Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Question on the word meh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question on the word meh - Page 2

post #16 of 35
I'm sure it started as "eh," but then the "m" became a stowaway on the front lines.
post #17 of 35
In sweden it´s öh.
post #18 of 35
I vote for internet slang.
In all these years I have never heard anyone using it in a conversation. Spoken that is.
post #19 of 35
^
That's pretty much how I feel about 'meh'. It's always on forums, sometimes in some kind of messenger(aim,msn,google,irc,etc) but never in an actual conversation.
post #20 of 35
It must be New England thing cuz I hear it all the time, in my school and with my friends.
post #21 of 35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh

Personally i don't use it nor do my friends, but in all honesty i find it very annoying when it's used. Will it ruin my day no, but it's kind of like the F bomb for me. It's just something very unnecessary when i see it or hear it.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
Personally i don't use it nor do my friends, but in all honesty i find it very annoying when it's used. Will it ruin my day no, but it's kind of like the F bomb for me. It's just something very unnecessary when i see it or hear it.
How is a word bothersome to anyone? Modern society has done a very odd thing to us, it not only sculpts us as individuals but dictates how we think. This word wasn't used when I attended school therefore its completely unnecessary and I find it annoying.

A few other new words for you folks to frown upon:
- webisode
- vlog
- hoody
post #23 of 35
bleh
post #24 of 35
When speaking, I use 'Eh' to the same effect that I would use 'Meh' online. To me, it's kind of a non-committal 'no.'
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
How is a word bothersome to anyone? Modern society has done a very odd thing to us, it not only sculpts us as individuals but dictates how we think. This word wasn't used when I attended school therefore its completely unnecessary and I find it annoying.

A few other new words for you folks to frown upon:
- webisode
- vlog
- hoody
No, if i were to think like that, then that's just ignorant. Maybe i should have elaborated further. It's when you overuse a term, it starts becoming annoying, on campus you'd hear so many lingo's and some you hear all the time, meh is one of those, that's why we choose not to say it. It's like hearing a song repeatedly, it will eventually start getting on your nerves.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
"Meh" is a poor substitute for "feh," which has been in much longer usage.
I disagree. Say "feh" and "meh" out loud. Meh requires less effort than feh. Feh's higher energy requirement can show greater disdain, but meh can show the complete lack of energy one has to even form a response beyond making a rather minimal sound.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
How is a word bothersome to anyone? Modern society has done a very odd thing to us, it not only sculpts us as individuals but dictates how we think. This word wasn't used when I attended school therefore its completely unnecessary and I find it annoying.

A few other new words for you folks to frown upon:
- webisode
- vlog
- hoody
I really enjoy the evolution of the English language. Look at how it was so poorly regarded that English scholars wrote in Latin, French, Dutch, basically anything that was not English to being one of the most widely used languages in the world.

We're at an interesting point of evolution as well as the internet and electronic depictions of letters and words are making as large an impact on the language as the movement from hand written script to the printing press.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
No, if i were to think like that, then that's just ignorant. Maybe i should have elaborated further. It's when you overuse a term, it starts becoming annoying, on campus you'd hear so many lingo's and some you hear all the time, meh is one of those, that's why we choose not to say it. It's like hearing a song repeatedly, it will eventually start getting on your nerves.
I probably hear the term "I know" about a hundred times a day but it never bothered me but "whatever" bothers me for some reason even though I only hear a few times a day.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdoi View Post
bleh
Exactly. Wherever it was spawned, hopefully the silly, passive aggressive term will vanish back there soon.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbox View Post
I probably hear the term "I know" about a hundred times a day but it never bothered me but "whatever" bothers me for some reason even though I only hear a few times a day.
It's the indifference of the term, I think. Just like meh, saying "whatever" is sort of a shorthand version of saying "I don't care". In most contexts it comes off as self-centered, rude, lazy, or any other variety of negative things. It's grating on the nerves when people everywhere act like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Question on the word meh