good to know I'm not the only one researching this. Thanks for the post.
iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit? - Page 22
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
As I type this I am listening to my iPad > Camera Connection Kit > Nuforce USB Cable > Nuforce uDAC > Nuforce UF-30 headphones, and it does work beautifully. I can turn on and off the uDAC while plugged in and listening tonight, without any warnings about power consumption being too much. It works flawlessly for me. My 64Gb 3G iPad is still on OS 3.2 jailbroken.
UPDATE - I'm trying several USB DAC again right now.
Everytime you switch DACs it helps to unplug the Camera Connection Kit and plug the DAC into the cable and kit before plugging into the iPad. A few times a DAC would work, I'd unplug it and plug in another which gave me a "too much power" warning, but unplugging the kit would "reset" things and allow the next one to work.
1) So far I have the uDAC working perfectly. See above. I forgot to check if the iPad volume control affects the output volume before I gave it back to my son. On a Mac the system volume does affect the DAC output volume with uDAC.
2) 3MOVE - it took several tries to get it to work without the too much power draw warning. Whenever I get that warming, I have to unplug the Camera Connection kit from the iPad to reset things. I had to have the 3MOVE turned on first, then plugged into the Camera Connection Kit before plugging it into the iPad, and then plug that into the iPad last - but then it worked fine. Like with the Predator, the iPad volume control still controls the 3MOVE volume and you have to turn it to maximum when playing the iPod application.
3) XM5 by Practical Devices - just the same as the 3MOVE. The XM5 must also already be turned on before plugging it into the iPad, or you get the too much power warning. Like with the Predator, the iPad volume control still controls the 3MOVE volume and you have to turn it to maximum when playing the iPod application.
4) Vivid Audio Tech V1 - can plug in with power on or off with no "too much power" warnings, and can turn on and off while listening with no warnings. Like with the Predator and 3MOVE, then iPad volume control does affect the V1 output volume, and should be left on maximum.
5) I plugged in a Nuforce Icon Mobile with a dead battery and got the power warning. I disconnected it all, and plugged in a headphone to the amp first so that the power would be on once it got some juice, and plugging in the Camera Connection Kit to the iPad - this allowed to to work right away with no warnings. The iPad volume control affects the music volume though the amp, and should be left on maximum.
6) iBasso D10 - one of the first ones to ship, that wont charge via USB and allow analog input at the same time because it always uses the DAC anytime it's plugged into USB. It worked without having to even turn on the amp first. I can have the amp off or on when I plug the whole deal into the USB, and it plays fine and never gives me a power warning. iPad app volume control has no effect on music volume out of the D10.
7) iBasso D4 - plugged it in with power switch on and 9v off and got power warning. Turned it off and plugged in again with 9v off and in the iPod app it said "dock connector" where the volume control usually appear, but no sound. Unplugged everything again, and with amp still switched on but 9v off I plugged in the Camera Kit and it worked. iPod volume control showed up instead of "dock connector" but changing the volume in iPod app does not affect the sound. To double check I unplugged everything, and if I plug in the D4 with the power off, and then turn on power the warning appears. If the the volume knob power switch is turned on, even with 9v mode off, when I plug in the D4 it powers up and works without a warning.
8) RSA Predator - At RMAF 5 weeks ago the Predator worked fine, but the iPad app volume control needed to be turned up.
This is going to ruin everything lol. Is the power message true, do these DACs work with powered hubs or is 4.2 locking out USB audio altogether?
Currently running iOS 3.2.2 and officially afraid to upgrade
Edited by grokit - 11/22/10 at 8:55pm
- 670 Posts. Joined 6/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Hey, sorry for being slightly off topic, but I figured anyone interested in using a usb dac with the ipad might know...
Are there any other dap that can use a usb dac? I did a search but it only returned some really old threads.
Also, did anyone figure out how to port the usb stack from the Ipad to the touch?
- 3,359 Posts. Joined 11/2008
- Location: Chelsea, AL
- Select All Posts By This User
Sh*t!!!. I just bought one(waiting for ios 4.2 so I could do multitasking). I was waiting to see if the new update would enable compatibility with udac2. Please don't tell me they did away with it completely. Apple leaves people no choice but to jailbreak their devices. It's their fault jailbreaking exists in the first place.
With my jailbroken iPad iOS 3.2 I am happy with everything it does - I'd like the new airplay and airprint, but I can live without it for now. I have backgrounder installed that let's me multitask, and MyWi 4.0 that lets me use it as a Wifi hotspot.
So I wont do 4.2 until the jailbreak is out for that, and only if they didn't kill USB DAC support for most of my DAC/amps. I've been an apple Fan Boy for ages, but this is starting to piss me off they way they screw up updates lately, especially for Mac software like iTunes. And they let developers break compatibility with older versions of iOS when they upgrade apps, so if you don't save all old copies of all upgraded iOS apps, then you may find yourself unable to use one of your long owned apps unless you upgrade to the newest OS. I have to warn my wife weekly to not delete her idisk or gallery apps or I wont be able to re-install them. She's stuck with OS 3.1.3 because an app for her work's contacts, calendar and email wont work with OS 4 yet. Grrr...
- 362 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Location: Europe
- Select All Posts By This User
I updated to 4.2.1.
So far I can tell that the
HA Info NG Coax USB interface and the
PopPulse PCM 1796 DAC
With the Sigtone / Shek h1 I get the error message - no work -
(Maybe I have to load the battery of the Shek completely before connecting because it wants to load over USB at once.)
USB Monica DAC doesn't work any more, too.
Edited by rhw - 11/23/10 at 3:13am