Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit? - Page 4

post #46 of 454
Alright, I know this is three posts in a row...

I hooked up the 3rd gen iPod Touch (with the latest updates installed), no dice. pops up with a message that says the device is unsupported. Tried playing music just to make sure, and the music came out of the iPod's speaker.

I don't know anyone with a 3Gs to test on, so I suppose that's still up in the air.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #47 of 454
So the iPad has no problem powering an external USB DAC/amp? I have a uDac and I'm wondering about, since it draws all of its power through USB.

I'd LOVE to get one, fill it up with lossless, and hook it up to my Micro DAC + K.I.C.A.S. setup. My perfect bedside rig!
post #48 of 454
Heck, I'd be happy even if I could only plug it into a desktop powered USB DAC and listen to my lossless music.

Most portable DAC/amp run the DAC portion off USB and the amp portion off battery, so I do wonder how much of a drain on the battery it would be powering up the DAC. I ordered my camera kit on 4/15 with a 5/7 ship date, so I hope someone posts more impressions and battery tests.
post #49 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by robzr View Post
What a stupid thing to say... I guess that is why iPhones are so popular...? Why so many people in the know use Macs...?

Ridiculous...

Rob
Hardly stupid, why don't Apple devices give you expandability out of the box? A USB port? SD slot?? Oh thats right they want to filter the average punter through their iTunes Store. Lots of people use iPhones for the same reason they wear Gucci. And believe it or not, lots of people in the know don't use Macs. Generalise much???
post #50 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallan75 View Post
Hardly stupid, why don't Apple devices give you expandability out of the box? A USB port? SD slot?? Oh thats right they want to filter the average punter through their iTunes Store. Lots of people use iPhones for the same reason they wear Gucci. And believe it or not, lots of people in the know don't use Macs. Generalise much???
Your post might turn the thread into flame. Whatever it's, I'm happy that I can use the iPad with my USB DAC/Amp. Might return my 16gb in order to get the 64gb then.
post #51 of 454
If only you could put Linux on an iPad... sigh... FLAC support, DivX and other movie file support, etc. The screen is truly droolworthy.

I just realized something though--is there any way to charge the iPad and use the camera kit at the same time? That seems like a crucial thing for a bedside rig. Maybe it's still easier to just buy a good netbook.
post #52 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Knight View Post
Your post might turn the thread into flame. Whatever it's, I'm happy that I can use the iPad with my USB DAC/Amp. Might return my 16gb in order to get the 64gb then.
I hope it doesn't, it was just an annoying comment as some Apple devices to have limitations with expandability, which would obviously help connecting a DAC. Anyway good luck with your iPad & DAC man.
post #53 of 454
I think that it's great that the functionality is available but it's poor that a USB connection isn't built in so that Apple can charge a premium for something that a lot of people were bound to want, and the connector slightly ruins the design.

That aside, hope it works well.
post #54 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Heck, I'd be happy even if I could only plug it into a desktop powered USB DAC and listen to my lossless music.

Most portable DAC/amp run the DAC portion off USB and the amp portion off battery, so I do wonder how much of a drain on the battery it would be powering up the DAC. I ordered my camera kit on 4/15 with a 5/7 ship date, so I hope someone posts more impressions and battery tests.
Maybe I'll do some basic testing this weekend. It was stated at one point, when the iPad was announced, that doing nothing but playing music (with the screen off), the iPad was capable of 140 hours of music playback. Even if that number is extremely generous, if I could get 30-40 hours of music playback w/ external DAC / amp hooked up (noting the amp itself would have to be powered by battery or wall charger), I'd be more than happy.
post #55 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_X View Post
If only you could put Linux on an iPad... sigh... FLAC support, DivX and other movie file support, etc. The screen is truly droolworthy.

I just realized something though--is there any way to charge the iPad and use the camera kit at the same time? That seems like a crucial thing for a bedside rig. Maybe it's still easier to just buy a good netbook.
If your library is in FLAC and all you want is a bed-side music rig, maybe a netbook would be better (and certainly cost a lot less).
post #56 of 454
The iPad+Camera Connection kit works great with the Pico Amp/DAC.
post #57 of 454
Quote:
If your library is in FLAC and all you want is a bed-side music rig, maybe a netbook would be better (and certainly cost a lot less).
I have an iPad and I doubt I have a need for a DAC to go with it. I have an Airport Express in my bedroom that feeds my DAC Apple Lossless files. I actually have my FLAC files backed up to Apple lossless, so I have no reason to only use FLAC.

The main issue with the iPad as a music server is the 64GB limit. It just isn't enough to make it worthwhile for that purpose. Instead, I use it to control my music library (via the "Remote" software or Airfoil+Logmein).

I am interested to see how people use it, though. Heck, I was planning on getting the camera kit at some point anyway, so I may plug it into my Dacmagic to see if it works.
post #58 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallan75 View Post
Hardly stupid, why don't Apple devices give you expandability out of the box? A USB port? SD slot?? Oh thats right they want to filter the average punter through their iTunes Store. Lots of people use iPhones for the same reason they wear Gucci. And believe it or not, lots of people in the know don't use Macs. Generalise much???
The iPad was designed primarily as a wireless data consumption device. You want expandability, get a MacBook Pro. I'm surprised you didn't miss the optical drive....
post #59 of 454
Okay, now someone try the camera kit and plug it into a powered USB hub and plug in a DAC, and see if the iPad charges and sends music to the DAC at the same time?
post #60 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
I have an iPad and I doubt I have a need for a DAC to go with it. I have an Airport Express in my bedroom that feeds my DAC Apple Lossless files. I actually have my FLAC files backed up to Apple lossless, so I have no reason to only use FLAC.

The main issue with the iPad as a music server is the 64GB limit. It just isn't enough to make it worthwhile for that purpose. Instead, I use it to control my music library (via the "Remote" software or Airfoil+Logmein).

I am interested to see how people use it, though. Heck, I was planning on getting the camera kit at some point anyway, so I may plug it into my Dacmagic to see if it works.
Exactly. I can't imagine having an iPad purely as a music server-- I'd either want to stream music to it from a server (because of the limited storage space on the device), or do as you do by controlling another machine that's streaming to an AEX (which conveniently has a digital output).

I'm just stoked about using it at the office and on the road.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?