Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "studio" headphones vs "reference" headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"studio" headphones vs "reference" headphones - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post
Not true. You could get a PA2V2 for about $70. Even cheaper are the Penguin mint tin amps.
I think he was talking in respects to the amps that would at least drive the K701 to a decent level (I know he's owned a headfive before). Not sure how the two portables above would do with K701 as I've never tried it... I'd think not too well, but that's just going by the whole "fullsize vs portable and power differences" theory.
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neopac View Post
i´d suggest you try the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ... heared them when i was on shopping tour for my Sennheiser HD25 ... would´ve bought them instant if i wasn´t on the hunt for a "small" one. Definitly a great Bang-for-the-Buck Product and on top of my "to buy" list. Liked them better than my K240 and he doesn´t need expensive amplification to sing.

neopac
see this is why I said don't suggest anything now I have a whole nother round of research to do! these look great!

I like the idea of open headphones because I feel like I get a cleaner sound without the sound being muffled and bounced around inside the cans, but I haven't found any others in this price range other than the k702.

I was ALL READY to buy them, but that amp thing just worries me. I don't want to buy the wrong one, let alone spend an extra 100 or even 50 on yet another point of failure...

but getting back on topic, studio headphones seem to be for "capturing" audio, such as in the studio laying tracks, whereas reference headphones let you put the mix together. does that make sense?

I don't do any live recording; all my music is sequenced and rendered out to individual tracks which I then mix together in reaper. works great but I do need as much an accurate sound as I can get since i'm mixing this all myself without monitors...

the search continues
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabit View Post
I was ALL READY to buy them, but that amp thing just worries me. I don't want to buy the wrong one, let alone spend an extra 100 or even 50 on yet another point of failure...
You can start with some used K-702 and see how it works for you with the fast track pro, you can add the amp later.
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
You can start with some used K-702 and see how it works for you with the fast track pro, you can add the amp later.
in your original reply, you linked to your post where you mentioned you're using the audio kontrol 1 with the k702s. is that enough to drive the headphones or do you use a separate amp?

I found this information on my fast track pro for the headphone output:

Maximum Output -2.5dBV at THD < 0.05% into 32 ohms
Working Range 32 to 600 ohms

would this be USEABLE without an amp? remember I'm not going for crystal clear clarity, I just want the music to sound clean enough to put online or maybe some mix cds to give out. but if I'm gonna get dead silence at full blast then I'll probably keep looking

thanks again for everyones input!
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabit View Post
would this be USEABLE without an amp? remember I'm not going for crystal clear clarity, I just want the music to sound clean enough to put online or maybe some mix cds to give out. but if I'm gonna get dead silence at full blast then I'll probably keep looking

thanks again for everyones input!
If you need this hps only to make some DJ mix on the laptop, the M-50 on ebay for $95 will do the trick.
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
If you need this hps only to make some DJ mix on the laptop, the M-50 on ebay for $95 will do the trick.
no i'm not mixing music, I am producing music, but it's all digital. all the instruments are softsynths with the exception of vocals. the music is all sequenced, rendered to individual tracks which I am mixing together.

I need the headphones to be accurate to mix the levels on the final mixdown because I can't use monitors freely.
post #22 of 24
A used akg k240M or k240DF on ebay may be good options since you don't need closed phones. They are easier to drive than the k70X, so you may not need a separate headphone amp, but just the amp that's in your fast track pro
post #23 of 24
I, personally, wouldn't use the K701/2 to mix music, especially electronic music, since a lot of that is bass heavy. The K701/2s are bass light.

Honestly, the most evenly balanced cans I've used yet are the AT-M50s. Just the right mix of lows and highs. The mids are just a tiny bit recessed, but nothing major.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabit View Post
no i'm not mixing music, I am producing music, but it's all digital. all the instruments are softsynths with the exception of vocals. the music is all sequenced, rendered to individual tracks which I am mixing together.

I need the headphones to be accurate to mix the levels on the final mixdown because I can't use monitors freely.
Yes, I have some experience, push on the Rabbit Dream.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "studio" headphones vs "reference" headphones