Kingwa says (lol should reminded him to type in chinese) "Yes. Only solder a point. The wire is come with the WM8741 module." Guess it's a done deal for me to get the old sparrow and upgrade myself! It'll be cheaper and faster haha.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need an Amp/DAC for AKG K701 - Yulong, Audio-gd, or Matrix? Last post on 7/18/11 at 5:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP and DAC for AKG K701 Last post on 8/4/14 at 5:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12 Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The List: Balanced amps under $1,000 (aka Amps NOT to buy) Last post on 10/21/13 at 8:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Equipment to compare. iFi iDSD Black Label AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen Headphones (returned) Meridian Explorer 2 AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic A20 Amp (returned) HiFiMan X...
RHA CL1 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in Apple...
Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 34post #496 of 7258/18/10 at 6:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #497 of 7258/18/10 at 6:42pm
ha! if I had known it was this easy, I wouldn't have sold the sparrow B! (is it $30 with shipping? wow, shipping alone is usually $30+) At least now I'll get to see what the unity gain and A-level components do. (hopefully something)post #498 of 7258/18/10 at 7:40pmpost #499 of 7258/18/10 at 10:17pmpost #500 of 7258/19/10 at 6:35ampost #501 of 7258/19/10 at 10:11amQuote:
Does it need more or "different " voltage.
If you look at the PIC in this post of the DAC module, it shows there are no 5 v pins on the module like there is on the 8740. It picks up 3.3v rather than 5 v.
See what I'm talking about here?
On the 1852 and 8740,that I have, there are pins down to pick up the 5v off the "Motherboard". On the 8741, there are no 5v pins, and it picks up 3.3v off the DIR board.post #502 of 7258/19/10 at 10:39am
Out of pure laziness I just stated that it needs more power. But the above is correct :)
Now that I think about it... that would make the new version A's that come with the wm8741 not backwards compatible?
Edited by muad - 8/19/10 at 10:41ampost #503 of 7258/19/10 at 10:50am
Only if Kingwa changed the power plan for the WM8741. I would guess as long as the new A version doesn't have that extra wire it wouldn't be backwards compatible to the WM8740. But if it does, it should be. Unless you're refering to the other DAC module.post #504 of 7258/19/10 at 11:00am
I think I read that the new version A won't have the wire... don't quote me on it though
but really there shouldn't be a reason why someone would want to move from the 8741 to the 8740 or 1852 modules. Unless they need the latter for a deliberate emphasis to the upper mids...
Edited by muad - 8/19/10 at 11:03ampost #505 of 7258/19/10 at 5:08pmpost #506 of 7258/19/10 at 5:40pmpost #507 of 7258/19/10 at 5:51pmQuote:
I imagine it's more current and not more Voltage.post #508 of 7258/19/10 at 5:54pm
Kinda weird tho... the wm8470 has 2 pins that take 5v each from separate supplies. The new wm8741 is missing those 2 pins. Instead those two connections are bridged together and take 3.3v together from the dir9001 module. This is considering the labels on the motherboard are correct. Im thoroughly confused.. but I guess it doesn't really matter.
EDIT: IC, what les Garten says makes more sense :)
Edited by muad - 8/19/10 at 5:56pmpost #509 of 7258/19/10 at 6:19pmpost #510 of 7258/19/10 at 6:36pm
Les is correct...the wm 8740 requires 19mA (typical at 3.3V) vs 40mA (typical at 3.3V) for the wm 8741 according to their respective data sheets. Max V for the 8741 (digital PSU connections) is 4.5V but optimum V is 3.3.
Edited by Pricklely Peete - 8/19/10 at 8:12pm
- Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 29 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone! 1 minute ago
- › Getting new IEMs, any suggestions? 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › How do I have over 9,000 avatar views?! 2 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear