I recommend the OPA1611. But if you want to try out the OPA627 I have a dual to single DIP adapter if you want.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2)tagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- brandAudinsttagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudinst HUD-MX1tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/14/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just ordered an Audio-gd FUN Earth for my Denon HD2000 headphones Last post on 3/23/11 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC Last post on 1/30/11 at 10:56am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best $500 for K701s? Last post on 7/27/10 at 3:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Headphone Impedance
Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2) - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Received my Audinst today. Started listening with it about an hour ago but initial impressions are good. I've never had a dedicated headphone amp before and I used a Creative X-Fi soundcard before this. Compared to the soundcard, there is increased soundstage (not as much as I expected but still a good deal), more kick in the bass, and increased clarity. Good stuff.
So I was able to buy these off another head-fi member and should get it sooner than I planned which is also a good thing :) I sold my uDAC so I'm stuck with crappy netbook source or clip+ so a couple days of this and then back to better source. I'm hoping these are definitely better than the uDAC and can be my new transportable dac.
I don't believe that you will be disappointed with upgrading your uDac to the HUD- MX-1. I had both of them at the same time, now I only have the HUD-MX1.
It's not a clear night/day difference, but to me at least enough difference to prefer one over the other. I also find the the relativity in pricing very reasonable from what my ears was able to tell me.
Based on the reviews I'd sure hope so :) The price isn't that much more than the uDAC and these have the ability to change opamp which is why these intrigued me and I've always wanted to try out certain opamps.
I sold the uDAC and the loss I took from the sale of them was definitely worth the time I had with them. I'll be getting these on Tuesday so will see how it goes.
Yes, the versatility of the MX1 is certainly a big +, with amo. the possibility to change opamps. I haven't had time play around with this option, but I eventually will.
I have as well read some of the reviews comparing the two items etc., and I pretty much agree on the conclusion of these reviews.
The minor loss I took on selling the uDac was certainly IMO worth the sonic pleasure that I now experience from the MX1. Being able to the comparing the two DAC's at the same time.
I personally had no doubt about that the MX1 was a keeper and certainly worth it's price for a portable DAC unit that I can use with a netbook on the go.. or as a stationary.
I guess on Tuesday you will draw your own conclusion :-)
1. It does improve with burn in, so much so that it has made a few of my original findings a bit obsolete.
^ good to know that it wasn't just my placebo.
on the first week it was very, very, very hard to tell the difference between this and my old m-audio card. now, after a month it's still not easy, but the overall picture is somehow much more pleasant with the Audinst. when I switch back to the m-audio I find the mid ranges fatiguing after a while. they are less open, the soundstage is also poorer. now I use the m-audio only for recording.
I don't know if it was the opamp's burn-in, or some other components', but I wouldn't rush with the amp rolling. give it at least a hundred hours before.
I will indeed find out on Tuesday and should be getting a bunch of other stuff in the mail sometime soon as well so should be a pretty exciting July for me :) Although it kinda sucks that they don't deliver on Monday cuz of the holiday but nothing I can do about that.
A quick question however..what makes a larger improvement just out of curiosity? changing the opamp or using a better psu
Edited by rawrster - 7/3/10 at 11:44am
i think im gunna buy on of these, theres a used one available in the UK.
Similar question to above, can anyone recommend a decent PSU (preferably available within the UK).
You should really think about that after you try the dac.
Maybe I'll know tomorrow how it sounds. It got to a local post office on Sunday but USPS was off Monday and for some strange reason they didnt deliver today. Hopefully tomorrow it comes
I got it yesterday in the mail and it doesn't sound too bad at all. I can't really remember the uDAC but it does seem like it is less colored. I do like the 2 outputs however as I can burn phones in while listening if I ever need to. It's a bit bigger than I expected but that may be due to having the uDAC so long and got spoiled by the size and how portable it was. I'm guessing this should last me a while as there really aren't that many transportable dac/amp that I know of not including those already in portable amps such as the D10, D4, etc since most of my listening is done when I'm not at home.
- Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 40 seconds ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 1 minute ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003i + Comply Tips 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)