Some of the guys in the Fun forum have. So far some pretty positive results... I personally think the wm8741 module sounds the best so far. But it may change with burn in... for the worse. Im keeping my fingers crossed. As it stands, Im very impressed with it. Burn in aside, it's definitely more neutral than the ad1852. So far it's slightly more dynamic also. The ad1852's harshness came from a upper mid emphasis to my ears. Well thats gone with the new dac... I can definitely see why kingwa stated that the wm8741 is the last dac upgrade he plans on making for the fun. I can't see the Fun getting much better than this.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need an Amp/DAC for AKG K701 - Yulong, Audio-gd, or Matrix? Last post on 7/18/11 at 5:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP and DAC for AKG K701 Last post on 8/4/14 at 5:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12 Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The List: Balanced amps under $1,000 (aka Amps NOT to buy) Last post on 10/21/13 at 8:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
BACKGROUND I enjoyed my Superlux HD-330 for several months. I always had a closed pair, an open pair, and earbuds at any given situation to cover all my needs – isolated listening, awareness of...
Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise in the form of an email inquiring about my interest in reviewing a product. And this was most certainly the case with Unique Innovation...
Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 33post #481 of 7258/17/10 at 1:57pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #482 of 7258/18/10 at 12:16am
I was thinking of upgrading my Sparrow ver B to WM8741, but I'm not too sure on how module installation goes.
From the pictures on the Audio-gd site, it does not look like there are any wires connecting the module to the board, is it a matter of simply unplugging the old one and dropping the new one in? Haven't cracked mine open yet as I don't have the proper size allen key.
Not too confident on my soldering skills and equipment, I only have a crappy 10w soldering iron for wire repairs so nothing suitable for precision.post #483 of 7258/18/10 at 12:16pm
I'm not sure whether the WM8741 module can be bought for the Sparrow, at least I couldn't find a price. Does anyone have a price?
As for neutrality, I understood that the AD1852 module had been designed to be neutral, therefore if the highs are reduced, does this not make the WM8741 less neutral? I'm not saying that's correct or that the former is better, just trying to understand.
Related to that is Currawong's comment that the tuning of the module will make a far bigger difference than these chips. So, is there not much difference or has the tuning been changed (why wasn't that tuning just used in the first place?) or have I misunderstood Currawong and his comment doesn't apply to the AD1852?
There are always so many questions aren't there? And, oh dear, it looks as though I may have upgraditits before I've even got going!post #484 of 7258/18/10 at 12:34pm
It's $30, the wm8741 can be installed on the version B, but it does require some modification, whereas version A has had the power sectioned modified to allow for the extra power the wm8471 requires. Ask kingwa what is required for the B version to accept the wm8741 module.
Well the ad1852 module wasn't voiced neutral (they tried to), and the problem wasn't only in the highs but the upper mids also. Female vocals would get shrill etc. I think it actually had a slight emphasis in the highs and upper mids. It gave the leading edge of notes a really nice attack. It's still sounded really nice but was colored and had the tendency to sound harsh sometimes. Also due to the emphasis some instruments didn't sound real/right. I think this new module is voiced neutral, at least through my k701's. The definition makes up for the lack of leading note emphasis. Nothing sounds recessed or lacking or emphasized. It still maintains a nice soundstage stage and imaging. This is all IMHO....post #485 of 7258/18/10 at 1:21pm
I got a quote from Kingwa for the WM8741 for the sparrow if you have the older WM8740 $25USD, and you have to remove the old module and install the new one and solder it to the DIR, I will assume you have to de-solder the old one first before installing the new one, anyone got a picture guide on how to do it? I'm contemplating to buy the older WM8740 A version and install the new module myself.post #486 of 7258/18/10 at 2:09pm
If it's anything like the way it is with the fun it's very easy. And I don't think you need the wm8740 version for it to work. The modules are the same for the fun.
Remove the screw for the wm8740 or ad1852 module. Unplug the old module (it's socketed). Plug in the new module and replace the screw from before. The wm8741 module has a wire pre-soldered to it. The other end of that wire must be soldered to the 3.3v supply on the dir9001 module. This is how it is on the Fun. If it's the same on the sparrow then both the old a and b versions won't have the correct supply for the new dac. Only the newest (made in the last week or so) version A Fun and sparrow don't require the soldering. You might wanna recheck with kingwa if the new dac will work with both a and b versions with this method. Both ad1852 and wm8740 are completely interchangeable. So it shouldn't matter which dac is in there now...
Below is a pic of my install of the new dac module in my Fun... the bottom wire on the left side was the side I had to solder...post #487 of 7258/18/10 at 2:23pm
Hrmm so the old WM8740 doesn't have a wire soldered to the DIR power supply? If not that would make it quite easy to do, lol just need to get some electrical solder and soldering tool. But, to make sure I'll send Kingwa an email with your description.post #488 of 7258/18/10 at 2:34pm
Ask Kingwa for some internal wiring and solder wire, would be cheaper than buying it yourself if you don't need much.
I got a soldering iron from dealextreme.com , free shipping and good quality for the price.
Edited by haloxt - 8/18/10 at 2:35pmpost #489 of 7258/18/10 at 2:52pm
No the wm8740 module doesn't need alternate power from the DIR9001. It's a straight swap with the ad1852 module. Only the wm8741 requires this.
The new module comes with the wire already attached to the wm8741. I didn't need to buy any wire or anything. So you just need some solder and an iron. TBH there's enough solder on the DIR9001 pin to begin with and the wire end comes tinned. I just added an extra blob of solder for piece of mind.post #490 of 7258/18/10 at 2:55pmpost #491 of 7258/18/10 at 3:10pm
Yeah I don't think you will regret it. I love audio-gd so far! Amazing sounding stuff and the amp in my fun does wonders with the k701. For the price, I wouldn't bother with anything else.
BTW mythless, let us know kingwas response to installing the dac module. If it is different I'll take the picture and that post down. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea
Edited by muad - 8/18/10 at 3:33pmpost #492 of 7258/18/10 at 3:25pm
Haha, I'll wait for Kingwa's response. I thought about the Fun for a long time, but the size! And, I doubt I will use the other functions. At most I'll buy and adapter if I want to hook up another amp. But, main file source will be my comp, and the sparrow fits my needs.post #493 of 7258/18/10 at 3:47pm
Since the Compass, some people felt the sound was a bit harsh, which is an issue with low-end gear. I'm thinking I might have to spring for the module to see how far I can take the Sparrow, as I will probably use it in a transportable rig during long-distance travel.post #494 of 7258/18/10 at 4:09pmQuote:
Yeah, there's no way I'll be able to resist this either...post #495 of 7258/18/10 at 4:15pm
Kingwa told me when i tried to order mine, that you could either get the WM8740 and the AD1852 how they were originally voiced, which was with the ad1852 neutral and the 8740 being more softish. Or i could get the New voicings, with the 8740 or the 8741, which he tuned them both neutral. but when i asked if i could get the 8741 and the 1852 he said that wouldnt work, which makes me think that theres something else that got changed in the circuit??
Im still loving my sparrow though, it continues to improve with burn in :)
- Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 11 seconds ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 48 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Fidelizer Pro - Real or Snake Oil? 6 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear