/6/10 at 2:58pmpost #66 of 4115/6/10 at 3:20pmpost #67 of 4115/6/10 at 7:12pm
Frank, I have an Onkyo SACD player and I found little to no difference between it and Fun (unless I put in OPAMPs that change the tone of the sound) so you may not find much benefit unless you buy a much more expensive DAC. The player in question had a good reputation for sound quality despite being relatively inexpensive.post #68 of 4115/7/10 at 4:32am
Thanks Currawong. The Marantz DV6001 is a really nice universal player. I have stayed away from DACs for 12 years since I like the one box presentation. I was wondering if the higher end audio GD would be worth the 480.00 If I only get very minor improvement it's not worth it.post #69 of 4115/7/10 at 11:29am
I hope this wont be off topic... I've got DT990, 32-ohm model, and I want to buy my first DAC/AMP, I'm currenty hooked to onboard sound card. I'm considering either MX1, or new Carat-Ruby MK2, selling for 275USD (inc. shipping). But I dont know, whether the difference between them is worth extra ~100USD or not. What would you recommend?post #70 of 4115/7/10 at 8:39pm
The Carat-Ruby MkII comes with a 110/220V 60Hz only adapter so you might need to change that if your power spec is different. The unit becomes lukewarm otherwise from my experience of testing it at a computer shop near me. Also with my HD595 albeit it has the same sound signature as its older brother Peridot, a little wider sound stage, instrument separation is not as good as the Peridot, the veil effect might be. So if you don't want 24bit/96Khz through USB or optical input or driving some harder to drive headphone, the Peridot might be the better choice. I have zero experience with the MX1, but headphonia praised it a lot in their review of this unit.
YMMV applied, too :D.
EDIT: I tested both units with USB input as that's what I'm going to use.
Edited by thuantran - 5/8/10 at 2:53ampost #71 of 4115/8/10 at 9:33ampost #72 of 4115/8/10 at 4:07pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Frank I
Thanks Currawong. The Marantz DV6001 is a really nice universal player. I have stayed away from DACs for 12 years since I like the one box presentation. I was wondering if the higher end audio GD would be worth the 480.00 If I only get very minor improvement it's not worth it.
The situation I'd consider it in is if you listen to a lot of acoustic music, such as classical or jazz and you are having trouble with instruments sounding harsh and digital. I can understand though if you just spend $500 on a universal player, than that again on a DAC certainly makes it expensive.post #73 of 4115/8/10 at 6:46pm
There're ppl who say iBasso D4 sounds better than D10, IMO it's also depends on your ears and gears. Personally I find the Ruby sound is not as clear as the Peridot. That might be because the Ruby was running off spec power wise. They have the original 60Hz adapter running with 50Hz power used in my country. Overall whether the entire Ruby package is better than the Peridot is also up to personal opinion. To me, the ability of running off USB power only helps sometimes.
post #74 of 4115/8/10 at 9:56pmpost #75 of 4115/9/10 at 11:29amQuote:Originally Posted by Currawong
Frank, I have an Onkyo SACD player and I found little to no difference between it and Fun (unless I put in OPAMPs that change the tone of the sound) so you may not find much benefit unless you buy a much more expensive DAC. The player in question had a good reputation for sound quality despite being relatively inexpensive.
Thanks for that good advice. When friends of mine are just starting out, I often direct them towards older high end players such as Pioneer Elite and Sony ES. Some of them that originally sold for $800-$1500 some years back can still hold their own today. It's good to remember that sort of budget item exists in the land of "external everything".
- Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Breathable headphones (around ear) for sweaty ears 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 3 minutes ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 7 minutes ago
- › Cat-Fi 7 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 8 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear