or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 21

post #301 of 725

A dell mobo might have "crappy sound".  Alot of motherboards might.  But modern intel and asus motherboards which I have heard all sound very good.

post #302 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

 

 

Whether this increase in sound quality is worth $200 is up to you to decide. But I feel what the Sparrow does for you is increase your options in terms of quality headphones since you are now able to drive them.


Say what you want about driving headphones, but my ipod and intel high def audio drive my headphones as well as the Sparrow.

post #303 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad View Post

Well if a colour blind person told me something is brown do I believe him when I can clearly see something is red?


Got a true story dead on your point. 

 

I knew a Doctor who bought a MG back in 1980.  He brought it around to the ER to show it off.  This was back when MG's came in a number of colors, one of them being DawgCrap Brown.

 

Everybody congratulated him, and he mentioned he loved the color and that he had always wanted a British Racing Green MG.  A couple days later he mentioned this again and finally someone asked him, "I thought that Brown one was yours"?

 

He was color blind, none of us knew it. Hilarity among the Staff ensued.  However,  it was forever gone, and I'm sure there was a terse conversation with the dealer about it.

 

I would also question the Sanity of an Atheist attending Church services and complaining about the Philosophy Expounded.

 

CrazyCarl, you came here, you mentioned your findings.

 

You made a Thread, we all responded.

 

Now you say it's all Hooey,  well, we let you have your say for some time now on that.  But now it's Trollish, even your MOM would tell you that, and we assume your MOM Loves you. 

 

You really have no place here.

 

Like the Church, we've turned the other Cheek a number of times now.

 

But we've run out of cheeks to turn, and you're now a bore...

 

You have your own thread you know...

post #304 of 725

I think the point of a decent mid-fi DAC/Amp is to open up your headphone possibilities. like you said earlier, headphones are the main factor in terms of whether or not you're going to get good sound and i whole heartedly agree with that. a decent mid-fi DAC/Amp will allow you to choose from a much larger selection of headphones, including the harder to drive ones that tend to have better sound. for most people, a mid-fi amp is all that is needed for their uses and needs because it gives them these limitless headphone possibilities.

 

on the other hand, there are audiophiles who like to adjust tweak the sound to their liking by switching between DACs/Amps (think tube rolling). but that's a whole different game and will only get you limited results -- it would not be as drastic as changing your headphone entirely (you cannot get a HD650 to sound like a Grado no matter how much you change your setup and vice versa). the tweaking by switching DACs/Amps is more for perfectionists I guess (read: audiophiles) and that's when you really start talking about diminishing returns. but hey, many people enjoy doing this as a hobby and who's to say there's something wrong with that. there are some people that who enjoy collecting postage stamps and although there may be no difference between one postage stamp or the other for you, to the collectors it's a big deal.


Edited by EraserXIV - 6/17/10 at 2:38pm
post #305 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

I think the point of a decent mid-fi DAC/Amp is to open up your headphone possibilities. like you said earlier, headphones are the main factor in terms of whether or not you're going to get good sound and i whole heartedly agree with that. a decent mid-fi DAC/Amp will allow you to choose from a much larger selection of headphones, including the harder to drive ones that tend to have better sound. for most people, a mid-fi amp is all that is needed for their uses and needs because it gives them these limitless headphone possibilities.

 

on the other hand, there are audiophiles who like to adjust tweak the sound to their liking by switching between DACs/Amps (think tube rolling). but that's a whole different game and will only get you limited results -- it would not be as drastic as changing your headphone entirely (you cannot get a HD650 to sound like a Grado no matter how much you change your setup and vice versa). the tweaking by switching DACs/Amps is more for perfectionists I guess (read: audiophiles) and that's when you really start talking about diminishing returns. but hey, many people enjoy doing this as a hobby and who's to say there's something wrong with that. there are some people that who enjoy collecting postage stamps and although there may be no difference between one postage stamp or the other for you, to the collectors it's a big deal.


But that is what my blind test shows.  My 300ohm HD580 was not improved at all from the Sparrow. Make all the analogies you want about cars and stamps, but audio is not that, at least for me.  I want clear sound, and the HD580 delivers better than anything I have ever heard, be it on an ipod or a Sparrow, it all sounds the same.  I wont believe amps do anything to headphone sound quality unless there is tangible evidence, i.e. a blind test.  If you guys are so confident that these amps do anything, then show me some results like I did!

 

BTW, I rolled 3 types of tubes in the EF2 amp I had, and they never sounded any different.  Oh is it my hearing now? Was I not listening to the right music?  Whats the bitrate unacceptable?  Name all the excuses you want, but these devices are just not worth it.  I know a lot of people agree with me and I am sure I have made some people think twice about their supposed hi-fi gear.


Edited by Crazy*Carl - 6/17/10 at 3:33pm
post #306 of 725

Carl, since you keep posting when apparently we're getting nowhere, I assume it is because you want advice. I suggest you go to a music store and play around with some musical instruments. There is no way in heck an ipod can reproduce all the nuances of real life instruments. Once you have a good memory of different instruments, you will likely be better able to appreciate what the sparrow offers.

