They are using tenor 7022 chipset now. Surprising.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need an Amp/DAC for AKG K701 - Yulong, Audio-gd, or Matrix? Last post on 7/18/11 at 5:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP and DAC for AKG K701 Last post on 8/4/14 at 5:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12 Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The List: Balanced amps under $1,000 (aka Amps NOT to buy) Last post on 10/21/13 at 8:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 7256/7/10 at 11:43pmpost #243 of 7256/7/10 at 11:46pm
Because someone here mentioned Tenor told Kingwa the chip was unstable. Didn't think they were going to use this chip.
post #244 of 7256/7/10 at 11:55pmpost #245 of 7256/8/10 at 12:16ampost #246 of 7256/8/10 at 12:48ampost #247 of 7256/8/10 at 2:11am
I went ahead and ordered the Basic BNC version after hearing USB was out of stock on here (didn't care too much, would be connected by TOSLINK to desktop PC and probably not used with laptop), but about half a week later they emailed me and told me that they were out of stock on the BNC version and asked if it was ok if they just sent me the USB version - gladly accepted ofcourse.
When I get it I'll try to test it on the 3 pairs of headphones I have: Alessandro MS-1, AKG K240 MKII, and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250-ohm. It will be my first DAC/Amp as all I have used until now is direct analog out from a Xonar DX sound card (which by the way was a HUGE upgrade over the onboard sound, most likely because the onboard sound couldn't supply nearly enough power).
I'm a bit skeptical as to how much of an improvement if any at all the sparrow will be, as with all 3 pairs of my headphones I cannot set the volume higher than about 40% before my headphones begin to make me deaf, so they seem to be driven pretty well just connected directly to the sound card. For my laptop, it will definitely be a big improvement as all 3 pairs of headphones sound very thin in comparison to my desktop PC connected to the Xonar DX at any volume. Can't wait for it to get here.
Edited by Elanzer - 6/8/10 at 2:12ampost #248 of 7256/8/10 at 8:02ampost #249 of 7256/8/10 at 7:24pmQuote:
Will do. I think everyone who takes testing seriously attempts to control for their natural biases to the extent possible. In any case, I'm only going to be testing the two through a macbook pro, 580s and JH13s, and I really don't expect there to be much difference at all. I'd be surprised if there was. Sparrow's cheaper but with more space for components and wall power, D4 is almost twice the price but has to run off battery and accomidate two gains. I'd expect they'll come out nearly identical.post #250 of 7256/8/10 at 8:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by AVU
Will do. I think everyone who takes testing seriously attempts to control for their natural biases to the extent possible. In any case, I'm only going to be testing the two through a macbook pro, 580s and JH13s, and I really don't expect there to be much difference at all. I'd be surprised if there was. Sparrow's cheaper but with more space for components and wall power, D4 is almost twice the price but has to run off battery and accomidate two gains. I'd expect they'll come out nearly identical.
I am much more interested for you to compare the Sparrow to your mac book pro headphone out.post #251 of 7256/8/10 at 10:22pmQuote:
I intend to do this with my new MBP when the Sparrow arrives, for sure. By the way discussion of DBT is forbidden outside the Sound Science forum.
As for the Tenor chip, there were questions of its reliability, but I guess that Kingwa has solved them (or Tenor has) if he's using the chip. At worst, the chip is on a separate board. It would be a good idea if all his products that have USB included had it on a separate chip as it would then be easily upgradable should a better solution become available, then he'd just have to upgrade the USB board. As well, so could customers.post #252 of 7256/8/10 at 10:26pmpost #253 of 7256/8/10 at 10:49pm
Done a bunch of tests, but will do a bunch more before writing up the results. I do want to say the following for those thinking of buying the Sparrow: DIR 9001 instead of CS8116, and AD1852 instead of WM8740. The amp is plenty smooth and rich with the standard, low-jitter DIR and D/A - I can't imagine wanting it to sound any "softer or more tube like" than it already is.post #254 of 7256/8/10 at 11:13pmQuote:
Thats stupid, post it anyway.post #255 of 7256/8/10 at 11:14pmQuote:
Mine, as well as every other external DAC/AMP I have heard doesn't sound any difference than my intels onboard sound.
- Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Three Word Story 15 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 16 seconds ago
- › Placebophile Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 47 seconds ago
- › <2000euro with forward mid and upper mid and bass? 50 seconds ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7000 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear