Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser MX 980 Expression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MX 980 Expression - Page 7

post #91 of 266


Sorry if I doubted about your review....

I bought both TM5 and MX980 so I could compare them with my Yuin Ok1.

TM5 has a great bassy default sound signature, but doesn't sound as big can as OK1 does. When I listened to MX980 I felt shocked about the sound quality. It's perfectly balanced and not colored, but if you equalize the source to give more bass it's surely a step ahead the TM5. Simply amazing....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antineutrino View Post



 

 

So you're saying  that the OK1 cannot match MX980 sound quality...

The OK1 is considered on 2° place by Kostalex review due to its "accuracy" .

I own them and I can state that when amped and equalized with a warm balance they sound awesome. Even the bass is great! Reading your post you say instead that the MX980 bass is not so realistic... So how those MX980 are far better than OK1? In terms of separation or soundstage? I really want to buy a pair of BLOX TM5 considered the best earbuds on the planet...

 

 



 

post #92 of 266

really want to try these if not because they looks like nobs rather then buds. Do you hear things you never hear before?

 

I'm still skeptical since kostalex mentioned tm5 is almost on par with se530. Compared to re252 I found tm5 lose in definiton and clearity but the amount of instruments I can hear is comparable, not to say many people rank ok1 ahead of re252, se530, and mx980 below se530, so I guess it's matter of sound sig. Looking forward to what kostalex have to say about this.

post #93 of 266

Has kostalex purchased a pair to review?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonathena View Post

really want to try these if not because they looks like nobs rather then buds. Do you hear things you never hear before?

 

I'm still skeptical since kostalex mentioned tm5 is almost on par with se530. Compared to re252 I found tm5 lose in definiton and clearity but the amount of instruments I can hear is comparable, not to say many people rank ok1 ahead of re252, se530, and mx980 below se530, so I guess it's matter of sound sig. Looking forward to what kostalex have to say about this.

post #94 of 266

No idea, another thing is the whole expression line is priced far below ie8 if that means anything at all.

post #95 of 266

No yet.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post

Has kostalex purchased a pair to review?
 


 
post #96 of 266

I tried MX980 for about 2-3 weeks, but at the end of the day I had to send them back because I couldn't bear how they sounded with vocals.  All other aspects of sound were good if not great  Punch base and beautiful detailed treble and for most parts the mid was ok with instruments.  I was using it with my Sansa Clip, and it's possible that Sansa didn't have enough power.  However, basing by the MX980's sensitivity, I don't think Sansa should had any problem driving it.  Anyway, my conclusion was, whatever I do and whatever song I listen to, the vocal just sound so unnatural and plasticky.  I'm a vocal lover, I had to send it back.  Reading reviews here makes me wonder if mine was a defective unit.  I had purchased more likely the first batch available in US since I pre-ordered it at the time.

post #97 of 266



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsurf View Post

I tried MX980 for about 2-3 weeks, but at the end of the day I had to send them back because I couldn't bear how they sounded with vocals.  All other aspects of sound were good if not great  Punch base and beautiful detailed treble and for most parts the mid was ok with instruments.  I was using it with my Sansa Clip, and it's possible that Sansa didn't have enough power.  However, basing by the MX980's sensitivity, I don't think Sansa should had any problem driving it.  Anyway, my conclusion was, whatever I do and whatever song I listen to, the vocal just sound so unnatural and plasticky.  I'm a vocal lover, I had to send it back.  Reading reviews here makes me wonder if mine was a defective unit.  I had purchased more likely the first batch available in US since I pre-ordered it at the time.



I have to disagree with your comments regarding the quality of vocals with MX980.

For me the vocals are clearly one of the strengths of MX980. I have two pairs of MX980 and both sound equally fantastic regarding vocals.

Reproduction of human voices, male and female, is so natural and nice with these earbuds.

 

Maybe you really got a defect copy or maybe a fake.

 

post #98 of 266

I am going to have to agree with neng here in saying you have a defect

 

the mx980 is crystal clear and the mid range is just set up for vocals...im not really sure what to say to that mini review he gave and im very sorry he feels that way about it, or actually got a defect 980

post #99 of 266

you got a dud mr. moonsurf

post #100 of 266

^^ Thats a bit harsh dont you think ? Mr Moonsurf was saying what he heard with his ears.

 

I believe that contrary to the specs, the MX980 needs some power. So a portable amp or a powerful mp3 player is needed for the 980s to sound good.

post #101 of 266

I think we need some reliable reviewers here (ClieOs, Kostalex, HeadphoneAddict and the like). It's really getting confusing as more responses come in. Not saying that the so-far reviewers here are unreliable but we just need someone who can put things up together in their real sense.

 

Just my .02.

post #102 of 266

Problem is even them are not consistant, ClieOs rated mx760 the same league as pk1, it's not even in Kostalex's chart.

post #103 of 266

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanonathena View Post

Problem is even them are not consistant, ClieOs rated mx760 the same league as pk1, it's not even in Kostalex's chart.

That is because the 'same league' has a big space in between each model. So my opinion is,

Is MX760 as good as PK1? No.

Is MX760 clearly better than the majority of the group? Yes.

Does MX760 worthy to be named as one of the greatest earbuds I ever heard? Yes.

Is MX760 best of the best? No.

... and if you like, you can put a "Best of the Best" category on top of "The Great", then put PK1 adn HR1 in there. The truth is PK1 and HR1 both need a good amp to really perform. Not everyone has amp (or a decent one) so some might not find it as great as he/she imagine it can be when listened on an iPod. After all, an review is just an compilation of opinion. Also, I don't think Kostalex has even rated MX760 before so it really isn't about consistency. Just like I never heard of TM5 and it doesn't make it a lesser earbud than other.

 

Regarding MX980, I was hoping to review the Expression Line for Sennheiser a few months ago. But due to some circumstances, I have no choice but to give it up.

post #104 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nengerlf View Post



 



I have to disagree with your comments regarding the quality of vocals with MX980.

For me the vocals are clearly one of the strengths of MX980. I have two pairs of MX980 and both sound equally fantastic regarding vocals.

Reproduction of human voices, male and female, is so natural and nice with these earbuds.

 

Maybe you really got a defect copy or maybe a fake.

 

I had the very first batch from Amazon, so I don't think mine was a fake.  I was interested in MX980 even before they release, so I pre-ordered them from Amazon - not that they had a pre-order going on, but it arrived like 3 weeks after I ordered it :).  Anyway, for the voice quality, I'm coming from HD600, AKG 702, MS1, and PFE.  Again it could be the fact Sansa was not up to the task.  However I also tried MX980 with my notebook computer, which actually has surprising decent audio quality (better than some MP3s out there with more power), the voice sounded same thin, plasticky, not emotional.  What I mean here is that there was no subtle vibration or echo that's associate with vocals which conveys nuances with well known songs to my ear.  I agree MX980 has a clear sound, a very clear sound.  And, in a way, the voices sounded too clean with MX980.  So, the clearness may contribute to the fact it takes some subtle nuances or timbre out of the voices.  I tried only one set of MX980, so mine could been defect.  But, I thought it was genuine weakness of MX980 and worth noting for voice lovers out there, like me
 

post #105 of 266

By the way, I should add that I listen to earphones at very low volume.  And, I think voices got a little better as I pump up the volume.  Anyway, it's my IMO.  I perfectly understand what sounded like crap to my ear may sound wonderful to others, just like foods.  As a person who didn't like these iems for a particular area, I thought I should share it since there will be someone who has similar music tastes as I do. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser MX 980 Expression