 

In some ways, there's big differences between different dac's and different amp's, and in some ways, there are negligible differences, but this depends highly on individual requirements. For some people, sound signature is far more important than technical performance, and for these people, I would say yes, diminishing returns may apply very quickly once you've got the sound signature you like. But if you're someone who likes to hear all the texture and nuances in each note, and likes every little cue that contributes to lifelike experience, it is not diminishing returns to keep upgrading, but you will be seen as crazy by most people :P. Luckily I think most of us are not very picky when it comes to raw technical performance, but everyone has a preferred sound signature, which they can achieve either through gear or music preferences.

 

With that in mind, I'd warn people that the default sparrow's sound signature is neutral. If you like heavy music genres heard through rose-tinted glasses, you will be surprised when you get default ad1852 sparrow which is very neutral and gives you the original intent of a song. Angry heavy metal will sound exactly like angry heavy metal, assuming there's nothing else in your audio setup to color the sound. While using the sparrow, the songs that hit me over the head hardest was singer-songwriter type music like Donovan. Simplistic songs with very specific emotions is where I find neutral sound signature to really shine. Unfortunately, neutral also makes some of my past favorite recordings unlistenable, because some recordings are just poorly recorded, or the musicians were actually crazy, and I didn't realize it until I took off enough coloration in my audio setup.


Edited by haloxt - 6/17/10 at 3:40pm
post #307 of 725

i'm not really one for swapping DACs and amps like many other people here (i'm content with a modest setup and i've only ever owned one amp), but if it's worth anything, when I replaced the DA1852 module for the DA8740 module I noticed a marked difference. 

 

it was warmer, the highs not as sharp and the bass stronger. i did it overnight and my friend who had listened to it the day before asked me if i had made any modifications because she said the bass was stronger and the high notes were not as loud. no, she did not use any audiophile terms such as dark, laid-back, warm, etc, she just told me that the bass was stronger than yesterday and the high notes not as strong.

 

i didn't even plan on making this a test or anything, i just swapped out the module for my own reasons and even though i didn't mention it to her, she still noticed it. so i wasn't the only one that heard it, you can't claim placebo effect on this one.

post #308 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl View Post

 

BTW, I rolled 3 types of tubes in the EF2 amp I had, and they never sounded any different.  Oh is it my hearing now? Was I not listening to the right music?  Whats the bitrate unacceptable?  Name all the excuses you want, but these devices are just not worth it.  I know a lot of people agree with me and I am sure I have made some people think twice about their supposed hi-fi gear.


If you really want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't dismiss variables that many people think are important. I can agree that I would feel that way if I had a similar experience to you, but so far I haven't. It's good to have both sides of an argument, but if you would be more reasonable and argue with logic instead of just emotion I think it would go a long way.

post #309 of 725

I see that the Audio-Gd Sparrow now has a single review, which says it's junk.  That's great.  So now all the newbies coming here will read that and say to themselves, well, this is obviously too inexpensive to be a decent DAC/amp combo, so I guess I have to spend $500+ to get anything even halfway decent.  Which, I believe, was exactly the opposite of what Carl was originally trying to do (get people to spend less.)  

post #310 of 725

My review does not say its junk.  I just say in on par with on board sound or an ipod - which sound good.

 

I know alot of other people own it.  Add your reviews.


Edited by Crazy*Carl - 6/17/10 at 9:23pm
post #311 of 725

Crazy*Carl, you say tube, solid state, onboard and $100+ equipment all have identical "good sound quality". But how do you define "good sound"? By how much the music moves you? Because an mp3 player can move you as emotionally as high fidelity gear, but it cannot accurately reproduce music. To know what accurate reproduction is, you must have a reference of either listening to real life music or a very high fidelity setup. No offense, but the way you write you sound like someone who has no interest in differences in accuracy or sound signature saying it's all the same, and it'd be true for someone who doesn't care about the sort of differences offered by different audio gear. But most people on head-fi do care about the sort of differences given by different equipment. Like I said before, there is no way an ipod can faithfully reproduce real life instruments, and if you call an ipod sound quality as good as the sparrow, it is obvious that you have little experience with what real life instruments sound like. Go play with some real life instruments, then you will not be drifting around without a reference point. Once you have a reference point for real sound I'm pretty sure you will like the sparrow better than an ipod.

post #312 of 725

LOL, moves me... go cry me a river.

 

It just sounds clear. 

 

When I go from some headphones to the HD580, the difference is huge,

 

Sparrow to ipod... none.

post #313 of 725

How lifelike would you say an ipod sounds?

post #314 of 725

 

Quote:
How lifelike would you say an ipod sounds?

 

Seriously man don't waste you time...

 

If we ignore him maybe he'll go away.

post #315 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloxt View Post

How lifelike would you say an ipod sounds?


As lifelike as the Sparrow

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread