A mystery wrapped in an enigma, encased in a Fortune Cookie...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need an Amp/DAC for AKG K701 - Yulong, Audio-gd, or Matrix? Last post on 7/18/11 at 5:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP and DAC for AKG K701 Last post on 8/4/14 at 5:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12 Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The List: Balanced amps under $1,000 (aka Amps NOT to buy) Last post on 10/21/13 at 8:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 35post #511 of 7258/19/10 at 7:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 7258/19/10 at 7:37pmpost #513 of 7258/19/10 at 8:06pm
lol well, if you want to be more historically and culturally accurate, in China they don't eat fortune cookies, so it would be more of "A mystery wrapped in an enigma, encased in a moon cake"post #514 of 7258/19/10 at 8:09pmpost #515 of 7258/19/10 at 10:37pmpost #516 of 7258/24/10 at 9:29pmpost #517 of 7258/27/10 at 9:15pm
I purchased AVU's old Sparrow, and it sounds excellent. I haven't done any comparisons, but I am really enjoying its sound and functionality as a line-in optical dac for use with Mac (airport express soon too) and XBOX360. I am also having the most success with the volume pot than with any other amp I have owned for trying to listen at preferred low volumes without channel imbalance, though I still can't go as low as I 'd like with some albums (using PK1, and would also like to make note that this amp was adjusted to a lower gain than standard).post #518 of 7259/2/10 at 7:20pmpost #519 of 7259/2/10 at 11:45pmpost #520 of 7259/3/10 at 8:41amQuote:Btw, what size of allen key is needed to open the sparrow? I've tried all my allen keys and none fit the holes properly.
I believe it is 3mm
Edited by les_garten - 9/3/10 at 8:43ampost #521 of 7259/3/10 at 5:45pmpost #522 of 7259/7/10 at 6:00am
Make sure you report back after you put the WM8741 in. It'd be nice to reduce the harshness and smooth it out a bit as some people on here have reported with the FUN. It's hard to justify spending 30% the cost of my sparrow for it, I don't think it should cost $17.50 for shipping what looks like a 3x5cm module.post #523 of 7259/7/10 at 6:07am
It's not audio-gd's fault shipping is so expensive :p, and audio-gd gives you the same exact discounted price they get from EMS/DHL. When I think about how much priority mail costs in the USA, I think the international shipping rates from China are very fair. Still, I try to hold off purchasing any modules until I am buying additional things to save on shipping.post #524 of 7259/7/10 at 8:06am
I would like to try the new WM8741 or WM870, because I am finding the Sparrow to be a little "harsh" sounding with my Stax.
I am going to try buying something that will have good synergy with my Sparrow, perhaps the HD600/HD650. From what I can remember and have read is slightly mellow sounding with a little rolled off lower and upper frequency. If I cannot find a good phone with good synergy, then I will attempt modding my Sparrow. By the way, the Sparrow sounds great with my PK1, and PX100.post #525 of 7259/7/10 at 3:37pm
Funny, I'm finding the 8741 a little too "smooth" sounding with my JH-13s. I think I liked the 1852 more. But will see after burn-in.
- Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › HIFIMAN’s HE1000 Upgrade Discussion 25 seconds ago
- › General headphone questions 59 seconds ago
- › Opinions on DAC section of Oppo HA2 1 minute ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Reccomend me a pair of IEMs around 100$ 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 2 minutes ago
- › Do Cooper wires vs Silver wires vs Stock wires matter ? 2 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Alternatives 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear