I've got to say, no post should be deleted. If something needs to be removed, the mods should edit it, erase the text in the post, and write what the problem was in the edit. Censoring without reason shouldn't be a part of head-fi.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need an Amp/DAC for AKG K701 - Yulong, Audio-gd, or Matrix? Last post on 7/18/11 at 5:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP and DAC for AKG K701 Last post on 8/4/14 at 5:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12 Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The List: Balanced amps under $1,000 (aka Amps NOT to buy) Last post on 10/21/13 at 8:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 20post #286 of 7256/10/10 at 9:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 7256/10/10 at 11:39pm
Could someone please clarify the current offerings?
As I understand it, the USB chip is now the TE7022, which supports 24bit/96kHz input.
Does this also apply to the basic version, or is the basic version no longer available? I understood that the original USB chip is out of stock.
Also, did someone say that there had been a slight price decrease? What prices in the sparrow range have changed?post #288 of 7256/10/10 at 11:42pmQuote:Quote:
As far as I'm aware, the FUN does not have ACSS inputs either.post #289 of 7256/11/10 at 12:12ampost #290 of 7256/11/10 at 12:29ampost #291 of 7256/11/10 at 6:28pm
I just hooked up the DA8740 module to my Sparrow, it is a much mellower, warmer DAC. Definitely not as as dynamic as the DA1852 and the highs do not extend as high. It is very laid back in signature and almost tube-like. I think I prefer the DA1852 module for analytical and detailed listening sessions, but for extended sessions the DA8740 will not fatigue as easily. It's a matter of personal preference, but I definitely do hear a big difference, it's pretty prominent.post #292 of 7256/13/10 at 4:07pmpost #293 of 7256/15/10 at 1:14am
How to shop at their site? Just send an email?
One more question - I have 32-OHM DT990, should I go for low-gain version? I'm gonna buy A model.
Edited by nManJofo - 6/15/10 at 1:55ampost #294 of 7256/15/10 at 4:23am
People have used compass with dt990 600 ohm version with no problem, sparrow is most likely as good for high impedance headphones.
Yep just send an email with what you want, give address info, and ask for a total with your payment method. What sensitivity on the dt 990? If under 106dB you should be fine, because people with 25 ohm 106dB/mW are above channel imbalance.post #295 of 7256/17/10 at 8:33am
Has anyone got any experience with the sparrow along with AKG K701? I'm thinking about buying K701, but I'm unsure whether my sparrow will be sufficient for these cans? I've read lots about how difficult they are to amp.post #296 of 7256/17/10 at 8:50am
Just to give you an idea... look at the picture of the top part of Audio GD DAC modules... those pins connect the DAC module to Sparrow's ACSS modules... Those pins send two balanced channels from DAC to ACSS modules.
So, potentially other DAC that have balanced VOut could be used to connect to ACSS, in the same way as Audio GD DAC modules...
Going further, even IOut DAC, after you made balanced I/V circuit, you could connect it to ACSS too...
Disclaimer: I don't have Sparrow... if you try to do it, do it on your own risk... :)post #297 of 7256/17/10 at 10:00ampost #298 of 7256/17/10 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl
Do not believe the hype about amplification. I failed blind tests between the Sparrow and ipod with 300ohm HD580.
People around here say all sorts of things, but almost all of it is exaggerated and without proper testing.
Here is some more food for thought:
Do not get suckered into this hobby like everyone else. Get a good pair of headphones and you will be getting excellent sound.
I thought your blind test was interesting when I first saw it, but now you're just acting silly. I, along with many others, appreciate the sound from a better source than onboard sound card or ipod, so please stop your crusade against head-fi/hifi. Also, taking quotes out of context is a bad habit!
Hopefully someone can reply to my original question regarding AKG K701 and this Sparrow. :)post #299 of 7256/17/10 at 1:57pm
i think what people are afraid of is people reading this thread and believing that there is ABSOLUTELY no difference between different DACs/Amps. I feel that the difference between a crappy dell motherboard integrated sound and even a mid-range soundcard is drastically notable. Even my current Gigabyte DS3 motherboard's integrated sound isn't up to par with a Chaintech AV710 soundcard (which has a wolfson DAC chip), the difference in sound is very clear and audible. The integrated sound is very thin and has absolutely no bass, upon connecting my AV710 i could hear a marked increase in bass and fullness in the entire spectrum.
Now, the difference between my AV710 and Sparrow is not as big a jump, but still notable and well worth it IMO. Whether this increase in sound quality is worth $200 is up to you to decide. But I feel what the Sparrow does for you is increase your options in terms of quality headphones since you are now able to drive them. The AV710 would not be able to drive the HD800 to even close what it is capable of, the Sparrow, although not as powerful as a dedicated full-size amp, can drive it with authority in my experience.
the difference between a much more expensive DAC/Amp (think $500+) and the Sparrow is not as big a jump, and that may be what Carl is trying to get at. if Carl's motherboard has integrated sound on the level of my AV710 soundcard, which is very quite well possible, then i can see why he's not experience as big an improvement as he expected.post #300 of 7256/17/10 at 2:09pm
When I am having a hard time telling between gear, I listen to some piano music, because pianos are very complex and can tell you a lot about your audio chain. If you think realtek HD onboard audio sounds good, listen to some piano music on it. And if that sounds good, I recommend you go to a music store with pianos and familiarize yourself with the sounds pianos make.
I suspect that there are more people looking for "good sound" rather than "faithful sound", and an mp3 player can give good sound, just not faithful. I listen to mp3 players daily, and all you need is a good portable headphone to enjoy the music. But if you want to listen to faithfully reproduced music or you are someone who equates that with music enjoyment, you'd probably want more than an mp3 player.
Edited by haloxt - 6/17/10 at 2:12pm
- Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Icon Audio HP8/MP 3 26 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 31 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 5 minutes ago
- › Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones... 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 5 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear